Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 438589 times)

Offline davegladow

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eyeblack Odyssey
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #1025 on: May 14, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »
:D  I could call it "The Eyeblack Odyssey."

TAKEN :shakesfist:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 15, 2015, 12:16:48 AM »
Hey friends, SB here again. Guys get ready because the sports complex we visit today has one truly bonkers bizarro venue and a couple others that are more normal but still have minor bonkers'y things about them. I mean this is the team that has two football stadiums in two different cities, which I'll address in a later post because it's superfluous right now and I know you guys are dying to see if they have any old ladies vacuuming the field at their main stade. So we're in Fayetteville, Arkansas today and buckle up cuz this is gonna be a wild one. We'll start with the football stadium, which is unusual but at least doesn't have any obstructed view seats. Then we'll trot across campus to Bud Wal-Mart arena, which is kinda cool but kinda cookie-cutter but kinda weird in that it chooses weird places for chain link fences and gigant basketball goals. Then I'll save the weirdest for last. Their old huupz arena. Lotsa architectural wtfs in that one.

Also the area around Fayetteville is supes :love:. PigAggieville was honestly pretty meh from what I was expecting for an SEC town of nearly 80,000 that is the only BCS team in the state. Then again, Baton Rouge sucks balls, so what do I know? Okay, set your clocks back to December 4th, 2011 because once again here on goEMAW.com it's time to dig into the pig.

University of Arkansas Razorcats

Despite what you might think you see here, the field at Hog U. Stadium isn't actually made out of the top of this building. Just looks that way because of an optical illusion in the foreground. :eek: :eek: :eek:

See? You can see the same building in the foreground of this picture of the stadium, before its expansion/redesign. (I think the upper deck in this 1970s'y photo may have been knocked down and rebuilt during their massive 2001 renovations, a la Washington and also a la LSU? Not sure. Actually, pretty sure. But not positive.)

So this stade has been around forever, but you'd never know it by its design. I think they kinda did a great job modernizing the style with expansions so it didn't feel like an old stadium where they just cobbled together a bunch of other new crap, like what clearly happened at Texas. I mean I legitimately thought that Pig Agg had built an entirely new stadium in 2001. Then again, 2001 SB barely knew anything about the world.  :Chirp:

Pretty tall. A little bit of a hole-in-the-ground, but mostly just recessed in a valley which offers a breathtaking view of the surrounding majestic rolling mountains. You know, just like at KU. (T's and P's on that cheap-looking siding, though. If I were Jim Williams & Jim, I'd be pissed.)

View from the other side. You can actually make out where their tiny old press box was. Actually you know what? I take back what I said before. This part is cobbled together hardcore. They probably should've just demolished that old press box entirely. I mean can you imagine if ksu cats state u. had just built the WSC around The Dev, and before that had built The Dev around that old press box that said "Fightin' Wildcats" and had all the Big 8 Team logos? This is basically the Russian Babooshka dolls of press boxes. Pig Aggy: wtf were you thinking?? Just tear it down. Surely it's not that nice in there.

Look at this hill and chain link fence. They want to be us so bad. :cool:

Hey great old press box and great old bishop stadium lights, where'd you get those things, bishop stadium amirite lmao?

Put all your problems on ICE. (See also: PARTY PLANNING)

Man. What a great ratio of upper deck rows to lower deck rows. I like it. Bonus points: can you spot the section of original seats on this side from like 1931 when this stadium seated 13,000 people? :D

And here we have the thing that makes me super mad. You have this insane, architecturally elaborate, very legit, mostly new stadium. BUILD PERMANENT BLEACHERS ON ALL FOUR SIDES. Who are you, rough ridin' Nicholls State? Are you goddamn Tulsa? Have some self respect and put at least 10 rows of permanent bleachers on that side so you can call it a rough ridin' day. Drives me absolutely insane. Looks so small-timey. (Razorback mural thingy is p. cool tho, and at least it makes it very obvious where to put the stage when they inevitably have a 3 Doors Down concert for 70,000 adoring locals.)

So up there is where I really figured out the weirdest part of that stadium. (Now SB is gonna steal a few photos from The Series of Tubes to explain what he means.) For many years, when you saw it shown on TV, it always looked like this:

"Whoa, what a huge stadium! Even the upper deck end zones have like 20 rows and have some weird cutouts! Big stade!"

Then Arky kinda starts to suck a little bit and fewer people come and the game comes back from commercial and they're accidentally showing the empty seats up top and you're like, "Wait a minute. Are those.......are those falsies?"

And the answer is yes. They have major super duper temporary metal bleachers that they prolly make a bunch of pud arky state grads lug all the way up there. (lmao, just a little arkansas in-state rivalry joke there for you guys)

And then, when they're in the midst of a truly horrible season with a fat slob football coach who made a truly lateral move, you sneak in, and those bleachers are completely gone and now it's just a weird small 3-row upper deck with this massive concrete slab full of benches behind it. You feel duped, because what was once a towering and impressive end zone upper deck has been reduced to a place where the AD throws up some tents and sells diet pepsis and where the teens get bored with the game and congregate up there and talk about which Abercrombie Eagle jeans they're going to buy that week. Stupid teens. Anyway, here's my blurry photo from before which shows the bleachers completely taken away because their team was so LOL last year.

I mean srsly. Look at how pud that end zone looks from way up here behind the top row (row 4) of the other end zone. Just get some bleachers, guys. But srsly it was p. high up. Even a runner cat like myself got way winded when climbing up the stairs to the top of that end zone stade. Was so high up, you guys! Probably woulda been even higher up if they actually put permanent bleachers up there. :eek: (Doors were locked to the sideline upper deck sections, sorry, so this is all we get for views.)

Okay, time to travel across campus.

So from the outside, Bud Weiser Arena is super lolzy. Hey building: why are you plaid? Are you Al Borland?

Al's mom.

I think the arrangement of all the banners is cool, even if looking closely at the individual banners you see that they look a little New Mexico'y. Also the streamers in the rafters are very "SB's 8th birthday party'y."

I mean that basketball goal jumbotron is so ridiculous. Look at it and try not to laugh.

Guys I'm going to come clean. I love the razorback logo.

But I loved the old one so much more. It was an enthusiastic, sloppy, slobbering mess. Kinda reminded me of every member of the Tool Time audience whenever Heidi walked out to show off the latest Binford radial saw.

Okay so let's step up the weird.

You guys probably should've built the ceiling like 20 feet higher because these rafters are all up in my grill.

HEY ARKANSAS. Explain to me why you have a fence here at the top row of your upper deck. Explain it to me. Explain why, when I'm watching a Razorhogs game from the top row here in Pud Walton Arena and I turn around to see what's behind me -- inside of a motherfucking basketball arena -- why I see this fence. Tell me why you didn't just build a wall. Tell me. Tell me why you went with a fence. Are you expecting the top half of Wilson's face to pop over and dispense sage advice to you when you're having marital problems? Because I'm looking at it and it's chain link instead of a wood fence so surely it can't be that. :don'tcare:

Just take this arena, tie it around my waist, rip some holes in my jeans, crank up some tunes from Seattle's own Stone Temple Pilots, and what do you have? 7th grade SkinnyBenny.

Okay guys that's enough from Bug Walgreen's Arena. Time to move on to the really weird. Barnhill Arena. Used to be basketball, now is just like volleyball and gymnastics. I was super pumped to see this place because you guys know me and you know just how much I love googling teams' old Ahearn-type arenas or whatever. You know, the more traditional, conventional places teams used to play before they got a new modern look -- like, say, if you were only familiar with the goth version of Mark Taylor from the later seasons but got curious and wanted to know what he looked like earlier on when he was just the Tool Man's unassuming runt.

WELL THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT. There is nothing conventional about PigAggy's old arena. This isn't just some gym. It is the most bizarre-ass layout I have ever seen for a gym. Ever. Today we're going to learn more about Barnhill Arena, gang. (We'll call ourselves The Barnhill Gang and do bluegrass versions of Sugarhill Gang songs.) This place is honestly so weird that with my camera phone, there was, like, nowhere you could be to truly capture the weird essence of this layout. So this is mostly gonna be more professional photos with a few of mine mixed in.

First, give yourself an idea and look at the footprint of the building. It's the one above the grass practice field. Looks fairly standard but may a LIL bit unusual.

