Author Topic: The KU Rayhawks are NOT going through a rough patch. They make Raytown, Missouri proud!  (Read 3501589 times)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
I'm beginning to think KU shouldn't do a remodel, but instead start over.  I don't think that is an option for them.  They may be at a point of no return when it comes to football.

The Cycle:
Horrible facilities and basketball first school --> cannot get a quality coach
no quality coach -->  horrible football program, worst in conference, etc.
horrible football program --> below average attendance, revenue, and trouble raising funds
Bad attendance, revenue, etc. -->  horrible facilities, fan/player experience, etc.

All four of those categories in the circle have become so bad that they are going to have troubles getting back up to the level of Iowa St.   :cry:

It can't get any worse than K-State was before Snyder showed up.  Plus there's the fact that KU just went 12-1 and won an Orange Bowl not too long ago.

I'm about 50/50 with your statement.  KU will have a harder time coming back up than what Snyder did.  KU has to play Texas, OU, Baylor, and OSU every year.  3/4 of those teams were not relevant or in the conference when Snyder started.  It's a much tougher league than the old Big 8.  Honestly, you would have to hope for major coaching turnover, but the teams that needs to have coaching turnovers have the facilities to pull another quality coach. 

Your Orange Bowl is great, but the recent crap-shoot that has been KU football the past 5 seasons is making the bowl run forgettable for fans outside the KU network.  This is why the facilities arms race is important.  You could throw $50-80m into your stadium and it would still be the bottom of the Big 12.  That statement was not intended to be a joke or jab.  Add on top of it that bball comes first at KU and you will have trouble pulling funds, quality coach, etc.  Right now your biggest selling point is short drive from KC. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
Yeah, 1863, it's been established that you're horrible at using the Internet.  We get it already.  Sheesh.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm beginning to think KU shouldn't do a remodel, but instead start over.  I don't think that is an option for them.  They may be at a point of no return when it comes to football.

The Cycle:
horrible football program --> below average attendance, revenue, and trouble raising funds
Bad attendance, revenue, etc. -->  horrible facilities, fan/player experience, etc.

All four of those categories in the circle have become so bad that they are going to have troubles getting back up to the level of Iowa St.   :cry:

It can't get any worse than K-State was before Snyder showed up.  Plus there's the fact that KU just went 12-1 and won an Orange Bowl not too long ago.

I'm about 50/50 with your statement.  KU will have a harder time coming back up than what Snyder did.  KU has to play Texas, OU, Baylor, and OSU every year.  3/4 of those teams were not relevant or in the conference when Snyder started.  It's a much tougher league than the old Big 8.  Honestly, you would have to hope for major coaching turnover, but the teams that needs to have coaching turnovers have the facilities to pull another quality coach. 

Your Orange Bowl is great, but the recent crap-shoot that has been KU football the past 5 seasons is making the bowl run forgettable for fans outside the KU network.  This is why the facilities arms race is important.  You could throw $50-80m into your stadium and it would still be the bottom of the Big 12.  That statement was not intended to be a joke or jab.  Add on top of it that bball comes first at KU and you will have trouble pulling funds, quality coach, etc.  Right now your biggest selling point is short drive from KC.

Snyder had to face Nebraska, Colorado, and OU every year when he started. That's not a whole lot easier. It's also much easier to make a bowl game now than it was then, and there seems to be a whole lot more parity nationwide. I think KU can become relevant again in somewhat short order if the school would just hire a real coach and start updating their facilities. You know, try or something.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
When is the big day beems? You guys getting married in Oregon or are you going to do a beach wedding? I think i'm going to go w/ a beach wedding when I propose. Thoughts?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The Cycle:

KU's biggest obstacle is simply the fact that we're a basketball school.  The same is true for Kentucky, UNC, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, UConn, etc.  KU built a brand new football complex one year after winning an Orange Bowl, and the program completely tanked within a year or so.  It's all about finding a coach who can win with less (aka Snyder) and overcoming the basketball school stigma.

