Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 448647 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #500 on: August 21, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
Excellent post by Brock Landers. :thumbs:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »
Montana State's gym looks like my high school gym.

What is that, an Astrodome for ants??

:lol:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 04, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
WEBER STATE WILDCATS

I made it up to Odgen this week to have a look at the Weber State facilities.  Weber seemed to be the best fit of the area schools for this thread.  Plus they are also purple wildcats, so I may adopt them as my local team.  Maybe they just need my support to get their terrible football program turned around. 

The Dee Events Center is another roundhouse/dome-type arena.  They have a lot of great parking and a familiar looking wildcat right outside.   

The WSC at Stewart Stadium was completed in 2001 but only stretches from about 30 to 30 maybe.  Underneath the stands on the south end is the track team locker room.  The weight room is under the north end of the stands.  The stadium is right up against the Wasatch range, but the best view is to the north where you can see Ben Lomond towering over the Ogden valley. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 04, 2013, 10:26:03 PM »
Same size of ku's pud stadium but a billion times nicer setting.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 05, 2013, 12:25:58 AM »
Weber State! Amazing The Setting. Pud stade though. Thanks for bumping this thread, I was just thinking about adding to it because today I did some recon work on Tulane's campus.  :users:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 02, 2013, 02:21:43 AM »
TROY (STATE[?]) TROJANCATS

You are looking live at Troy, Alabama! Really excited about this one because it was such a cute little surprise nestled in kind of a shitty expanse of bleh southern Alabama towns. Really kinda gross everywhere in the surrounding area and town but then the little sports complex is like totally adorbz. Way better than I expected it to be for a Sun Belt team that was Division II (not I-AA) less than 30 years ago. They have two decks! And stands on 3 of their 4 sides of the field! (And soon to be a few rows of stands incorporated into some high donor crap/Vanier thing in the other end zone that I think they're maybe gonna break ground on soon.)

I just love these guys. Pretty quaint if you ask me. They almost beat Missouri here a few years ago!

It always kinda bugs me out when stadiums have larger upper decks than the lower decks. Top heavy. But these little Trojan guys are so cute that I'll look past that architectural quirk and just be happy that they have two decks...on two sides! :D

Also note that their WSC legitimately almost stretches end zone to end zone. It was so big and way nicer than I expected it to be. Did I mention I am so happy for them!!!!

Pretty quaint. I bet going to a game here every Tuesday night is super duper fun and all the students and townies are really into it and stuff and they may not sell out but by god they've got heart.

(End zone paint job is v. boring, btw. That's the only knock against the stuff INSIDE of the stadium.  ( :frown: for later.)

But guys it is with heavy heart that I report to you that I THINK (not positive) that this is their football practice field. No fence. And those goalposts make me sad. Positively Northwestern'y over in this part of the Trojan Sports Megaplex. :frown: :frown:

Trojanqat Huupz has an incredible new arena that they built definitely within the last few years (not sure). I am so jealous. (But really they should've just kept playing at Ahearn.)

Guys does the above photo remind anyone else of the First Tennessee Bank building in Red Bank, TN lmao?

It only seats 6,000 which is actually perfect for this adorable little town because it's quaint but still big enough for modern amenities LIKE PRETTY MUCH 360* RIBBON BOARDS   :excited: :excited: :excited: .

You've noticed by now that this Arena has Superdome chairs. (10 stadium thread points to whomever can smirk at that joke without Googling.) The end zone bleachers are cutout benches instead of chairbacks because I can only picture that all the little students in this place get really rowdy when the JYTs take the court! (Enormous videoboard.)

***BatTrojez Bonus Pic!***

I snuck around the sports Megaplex to get a picture of all the plastic Trojans that Mr. Johann Currie (Trojan athletic director) put on the outside of their WSC. Answer is tons but they're so small you can't see them here. Anyway. The baseball stadium was back there and it's better than I expected.

HOW CUTE IS THIS!! :love:

RAWR, RAH, RABBLE, RAMMA, BEST TEAM IN ALABAMA
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:13:44 AM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 02, 2013, 06:17:15 AM »
Their basketball arena has a pergola, I've seen it all now  :D

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 02, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »
Thoughts on Troy St:

1. Banners? Man they have lots of banners. What for?
2. How elite are those red seats in the football stadium? How much Ahearn fund money to you have to give for those?
3. I like the brick around the top of the seats in the south end zone. Pure. Class.
4. Their lighting if for serious better than ours was prior to 2013.
5. SB, don't be sad for their busted goal post. Obviously what happened was they had a big Wednesday night game on ESPNU a few years back and tore down the goal post. They then moved it to the practice field as a tribute/memorial/motivational tool for the team to remember that awesome night.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 02, 2013, 10:31:05 AM »
5. SB, don't be sad for their busted goal post. Obviously what happened was they had a big Wednesday night game on ESPNU a few years back and tore down the goal post. They then moved it to the practice field as a tribute/memorial/motivational tool for the team to remember that awesome night.

God, I love these guys. So adorable. :blush:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 02, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »
Ribbon board, tho.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 02, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »
The only thing that was a little weird at all -- and this is the most minor of gripes so dax can just go ahead and untwist those knickers -- is that the ribbon board and enormotron were so bright that they caused a huge glare off the shiny new court if you looked at it from the right angle from the end zone seats. Like there was this one bright white graphic that was sort of a default screensaver graphic that was duper bright white and would flip around and bug me out every 13 seconds. Was disorienting but I'm sure during an actual game when they show real content it wouldn't be that bad.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:31:43 AM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 02, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »
i enjoyed that review, SB.  go troy!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 02, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »
Nice work on Troy, Ski Ben. Their basketball arena is pretty impressive.

Also I noticed on the pic of their practice field they have several Nattys listed on the back of their scoreboard. What a powerhouse!!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 02, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
Nice work on Troy, Ski Ben. Their basketball arena is pretty impressive.

Also I noticed on the pic of their practice field they have several Nattys listed on the back of their scoreboard. What a powerhouse!!

D-II studs in the 80's.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 04, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »
Guys. Guess what's being built approximately 1 mile from my Canadian friend's house?  :excited:

http://yulmanstadium.com/

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2013/12/tulane_working_on_2014_footbal.html#incart_river_default

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 04, 2013, 03:35:04 PM »
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATSCATZ

i love the art deco font. looks like the great gatsby or hercule poirot

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 04, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Guys. Guess what's being built approximately 1 mile from my Canadian friend's house?  :excited:

http://yulmanstadium.com/

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2013/12/tulane_working_on_2014_footbal.html#incart_river_default

look at these losers and their not full bowl!!!!!!!!!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 04, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »
T's and P's about that, seven is right. I just know there were losery neighborhood townies who made Tulane scale back their original plans of height (and footprint??) so they could preserve the neighborhood feel and one or two more houses. The houses are admittedly elite, though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:11:38 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 19, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »
Dean Dome looks SO LEGO'y. Anybody ever been there? I can't decide if it looks awesome or sterile.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 19, 2013, 03:24:30 AM »
Dean Dome looks SO LEGO'y. Anybody ever been there? I can't decide if it looks awesome or sterile.

It's sterile, and like most college venues they put in too many seats.   While it's all cushioned chairbacks, it's still cramped.   They haven't done much to the arena and concourse itself since it was built.   Which is pretty amazing considering the gazzillions of dollars they've spent on football facilities over the last 10-15 years.  They did add on some very nice basketball offices a few years ago.   They don't have a basketball practice facility because they have Carmichael Auditorium just down the street to go practice in if they need to.   They just did a really nice renovation to Carmichael and that's where the women play.

Many wish they would have never left Carmichael. 

Offline The_Wippuh

• Plainsman
  • Combo-Fan
  • SEC! SEC! SEC! (except Tennessee, eff them!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 19, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
Auburn Tigercats: New Huupz!

Their old arena was very much like a bigger City Auditorium. It even had individual wooden seats, woof. Their new place is pretty small (9,121) but is just incredibly elite. It has a museum of Auburn athletics attached in the concourse/lobby/entryway, and it is a lot like a hotel in said concourse as far as carpet and whatnot. But the arena itself is v. nice. Clean sightlines and a small upper deck. And seats that spell stuff, which I like.

But first, the spot where the old oaks of Toomer's Corner were. :frown:

Arena time! Told you the concourse was hotelly.

Seats that spell stuff!

Better view of scoreboard and upper deck.

Their upper deck nosebleeds.

Now on to the museum thingy.

Kiss the rings.

Kiss the rings. Where's your trophy?

Aubie throughout the years.

No pics of Jordan Hare?  I don't think it's that impressive, aesthetically, but most big SEC places aren't.  The new bball arena is suppose to be awesome, glad to see more pics of it.  As for the comments about traffic after the game, most of the SEC schools are like that.  Little towns that because the 5th largest city in the state on gameday type thing.

Beard Eaves, the old bball arena had a lot of interesting history.  Our baseball field was done by the same architects that did Camden Yard.

Really enjoy this thread, especially the stuff on Troy.  Their alums are so proud to talk about their stuff and how awful Alabama/Auburn/UAB are.

Coleman Coliseum is crap.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 19, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
would trade the fOOD for that area in like a second.  would give them oscar in the trade if it helped get the deal done.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 19, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
Those Aubies:  :Flipped off x2:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 19, 2013, 05:07:09 PM »
exterior of the smith center is also very spaceship-y, ski-be

dax is also right in that the smith center is sterile. pretty cool seeing all the banners with the big names on them, but that's honestly the biggest appeal to the place.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 19, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »

the dean dome is crap, as evidenced here

the setting is nice though.  the basketball offices are on the left of that pic that ctc posted above. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.