I got in there because they happened to be playing a volleyball game against Mississippi State. First thing you'll notice is that, like the arenas of Alabama and Butler, the court is oriented 90 degrees away from what you'd expect with the way the ceiling runs. In other words, think if they had rotated the Ahearn court one turn. Then look at the rafters. Creates a major wtf effect. Also notice that the baseline bleachers go up into the GD heavens.  :Wha: :Wha: :Wha:

The areas behind the baskets were so weird. What arenas have their End Zone Fun Zones be so skinny yet go up sooooooo high? LOLOLOLOL:

Now my favorite part. Look at that weird-ass, tiny, disconnected wedge section of bleachers. Look at it.  What are those seats pointing to??? AM I SUPPOSED TO BE HAVING  A GOOD VIEW OF THE PEOPLE SITTING BEHIND THE BASKET??? ARE YOU TRYING TO EMULATE THE END ZONE BLEACHERS AT McNEESE STATE? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

I'm gonna try to find some more good pictures of these, because they are in all four corners in one way or another. If I were one of those annoying chicks who says, "I can't even!" when she's frustrated, then I would put that phrase right here. Instead, I'll just say that each one of those bizarre sections made less sense to me than the fact that Jill Taylor EVER let Tim do ANY home repair when she KNEW it would end with him electrocuting himself and/or getting his foot stuck in a cement bucket.

Seriously. Wut.

LOLWUT.

WUT IS THIS FLOOR PLAN.

Get your crap together, Arkansas.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:21:07 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 15, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »
lol i enjoyed that post immensely. Thank you SB.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 15, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »
Bonkers SB, pure bonkers.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 15, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »
so when you're in the endzone upperdeck, you can't even see the endzone?  what awful sightlines

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 15, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »
The yell leader with the old megaphone seems pretty excited for that v-ball match. Love the zeal. Did he megaphone them to a Razorback victory?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 15, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »

that guy has the most arkansas razorback fan face that i could possible think of

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 15, 2015, 09:45:50 AM »

that guy has the most arkansas razorback fan face that i could possible think of

you have to respect the crisp line keeping his sideburns at bay

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 15, 2015, 09:53:25 AM »
Thanks, SB. Truly enjoyed.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: May 15, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »
:lol: Tell me why you went with a fence. Are you expecting the top half of Wilson's face to pop over and dispense sage advice to you when you're having marital problems?  :lol:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 15, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »
i enjoyed that. also, that fence is the weirdest.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 15, 2015, 02:38:21 PM »
Well it's pretty clear that Scottie Pippen wasn't an architecture buff when it came to his college choice

The Big Train

« Reply #1038 on: May 15, 2015, 02:46:27 PM »
Hey friends, SB here again. Guys get ready because the sports complex we visit today has one truly bonkers bizarro venue and a couple others that are more normal but still have minor bonkers'y things about them. I mean this is the team that has two football stadiums in two different cities, which I'll address in a later post because it's superfluous right now and I know you guys are dying to see if they have any old ladies vacuuming the field at their main stade. So we're in Fayetteville, Arkansas today and buckle up cuz this is gonna be a wild one. We'll start with the football stadium, which is unusual but at least doesn't have any obstructed view seats. Then we'll trot across campus to Bud Wal-Mart arena, which is kinda cool but kinda cookie-cutter but kinda weird in that it chooses weird places for chain link fences and gigant basketball goals. Then I'll save the weirdest for last. Their old huupz arena. Lotsa architectural wtfs in that one.

Also the area around Fayetteville is supes :love:. PigAggieville was honestly pretty meh from what I was expecting for an SEC town of nearly 80,000 that is the only BCS team in the state. Then again, Baton Rouge sucks balls, so what do I know? Okay, set your clocks back to December 4th, 2011 because once again here on goEMAW.com it's time to dig into the pig.

Despite what you might think you see here, the field at Hog U. Stadium isn't actually made out of the top of this building. Just looks that way because of an optical illusion in the foreground. :eek: :eek: :eek:

See? You can see the same building in the foreground of this picture of the stadium, before its expansion/redesign. (I think the upper deck in this 1970s'y photo may have been knocked down and rebuilt during their massive 2001 renovations, a la Washington and also a la LSU? Not sure. Actually, pretty sure. But not positive.)

