Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3219912 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
I'm sure it's going to be very nice.  But the notion that the public largess is not ultimately going to find it's way into the concrete and steel of the stadium structure renovation itself is just a fairy tale.  Any KU person trying to claim that it won't is just being untruthful to you and to themselves.

So many projects at KU are just some the weirdest damn things you've ever seen on the financing side of the equation.  It's quite a fun observation.

Old timers call it smoke and mirrors.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
KUs stadium capacity is fine for staying in the Big 12, it's absolutely not fine if they're trying to be attractive to the Big 10. Pointing out that Northwestern also has a small stadium isn't a winning argument. The Big 10 isn't going to jump through hoops to add more Northwestern.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
KUs stadium capacity is fine for staying in the Big 12, it's absolutely not fine if they're trying to be attractive to the Big 10. Pointing out that Northwestern also has a small stadium isn't a winning argument. The Big 10 isn't going to jump through hoops to add more Northwestern.
UNC dropped their stadium attendance from 62k to 50k and still remain one of the top targets for expansion.

And sure, Northwestern is an extreme example of capacity reduction, but it won’t matter if KU stays at 47k or drops to the low 40’s, they have to do something to fill the stadium consistently and add premium seating.  And KU’s BIG10 invite would come due to the basketball program, not because of the football program having a 50k seat stadium.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I’m looking for who is arguing against stadium seating reduction and I don’t see anyone.

FYI UNC-CH is a smaller school than KU and rejects applicants at a rate that dwarfs KU.

Given that there are 230k plus D1 football seats within a 1.5 hours of CH, a seating capacity reduction would seem appropriate.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I’m looking for who is arguing against stadium seating reduction and I don’t see anyone.

FYI UNC-CH is a smaller school than KU and rejects applicants at a rate that dwarfs KU.

Given that there are 230k plus D1 football seats within a 1.5 hours of CH, a seating capacity reduction would seem appropriate.
I was definitely projecting in that post after having an irl conversation.  There’s a sense of panic amongst some that reduction means no big 10 and will be the catalyst that drops them to NAIA (paraphrasing).  The article came out at KU sports, and then the KU’s AD took to twitter from South Africa.  It all seems like a gigantic poop show that doesn’t need to exist over reducing capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
They are terrified of having a smaller capacity than the hole in the ground to the west. Small dick energy.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I was definitely projecting in that post after having an irl conversation.  There’s a sense of panic amongst some that reduction means no big 10 and will be the catalyst that drops them to NAIA (paraphrasing).  The article came out at KU sports, and then the KU’s AD took to twitter from South Africa.  It all seems like a gigantic poop show that doesn’t need to exist over reducing capacity.

Super weird to have that argument here though

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Super weird to have that argument here though
Fair enough

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
You guys are all just scared of the blue wings that be rising in, or close enough to, Kansas City.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Honestly they should reduce it more.  ~ 40k seems awful ambitious.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
 :cool:

How about Kansas?
It didn’t take long for coach Lance Leipold to make his mark in Lawrence last season, leading Kansas to its first bowl berth since 2008. The Jayhawks started 5-0, hosted ESPN’s College GameDay for the first time in school history and at one point were nationally ranked for the first time in 675 weeks.

That was enough to capture the attention of four-star cornerback Austin Alexander of Marian Catholic (Ill.) High School even though Kansas didn’t extend an offer until April. The former Wisconsin commit also fielded offers from USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State, Purdue and others this spring, but he committed to Kansas last week on the heels of an official visit to Lawrence.

“When I visited, it was nothing like I imagined. It was way better,” Alexander said. “I didn’t think Kansas was like this. It’s a great facility. It’s a great place. It’s great people. I definitely didn’t think it was like that.

“The new facilities they’re bringing in, I didn’t know (about). And the facilities they have now, I didn’t know they had any of that. I really just thought they were just a big basketball school. So that’s what definitely surprised me.”

Kansas’ athletic department announced in February that the locker room and weight room would undergo significant renovations, with construction beginning in April. The locker room is expanding from about 6,000 square feet to 8,000 and the weight room will go up to about 15,000 square feet with several sports science features added.

The commitment to enhanced facilities, along with Alexander’s relationship with Kansas defensive backs coach Jordan Peterson, was enough for the 6-foot-1, 165-pounder to say thanks but no thanks to the more proven schools with richer traditions and higher winning percentages.

Alexander ranks No. 412 overall in the Class of 2024 in the 247Sports Composite.

“My family, who doesn’t understand the recruiting process or things of that nature, they didn’t understand (turning down bigger schools),” Alexander said. “So it’s like, I’ve gotta explain it to them. So it kind of made me feel like, ‘Did I make the right decision?’ But in my heart, I felt like this is where I wanted to go.”

Alexander was scheduled to officially visit Purdue, Indiana and Illinois to round out June but said he canceled the trips. At the time of his commitment, he was hopeful other blue-chippers would follow. So far so good: Four-star safety Damani Maxson from Houston committed over the weekend.

“A lot of people look at the big schools like Michigan, but they’re going to see I see something in (Kansas),” Alexander said. “‘And if he’s a four-star, well what’s stopping me from committing?’ That’s what I feel like.”

Kansas has not had a blue-chip signee since the Class of 2019. Barring some late flips, the Jaywhawks will have a least two in 2024.

https://theathletic.com/4625675/2023/06/21/college-football-recruiting-5-stars-kansas-duce-robinson/
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever claimed  that on the inside the AFBC wasn’t a nice facility even before renovations?  A little bland on the outside.

Nice recruit for the hawks

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
anytime you nab the 412th overall guy its time to really hang a banner

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

I'm going to yea-but for Spracne; 412th isn't bad when your picking from 10 thousand athletes.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

I'm going to yea-but for Spracne; 412th isn't bad when your picking from 10 thousand athletes.

I was being serious.  If ku gets any guy with a single other offer it is an actual win

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I was being serious.  If ku gets any guy with a single other offer it is an actual win

I mean, we're quietly killing it in the 2024 class, if we can keep them ...

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
History awaits!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
LL is recruiting really well in Texas and Oklahoma. That is a very smart play by him. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
LL is recruiting really well in Texas and Oklahoma. That is a very smart play by him.

Also weirdly opening a pipeline to Michigan, it seems.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
I just saw the Jayhawks football season ticket ad.   I haven't seen such spirit and excitement since 2008.  Also, I LMAO at the amount of KSU exposure in the ad., as it kind of reminds me of the Gill videos where it looks like they are kicking ass when the opposite is true.  :tsc:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
That stadium definitely will be the new home to Allstars.  They are about to be announced as a high value partner of the remodel and will be relocating from their shitty strip mall in north Lawrence to the new strip mall at David Booth Memorial. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also, 20% of our commits for 2024 are 4 star or better.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also, 20% of our commits for 2024 are 4 star or better.

Hell yeah dude

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile