Author Topic: Cancer thread  (Read 18515 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Cancer thread
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:19:49 AM »
Really close family friend/2nd dad etc is in the last stage of lung cancer.

anyone else gone through this?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cancer thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
of any kind? or just lung? Lots of family experience

Lost an uncle a few years ago, great guy, long battle. Have a 7 year old cousin with neuroblastoma, in his 3rd year, still battling. Sister in her 3rd year with Breast Cancer, she's way stronger than I think I'd be, she's still battling.

Cancer rough ridin' sucks, no doubt

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 12:34:28 AM »
no

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »
Nope.

Sorry emaw friend.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:37:09 AM »
My wife was diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer a couple of weeks ago.  Prognosis is good, but we are still scared.  She's actually handling it better than I am.

Lung cancer is nasty.  Sorry to hear that, Cire.  And, Shooter, I hope all goes well with you, too.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:53:35 AM »
He was terminal when it was diagnosed 3 years ago.  Responded really well to the initial chemo but it has turned bad quick.  will know more on Monday but man, huge KITN. 

Pan, that is a lot of stress, sounds like she will kick the balls out of it. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Cancer thread
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:56:41 AM »
Man, sorry to hear about each of these.  T&P's bros.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:27 AM »
Great Rugger and EMAW brother in his early 40's just found out he has a glioblastoma (the worst primary brain tumor you can get). He is staying positive and and has a great attitude. I don't know how.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »
CF3 bait

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:19 AM »
Trim.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »
My best friend's little brother (30yrs old) has three days left.  He is at home with his parents and surrounded by friends and family. 

edit: I feel your pain Cire.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »
You're gonna need a mason jar.  I saw EMAW ones at the fancy Dillon's on Rock Road the other day.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
hope for the best Cire, Dobber, and Panj... and BF, after seeing long battles filled with never ending pain and bad news after bad news, I honestly think they're happier to go than continue the struggle

sucks, but.. EMAWs, 5 Hearts, Can't Lose

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
Great Rugger and EMAW brother in his early 40's just found out he has a glioblastoma (the worst primary brain tumor you can get). He is staying positive and and has a great attitude. I don't know how.

I saw his wife's posts getting a ton of likes, but didn't know exactly what was going on. Damnit. I hope to see you both at alumni weekend :frown:

My love and support to everyone who is dealing with this.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »
My father-in-law was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer a few years ago. We moved him in with us and took care of him for his last 9 months. Hospice is a great resource when the final days come. T's & P's guys.

Offline StevieWonderSniperSchool

• Fan
  • just win baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
Lost both grandfathers and an aunt to lung cancer in the last 10 years. Also lost my wife's mother a couple years ago to stage 3 cancer. Very difficult thing to endure. T's and P's to everyone dealing with it, past or present.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »
My wife was diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer a couple of weeks ago.  Prognosis is good, but we are still scared.  She's actually handling it better than I am.

sdmom had this. it is a pretty easy operation and is one of the least deadly kinds of cancers or whatever. shouldn't need to even have followups very often after they remove it. hope it goes well.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »

sdmom had this. it is a pretty easy operation and is one of the least deadly kinds of cancers or whatever. shouldn't need to even have followups very often after they remove it. hope it goes well.

Yeah, they say she's going to take radioiodine, and that's going to kill everything (supposedly).  Then they'll monitor with blood tests to see if they killed it all.

The original tumor is already gone; she had surgery a few weeks ago.  Every test we took before that was inconclusive for cancer.  So, just to be safe, she had the surgery anyway.  Turns out it was a good idea that we did because it was cancer and it had spread.

Anyway, it's scary and it sucks, and I feel for everyone in this thread.  I know how it felt when they used the word cancer and my wife in the same sentence.  I can only imagine what it would feel like for someone to hear that they have it, especially one that's more deadly than the one she has.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Grandma died from leukemia. Grandpa died from prostate cancer. Mom had breast cancer, but beat it last month. It sucks. t's and p's to all.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »
My best friend growing up was diagnosed with leukemia the week before her 20th birthday.  Spent the next few months in KUmed's super elite cancer center (:tsc:) and went into remission in time to return to Boston College in the spring.  That july she relapsed and had to get a bone marrow transplant.  Spent both her 20th and 21st birthdays in an oncology unit going through absolute hell, but is again in remission and doing very well.  Still on track to graduate in 8 semesters, and applying to med schools.

I know that not all of these stories have a happy ending, and I'm truly sorry for anyone's losses. But you have to try and stay positive.  It's a rough ridin' struggle, and it hurts, but you can't let said loved ones see how much it hurts you.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
I can only imagine what it would feel like for someone to hear that they have it, especially one that's more deadly than the one she has.

Let me see if I can find the email announcement I sent.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
I can only imagine what it would feel like for someone to hear that they have it, especially one that's more deadly than the one she has.

Let me see if I can find the email announcement I sent.

:lol:

Here's an unbelievable result of us finally beating ku last weekend.  After going to the game in lawrence, we drove to Manhattan to party.  As you'd all expect, I got insanely drunk and in a couple bar fights.  When my various scars and bruises weren't healing so quick the week after, I got a general check-up with a doctor here in Wichita.  He referred me for some x-rays and next thing I knew, I'd been diagnosed with Cancer in my right ball.  I'd always thought it was a little bigger than my left, but never had any reason to think that was strange.  I've since called a couple girls who have handled me and would have others to compare it too, and apparently that is a little unusual. 

Anyways, I've got surgery here Friday and in the weeks after, they'll make sure that the problem's solved and it wasn't spread anywhere else.  The doctor seemed optimistic that I'd caught it early and that this should take care of it.  I'll probably be taking it easy all weekend and then I should be good as new, except for getting used to having 1 ball.  Sorry, a friend of mine from out west already called first dibs on getting the old one if we get to keep it.

I should have my phone on me through the week, and I'll be home over the weekend.  Kim and Jae will probably be at the surgery or soon thereafter.  Their numbers are xxx-xxx-xxxx and xxx-xxx-xxxx respectively if you're dying for an update.

Again, the insane thing is I never would've found out about it had we not won that game and had I not in turn gotten so banged up celebrating.  If we keep this win streak going, who knows what else I'll learn?

-Trim

P.S.  Just in case my right ball was the baby-producing one, I'm leaving some samples at a sperm bank tomorrow around lunch and again thursday morning.  So at least know I'm getting the most out of these last couple days with both balls.

Like somebody said above, it's all about staying positive.  I freaked out a couple times, but for the most part all the medical people I dealt with said I was the funniest patient they'd ever had.  I mean, balls don't stop being funny just because one gets cancer in it, right?

And I kept the ball.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
 :thumbs:

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
SUCK ON THAT EMAIL, CARTIERFOR3  :curse:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »
Their numbers are xxx-xxx-xxxx and xxx-xxx-xxxx respectively if you're dying for an update.

Lol at Trim actually censoring someone's information for privacy reasons.