Offline 1863

• Combo-Fan
  • John Currie is a beautiful human bean.
    • View Profile
Just google'd "indoor KU football facility" and came up with a bunch of images, including this one:

:dunno:

:love: Thanks, apparently you found the correct combination of words  :excited: Ill call you if I get stuck on a word search.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Next time KU finds a coach who can win with less, they should consider not firing him after one bad season.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
they can't kick field goals in their indoor practice facility.. weirdly, they've missed like 74 of them the last few years.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
kstate lucked out a bit in getting snyder and then a second time on getting him to stay. most coaches that did what he did would move on from a kstate or a ku. he didn't. then when we got good and stayed good, we said holy crap this is a blast let's try to keep this going. so we started building stuff to help facilitate that. ku is first going to have to get lucky in their hire and then get lucky a second time with him wanting to stay. it can happen but it didn't with gill and it won't with weis. no reason it shouldn't happen one of these times though and then you see if you can luck out in getting him to stay and then ride the momentum from there.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Next time KU finds a coach who can win with less, they should consider not firing him after one bad season.

I agree.  It is sickening what Lew Perkins did to our football program, especially after KU had built some solid momentum.

The Big Train

When is the big day beems? You guys getting married in Oregon or are you going to do a beach wedding? I think i'm going to go w/ a beach wedding when I propose. Thoughts?

The way beems talks memorial with the hill behind would be way more beautiful than either of those places.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The way beems talks memorial with the hill behind would be way more beautiful than either of those places.
True. I think the 50 yard line marriage at the bill is a little played out. Just trying to get creative here.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
K-State's stadium is much nicer than KU's.  My only point is that the things money can't buy are better at KU.  If and when KU does upgrade its stadium, we will have a lot more to work with.

More on this.

:impatient:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I agree.  It is sickening what Lew Perkins did to our football program, especially after KU had built some solid momentum.

yep. he could've been the gary pinkle of ku but with less drunk driving and adultery and more wife beating and general verbal abuse of other humans.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
ku just needs one incredibly lucky hire of a hall of fame coach with a weird personality that keeps him from moving on to a bigger school, the willingness to completely abandon his family and personal life, the connections to put together one of the great all-time coaching staffs in conference history, and then have that staff come up with a different recruiting style that taps into a talent-rich market that for whatever reason no one else had thought to use much before, and then they can be a contender, just like us
emaw

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Mangino was skidding badly when he got canned.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
ku just needs one incredibly lucky hire of a hall of fame coach with a weird personality that keeps him from moving on to a bigger school, the willingness to completely abandon his family and personal life, the connections to put together one of the great all-time coaching staffs in conference history, and then have that staff come up with a different recruiting style that taps into a talent-rich market that for whatever reason no one else had thought to use much before, and then they can be a contender, just like us

I would add in "attain and harness some once in a generation in-state talent"

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just google'd "indoor KU football facility" and came up with a bunch of images, including this one:

:dunno:

This is really Jim Harbaugh's living room.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile

Thank god he got canned, though.  I mean, can you imagine if he stayed and Turner Gilled those years just like TG did?  At least this way they have some happy place to go when crap gets real bad.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

and? i mean how many times did tiger fans want to fire pinkle but there he was playing for an sec championship last year. year in year out success in football at ku is not possible. of course mangino was going to come back a bit. 1994 bill parcells would have a couple of .500 years at ku. bfd. canning mangino was ridiculously dumb and short sighted.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I feel like they sprinkled crack on Mangino on his way out to make him look like the bad guy. Now they just look like dumbasses and everyone loves Mangino.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I feel like they sprinkled crack on Mangino on his way out to make him look like the bad guy. Now they just look like dumbasses and everyone loves Mangino.

What is truly remarkable is that Mark has worked his way up to what is now an assistant position under Paul Rowdyboyy Rhodes and yet he is still winning that breakup.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile

What is truly remarkable is that Mark has worked his way up to what is now an assistant position under Paul Rowdyboyy Rhodes and yet he is still winning that breakup.

Does KU still send Mangino checks?  I think Weis is still collecting $$$ from Notre Dame.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Does KU still send Mangino checks?  I think Weis is still collecting $$$ from Notre Dame.

Mangino has been paid off for a while now.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Paid off and hanging out with his new "hot" GF, Paul Rowdyboyyy Rhodes, and all his new "popular" friends at Iowa State and making sure you guys see him every time you both are at the same bar.