So this stade has been around forever, but you'd never know it by its design. I think they kinda did a great job modernizing the style with expansions so it didn't feel like an old stadium where they just cobbled together a bunch of other new crap, like what clearly happened at Texas. I mean I legitimately thought that Pig Agg had built an entirely new stadium in 2001. Then again, 2001 SB barely knew anything about the world.  :Chirp:

Pretty tall. A little bit of a hole-in-the-ground, but mostly just recessed in a valley which offers a breathtaking view of the surrounding majestic rolling mountains. You know, just like at KU. (T's and P's on that cheap-looking siding, though. If I were Jim Williams & Jim, I'd be pissed.)

View from the other side. You can actually make out where their tiny old press box was. Actually you know what? I take back what I said before. This part is cobbled together hardcore. They probably should've just demolished that old press box entirely. I mean can you imagine if ksu cats state u. had just built the WSC around The Dev, and before that had built The Dev around that old press box that said "Fightin' Wildcats" and had all the Big 8 Team logos? This is basically the Russian Babooshka dolls of press boxes. Pig Aggy: wtf were you thinking?? Just tear it down. Surely it's not that nice in there.

Hey great old press box and great old bishop stadium lights, where'd you get those things, bishop stadium amirite lmao?

Man. What a great ratio of upper deck rows to lower deck rows. I like it. Bonus points: can you spot the section of original seats on this side from like 1931 when this stadium seated 13,000 people? :D

And here we have the thing that makes me super mad. You have this insane, architecturally elaborate, very legit, mostly new stadium. BUILD PERMANENT BLEACHERS ON ALL FOUR SIDES. Who are you, rough ridin' Nicholls State? Are you goddamn Tulsa? Have some self respect and put at least 10 rows of permanent bleachers on that side so you can call it a rough ridin' day. Drives me absolutely insane. Looks so small-timey. (Razorback mural thingy is p. cool tho, and at least it makes it very obvious where to put the stage when they inevitably have a 3 Doors Down concert for 70,000 adoring locals.)

So up there is where I really figured out the weirdest part of that stadium. (Now SB is gonna steal a few photos from The Series of Tubes to explain what he means.) For many years, when you saw it shown on TV, it always looked like this:

"Whoa, what a huge stadium! Even the upper deck end zones have like 20 rows and have some weird cutouts! Big stade!"

Then Arky kinda starts to suck a little bit and fewer people come and the game comes back from commercial and they're accidentally showing the empty seats up top and you're like, "Wait a minute. Are those.......are those falsies?"

And the answer is yes. They have major super duper temporary metal bleachers that they prolly make a bunch of pud arky state grads lug all the way up there. (lmao, just a little arkansas in-state rivalry joke there for you guys)

And then, when they're in the midst of a truly horrible season with a fat slob football coach who made a truly lateral move, you sneak in, and those bleachers are completely gone and now it's just a weird small 3-row upper deck with this massive concrete slab full of benches behind it. You feel duped, because what was once a towering and impressive end zone upper deck has been reduced to a place where the AD throws up some tents and sells diet pepsis and where the teens get bored with the game and congregate up there and talk about which Abercrombie Eagle jeans they're going to buy that week. Stupid teens. Anyway, here's my blurry photo from before which shows the bleachers completely taken away because their team was so LOL last year.

I mean srsly. Look at how pud that end zone looks from way up here behind the top row (row 4) of the other end zone. Just get some bleachers, guys. But srsly it was p. high up. Even a runner cat like myself got way winded when climbing up the stairs to the top of that end zone stade. Was so high up, you guys! Probably woulda been even higher up if they actually put permanent bleachers up there. :eek: (Doors were locked to the sideline upper deck sections, sorry, so this is all we get for views.)

So from the outside, Bud Weiser Arena is super lolzy. Hey building: why are you plaid? Are you Al Borland?

Al's mom.

I think the arrangement of all the banners is cool, even if looking closely at the individual banners you see that they look a little New Mexico'y. Also the streamers in the rafters are very "SB's 8th birthday party'y."

I mean that basketball goal jumbotron is so ridiculous. Look at it and try not to laugh.

But I loved the old one so much more. It was an enthusiastic, sloppy, slobbering mess. Kinda reminded me of every member of the Tool Time audience whenever Heidi walked out to show off the latest Binford radial saw.

You guys probably should've built the ceiling like 20 feet higher because these rafters are all up in my grill.

