Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3221998 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
This is extra special because the squawks love making fun of the mall attached to Rupp
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't get it.  Doesn't a smaller stadium make them less attractive to the Big 10???

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
I don't get it.  Doesn't a smaller stadium make them less attractive to the Big 10???

Will look like way less empty seats if it's smaller
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't know that seating capacity is big for the big 10; that seems more of a SEC thing

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If this is done I believe  this would be the largest seating capacity reduction of any Power 5 public on campus stadium in history.   

The largest that I am aware are P5 privates - Stanford Stadium rebuild and LA Memorial's progressive (or regressive) reductions over the years, culminating in this last substantial reconfigure and renovation.

But USC is tenant, not an owner.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
BTW, I think at least a small seating capacity reduction is the right thing to do, and many schools should look into doing that.  But if KU follows through on that, that's commuter school P5 and mid-major level seating capacity levels, damn. 

K-State needs to keep it in the back pocket, but ticket sales are very strong right now.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Can’t believe they are wanting a restaurant mall next to the stadium
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Funding options for the project, which is expected to total more than $300 million, are still being developed, the consultant said. KU has secured more than $85 million in state funds and a guaranteed match that either will come from donors or from reserves from KU Endowment, if donor funding doesn’t meet the match requirements. KU also is exploring asking the Legislature for STAR bond financing, which would allow sales taxes generated on the site to be used for site costs. That type of special financing was used to build the Kansas Speedway and several other large tourist type attractions in the state.

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
That’s just the same stadium with a Buffalo Wild Wings and Kohls next to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're also gonna contract out the operations of the stadium, parking, and conference center.  So they won't make any money either. 

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Poor hawks, if only they hadn't blown all their money on a piece of paper explaining the rules of squeaky hoops written by their only squeaky hoops coach with a losing record

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TCU plays in front of 45k and was in the national championship game. This is a massive nothing burger.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Northwestern is building almost a billion dollar stadium at 35k capacity, it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TCU plays in front of 45k and was in the national championship game. This is a massive nothing burger.
TCU is a private school with 12k students.

Not a soul is saying that reducing stadium capacity lacks merit.

But this is a school with 24k students and a high % of on campus FT students that’s talking about reducing stadium capacity by 20% on a stadium that isn’t that big to begin with.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
at this point, anything is better than nothing

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
good for them
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
are they going to block the bell tower thing with an Olive Garden to really stick it to us?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
are they going to block the bell tower thing with an Olive Garden to really stick it to us?
if they replace the bell tower with a giant breadstick i’m going to lose it

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
if they replace the bell tower with a giant breadstick i’m going to lose it

I would quit college sports that would be such a huge own.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
I don't know that seating capacity is big for the big 10; that seems more of a SEC thing

I think having >100k is not abnormal in the big 10.  I think Camp Randall (Wiscy) and the U of Michigan stadiums both seat over 100k.  I think Nub's stadium seats >100k.    But then, KU would be an afterthought in football, maybe I should see what Rutgers and U of Maryland have. 

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
michigan does, no way wiscy or nebraska do

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
michigan does, no way wiscy or nebraska do

I stand corrected.  Wiscy is about 78k, Nebraska is 87k.  Still quite a bit bigger than Memorial even before reduction.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
For context, if Oklahoma moved to the Big Ten, they'd have the 5th biggest stadium capacity at 80k (Michigan, Penn State, OSU, Nebraska). When they move to the SEC, they'll be 9th - ahead of South Carolina (77k), Arkansas (72k), Miss. (64k), Mizzou (63k), Miss St (61k), Kentucky (61k) and Vandy (40K).

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
That “I’m one of you” remark was obviously dictated by current KU chancellor Girod, who is undoubtedly compensating for former Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little’s embarrassing hiring of KSU alum and spy Cheyanne Zulu.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm sure it's going to be very nice.  But the notion that the public largess is not ultimately going to find it's way into the concrete and steel of the stadium structure renovation itself is just a fairy tale.  Any KU person trying to claim that it won't is just being untruthful to you and to themselves.

So many projects at KU are just some the weirdest damn things you've ever seen on the financing side of the equation.  It's quite a fun observation.