Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3146792 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: KU football is hurting
« Reply #18925 on: December 20, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
i can't decide which phase of the KU Football Circle of Life is my favorite.  Whether it's over the course of three years or four years, the following cycle plays over and over:

Phase 1: Alright boys, new coach!  Not the most inspiring hire, but at least we've got a guy who knows football.  let's give him a ton of time.  He should be a great recruiter, and anyone is better than that last clown.

Phase 2: Tough season, but it's obvious we're moving in the right direction.  And none of this is unexpected given the shithole the last coach left us in. Let's be patient.

Phase 3:  Horrible season.  I still think this coach is the guy, but if we don't start seeing results next year I think we need to let him go.

Phase 4:  Fire this idiot.  Why is he recruiting so many jucos?  Our football team is an embarrassment.  Anyone would be better than this clown.

The "I can see improvement even though the scoreboard doesn't show it" ones are my favorite

Offline Ihaveteeth

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18926 on: December 21, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »
They should just hire Sean. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #18927 on: December 21, 2017, 11:57:45 AM »
They SHOULD make a run at Kendall Briles. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Ihaveteeth

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18928 on: December 21, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
 :Wha:
They SHOULD make a run at Kendall Briles.
Why hire Kendall when Art is available?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18929 on: December 21, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
I think by far the biggest overlooked aspect about LHC Bill Snyder's success is that he stayed at KSU.  Even if KU finds the right combination of desperate/hungry/talented coach to turn their program around, it is hard to imagine him staying at a basketball school after even a 6-win season.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18930 on: December 21, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »
i can't decide which phase of the KU Football Circle of Life is my favorite.  Whether it's over the course of three years or four years, the following cycle plays over and over:

Phase 1: Alright boys, new coach!  Not the most inspiring hire, but at least we've got a guy who knows football.  let's give him a ton of time.  He should be a great recruiter, and anyone is better than that last clown.

Phase 2: Tough season, but it's obvious we're moving in the right direction.  And none of this is unexpected given the shithole the last coach left us in. Let's be patient.

Phase 3:  Horrible season.  I still think this coach is the guy, but if we don't start seeing results next year I think we need to let him go.

Phase 4:  Fire this idiot.  Why is he recruiting so many jucos?  Our football team is an embarrassment.  Anyone would be better than this clown.

This.  Between the unrealistic expectations and impatience of the KU fan base, they simply cannot expect a rational progression to improvement.  Combine this with three bad coaching hires in a row (Turner Gill - lazy  /  Charlie Weis - lazy paycheck collector / David Beaty - inexperienced), they have got to be at or near rock bottom. 

KU faithful have turned against Zenger, once he gets fired, I can see a good AD using the logical approach of hiring a decent coach and giving them 5 years to clean up the program.  If they pull this off, they can expect some Iowa State level of play, which is light years ahead of where they are now. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18931 on: December 21, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »
It's a lot easier to give a coach 5 years when he's winning more than 1 game every year and not losing at home to midmajors. All of the coaches they have had since Mangino have been given enough time. None of them were going to start making it to bowl games in year 5.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18932 on: December 21, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
It's a lot easier to give a coach 5 years when he's winning more than 1 game every year and not losing at home to midmajors. All of the coaches they have had since Mangino have been given enough time. None of them were going to start making it to bowl games in year 5.

We'll never know, because they didn't give Turner enough time :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Ihaveteeth

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18933 on: December 21, 2017, 09:12:15 PM »

This.  Between the unrealistic expectations and impatience of the KU fan base, they simply cannot expect a rational progression to improvement.  Combine this with three bad coaching hires in a row (Turner Gill - lazy  /  Charlie Weis - lazy paycheck collector / David Beaty - inexperienced), they have got to be at or near rock bottom. 

KU faithful have turned against Zenger, once he gets fired, I can see a good AD using the logical approach of hiring a decent coach and giving them 5 years to clean up the program.  If they pull this off, they can expect some Iowa State level of play, which is light years ahead of where they are now.
What is the fewest number of wins that a coach could have in four years to warrant a fifth season?  Say they hired Paul Rhodes...would 6 wins in 4 seasons (let's say 4-8 OOC and 2-34 in conference) warrant a fifth year if he wanted a five year extension with $12,000,000 guaranteed?  I'll submit that it has to be good enough if for no other reason than how ridicuouls it sounds to say that 6-42 doesn't cut it, but 7-41 or 8-40 does.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18934 on: December 22, 2017, 11:00:26 AM »
Sorry if luk'd but does this mean Zenger is good at fundraising or does it mean that David Booth is so rich he can light $50,000,000 on fire and not be hurt at all?

http://cjonline.com/sports/hawkzone/2017-12-20/ku-amend-memorial-stadium-name-honor-major-donor-david-booth

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18935 on: December 22, 2017, 12:39:46 PM »
You will be surprised to hear that they think they really kicked huge ass in recruiting.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18936 on: December 22, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »
You will be surprised to hear that they think they really kicked huge ass in recruiting.

Rough count has them at 50% JUCO.  I don't know why, but it blows my mind that they let the coaches do this over and over again

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18937 on: December 22, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »
that orange bowl was the worst thing that could ever happen to ku

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18938 on: December 22, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »

Rough count has them at 50% JUCO.  I don't know why, but it blows my mind that they let the coaches do this over and over again

Fans wanted Beaty gone at the end of this season, which implies next season could well be make or break.  KU has forced more than one coach to use this short-sighted approach.