HEY ARKANSAS. Explain to me why you have a fence here at the top row of your upper deck. Explain it to me. Explain why, when I'm watching a Razorhogs game from the top row here in Pud Walton Arena and I turn around to see what's behind me -- inside of a motherfucking basketball arena -- why I see this fence. Tell me why you didn't just build a wall. Tell me. Tell me why you went with a fence. Are you expecting the top half of Wilson's face to pop over and dispense sage advice to you when you're having marital problems? Because I'm looking at it and it's chain link instead of a wood fence so surely it can't be that. :don'tcare:

Just take this arena, tie it around my waist, rip some holes in my jeans, crank up some tunes from Seattle's own Stone Temple Pilots, and what do you have? 7th grade SkinnyBenny.

Okay guys that's enough from Bug Walgreen's Arena. Time to move on to the really weird. Barnhill Arena. Used to be basketball, now is just like volleyball and gymnastics. I was super pumped to see this place because you guys know me and you know just how much I love googling teams' old Ahearn-type arenas or whatever. You know, the more traditional, conventional places teams used to play before they got a new modern look -- like, say, if you were only familiar with the goth version of Mark Taylor from the later seasons but got curious and wanted to know what he looked like earlier on when he was just the Tool Man's unassuming runt.

WELL THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT. There is nothing conventional about PigAggy's old arena. This isn't just some gym. It is the most bizarre-ass layout I have ever seen for a gym. Ever. Today we're going to learn more about Barnhill Arena, gang. (We'll call ourselves The Barnhill Gang and do bluegrass versions of Sugarhill Gang songs.) This place is honestly so weird that with my camera phone, there was, like, nowhere you could be to truly capture the weird essence of this layout. So this is mostly gonna be more professional photos with a few of mine mixed in.

First, give yourself an idea and look at the footprint of the building. It's the one above the grass practice field. Looks fairly standard but may a LIL bit unusual.

I got in there because they happened to be playing a volleyball game against Mississippi State. First thing you'll notice is that, like the arenas of Alabama and Butler, the court is oriented 90 degrees away from what you'd expect with the way the ceiling runs. In other words, think if they had rotated the Ahearn court one turn. Then look at the rafters. Creates a major wtf effect. Also notice that the baseline bleachers go up into the GD heavens.  :Wha: :Wha: :Wha:

The areas behind the baskets were so weird. What arenas have their End Zone Fun Zones be so skinny yet go up sooooooo high? LOLOLOLOL:

Now my favorite part. Look at that weird-ass, tiny, disconnected wedge section of bleachers. Look at it.  What are those seats pointing to??? AM I SUPPOSED TO BE HAVING  A GOOD VIEW OF THE PEOPLE SITTING BEHIND THE BASKET??? ARE YOU TRYING TO EMULATE THE END ZONE BLEACHERS AT McNEESE STATE? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

I'm gonna try to find some more good pictures of these, because they are in all four corners in one way or another. If I were one of those annoying chicks who says, "I can't even!" when she's frustrated, then I would put that phrase right here. Instead, I'll just say that each one of those bizarre sections made less sense to me than the fact that Jill Taylor EVER let Tim do ANY home repair when she KNEW it would end with him electrocuting himself and/or getting his foot stuck in a cement bucket.

Seriously. Wut.

LOLWUT.

WUT IS THIS FLOOR PLAN.

that was a really long post

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 15, 2015, 02:48:53 PM »
wow can you not

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 15, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 15, 2015, 03:04:16 PM »
Choo choo just cranked this thread to over twice the space limit going into turn 43  :dubious:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 15, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »

Al's mom.

Seriously. Wut.

LOLWUT.

WUT IS THIS FLOOR PLAN.

that was a really long post
I concur.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 15, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
i concur hur hur

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 15, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »
i concur hur hur

hur hur herr herr

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 15, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 15, 2015, 03:59:10 PM »
Mocat what about that huge basketball net jumbotron? lulz, right?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 15, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
Very arts 'n crafty

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 15, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »
Very arts 'n crafty

True. Barnhill Arena is that way, too. Just a buncha random different-sized sections glued 2gether.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 15, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
I could probably make that net-o-tron myself.  Would just have to convince the misses to let me get a garage big enough to build it, hoo hoo hoooooo...