The Big Train

« Reply #18939 on: December 22, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »

Perhaps but it gave them stuff to talk about for decades

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18940 on: December 22, 2017, 11:31:49 PM »
They should just hire Sean.

When we hire Bohl they will

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18941 on: January 02, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
The dream is still alive...

If Michigan has another so so year and loses to OSU again and we go 1 - 11 I say we open up the check book and do whatever we can to get his wife to come home. He'll get fired if they lose 4 games and look average in a bowl game. We can all dream can't we?

I’m a huge Harbaugh fan. We all saw what he did with Stanford and the 49ers. Stanford was a doormat when he went there and they are still a Top 15ish program a decade later. If KU doesn’t pull a complete 180 under Beaty this next year, here is my ideal scenario:

August: Girod publically sets objective standards for Zenger and Beaty which are to be evaluated mid-season.

Mid-October: Girod makes Zenger fire Beaty, name Hull interim HC.

Late-October: Fire Zenger. Name Drue Jennings interim AD. Let Jennings drain the swamp that is the Athletic Department. Full review of our compliance staff (see our basketball eligibility problems), fundraising groups (Baty and Co.), and immediate termination of anyone who was involved in the ticket scandal in any capacity but managed to retain employment.

November: Spend the month setting up shop in Harbaugh’s head. “Happy wife, happy life.” “Complete program control.” “No more elitist Michigan alumni.”

Late November: Sign Harbaugh to long-term deal after he gets to boot at Michigan. His buyout is structured so that he gets what remains on his $50+ million contract, less whatever he gets paid at his next job. So we would get him at a discount and let Michigan pay the bulk of his early years salary.

December: Find the best AD money can buy. Give the AD whatever he wants (including unfettered access to university jet(s).

January: Name the AD position after Jennings.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18942 on: January 02, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
What if Harbaugh loses 3 games next year? That's not enough to fire him, but his seat would be pretty warm. I think KU would be crazy to fire Beatty in that case, even if he wins 0 games. The last thing they want is to be in year 2 of some loser coach when Jim becomes available. They really need to time this right, and that means keeping Beatty around until the opportunity presents itself.

Offline Ihaveteeth

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18943 on: January 02, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »

If Michigan has another so so year and loses to OSU again and we go 1 - 11 I say we open up the check book and do whatever we can to get his wife to come home. He'll get fired if they lose 4 games and look average in a bowl game. We can all dream can't we?

I’m a huge Harbaugh fan. We all saw what he did with Stanford and the 49ers. Stanford was a doormat when he went there and they are still a Top 15ish program a decade later. If KU doesn’t pull a complete 180 under Beaty this next year, here is my ideal scenario:

August: Girod publically sets objective standards for Zenger and Beaty which are to be evaluated mid-season.

Late-October: Fire Zenger. Name Drue Jennings interim AD. Let Jennings drain the swamp that is the Athletic Department. Full review of our compliance staff (see our basketball eligibility problems), fundraising groups (Baty and Co.), and immediate termination of anyone who was involved in the ticket scandal in any capacity but managed to retain employment.

November: Spend the month setting up shop in Harbaugh’s head. “Happy wife, happy life.” “Complete program control.” “No more elitist Michigan alumni.”

Late November: Sign Harbaugh to long-term deal after he gets to boot at Michigan. His buyout is structured so that he gets what remains on his $50+ million contract, less whatever he gets paid at his next job. So we would get him at a discount and let Michigan pay the bulk of his early years salary.

December: Find the best AD money can buy. Give the AD whatever he wants (including unfettered access to university jet(s).

So...not only are they getting Harbaugh, but they're getting him at a discounted rate and doing it without an athletic director.  It makes sense because of the "anti-elitist" angle.  If there's one thing a multi-millionaire who grew up in Palo Alto, attended Michigan, coached at Stanford, San Francisco, and then Michigan hates, it's elitists from Ann Arbor.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18944 on: January 02, 2018, 04:40:21 PM »

So...not only are they getting Harbaugh, but they're getting him at a discounted rate and doing it without an athletic director.  It makes sense because of the "anti-elitist" angle.  If there's one thing a multi-millionaire who grew up in Palo Alto, attended Michigan, coached at Stanford, San Francisco, and then Michigan hates, it's elitists from Ann Arbor.

well.  have you considered that they're giving the AD unfettered access to the university jet(s)? i mean, fettered access is one thing but unfettered access is next level blue blood crap.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18945 on: January 02, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
That orange bowl was also a major factor in Missouri and A&M leaving.  It was a BS move by Lew et al to even approach the Orange Bowl committee.  It was a BS move by the other BigXII schools not to tell Lew et al to STFU and go to your assigned slot.  (KSU rule)

:dubious:

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #18946 on: January 02, 2018, 04:57:26 PM »
Would he get full access to the rape dorms?

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18947 on: January 02, 2018, 06:55:00 PM »

Unfortunately we have some of the same dumb eff fans as these morons.  The phog has as much right to laugh at us.  I mean we should at least call Chip Kelly and Bob Stoops.  Right?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18948 on: January 02, 2018, 07:10:47 PM »
Bob Stoops isn't coaching, has coached here, and his sons might play here.  So yeah, totally the same thing.  Oh, and we're not a complete crap program like KU either.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18949 on: January 02, 2018, 07:38:06 PM »
Would he get full access to the rape dorms?
unfettered

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.