Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 184925 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2900 on: March 24, 2024, 08:48:43 PM »
You should just pay for everything from now on.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: March 24, 2024, 08:50:53 PM »
The stingy side is the one NOT admittedly freaking out over 7 dollars?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: March 24, 2024, 09:00:53 PM »
The stingy side is the one NOT admittedly freaking out over 7 dollars?

If you can find one person who has spent time with me IRL and would describe me as stingy I’ll eat my hat. Like I said, it wasn’t ever about the money

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: March 24, 2024, 09:05:03 PM »
Also part of the reason I broached the topic was the see what other ppl thought. I don’t think there is an absolute correct answer. And if popular opinion would say I’m being dumb for caring at all, then I’ll do what non-sociopathic human beings do, which is to learn new information and adjust my behavior/belief system accordingly

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: March 24, 2024, 09:21:47 PM »
This seems like less of a pet peeve and more of a blood feud.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 24, 2024, 09:24:28 PM »
If BAC had countered the $25 with an offer of $18, which blog would this couple be pleading their case to?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: March 24, 2024, 09:40:27 PM »
If BAC had countered the $25 with an offer of $18, which blog would this couple be pleading their case to?

Do you have an opinion on the subject or are you just going to keep shitting on mine?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: March 24, 2024, 10:09:20 PM »
My opinion is that you experienced the cost of having children, which is sometimes you're going to be strategically interacting with people you have no other connection to. By absolute definition, yes, you slightly subsidized the pizza of two other couples. If this bothers you, then maybe you need to make a decision about if you'd rather get out the calculors and protractors or relax and enjoy your day.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: March 24, 2024, 10:17:52 PM »
I have loved every single post and consider me subscribed to every interaction going forward.

We have a family in our neighborhood that has 3 boys roughly the same ages as ours and I feel no obligation to hang out with the parents. We coordinate via text, their kids can show up at our house uninvited and ask to play and ours as well and we've had some occasional sleepovers but I think I've been in their house twice and they've been in our house once and that's plenty for both of us. We can hold a conversation on sports or work small talk or whatever but I know enough to know we aren't going to be talking about much else.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: March 24, 2024, 10:20:54 PM »
My opinion is that you experienced the cost of having children, which is sometimes you're going to be strategically interacting with people you have no other connection to. By absolute definition, yes, you slightly subsidized the pizza of two other couples. If this bothers you, then maybe you need to make a decision about if you'd rather get out the calculors and protractors or relax and enjoy your day.

Yeah. BAC, you're my friend and I know you to be an honest man of good faith. But I think this is something you just let slide. Or just avoid any splitsies scenarios with the couple in the future.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: March 24, 2024, 10:22:03 PM »
I think you should have told Doug and Mary you weren't going to pay for their god damn mushroom and ricotta pizza!

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: March 24, 2024, 10:29:19 PM »
So when they offered to get pizza, my wife and I looked at each other

You should've left at 6:30 and had some family time for yourselves with food all of your crew would enjoy.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: March 24, 2024, 11:13:00 PM »
I'm curious BAC, if you were the hosting couple, how would you have handled the pizza situation? (in this hypo you ordered the pizzas and had the veggie one and leftovers and more expensive house and all that jazz)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: March 24, 2024, 11:41:27 PM »

Yeah. BAC, you're my friend and I know you to be an honest man of good faith. But I think this is something you just let slide. Or just avoid any splitsies scenarios with the couple in the future.

Fair enough. I guess the ironic part is that despite how lib7 is choosing to frame me, (as a petty, penny pinching vindictive a-hole with an ever running leger of perceived slights), that couldn't be further from the truth. We don't fret over money, whereas Doug and Mary care big time about every red cent, and obviously when people are so diametrically opposite it can be a source of friction. Doug and Mary are going to make damn sure they are never stuck holding the bag on $8/slice pizza night but have no compunction about putting others their invited guests in that position. To KK's point, as soon as the girls are old enough to not need both sets of parents to be present when they get together, i'm quite positive our interactions with Doug and Mary will kept to a minimum. For us, the biggest concern is going to be making sure that our daughter always has sufficient monies on her anytime she goes over to their house, b/c we fully expect that they fully expect her to pay for anything they do that has a discrete cost associated with it.

and yes @Trim you nailed it and at 6:31 i knew that was the right move but i didn't have the heart to break up a playdate where the kids were all having a great time so i rolled the dice and hoped that whatever financial transaction was going to take place later that night would be agreeable for all parties.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: March 24, 2024, 11:47:56 PM »
I'm just having fun bbs'n, appreciate the content. This blog needs more perceived slight airings and appropriately belongs in the pet peeve thread.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: March 24, 2024, 11:50:18 PM »

Fair enough. I guess the ironic part is that despite how lib7 is choosing to frame me, (as a petty, penny pinching vindictive a-hole with an ever running leger of perceived slights), that couldn't be further from the truth.

To be fair, you literally compared yourself to Larry David's character in Curb ...

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: March 24, 2024, 11:53:46 PM »
I'm curious BAC, if you were the hosting couple, how would you have handled the pizza situation? (in this hypo you ordered the pizzas and had the veggie one and leftovers and more expensive house and all that jazz)

honestly lib7 i would never even think to expect payment from people who i have invited to be a guest in my home. and if they offered to pay i would refuse, or if i didn't really like them very much and was only inviting them b/c i had to, i would say something like "eh you can just pick up the check next time! (but would forget i said that like 5 seconds later and would not, in fact, expect them to pick up the check next time)". I will admit, if they just absolutely insist on chipping in, like they won't let it go, i'm not going to die on that hill.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: March 25, 2024, 12:02:54 AM »

Fair enough. I guess the ironic part is that despite how lib7 is choosing to frame me, (as a petty, penny pinching vindictive a-hole with an ever running leger of perceived slights), that couldn't be further from the truth.

To be fair, you literally compared yourself to Larry David's character in Curb ...

well, i said the scenario i found myself in could make for a good jumping off point in an epi of curb. wouldn't be surprised if something like that did happen in that show, i recall similar/adjacent things happened in seinfeld (re: kenny banya gives jerry a suit in exchange for a nice meal together. and to a lesser degree but still adjacent, the Big Salad)

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: March 25, 2024, 12:08:29 AM »
Larry would have either made a scene (the above mentioned $18 counteroffer) or slipped slices into his jacket pocket

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: March 25, 2024, 07:50:55 AM »

Second, regarding them not making accommodations, it was honestly fine. My wife is very used to it. There are so few places that she feels safe to eat at, and of those Im not sure if any of them deliver, but ultimately we were not planning to stay for dinner in the first place, it was just supposed to be a chill hang that ran long bc the kids were having fun, and ordering pizza was very much a fitting choice.

How on earth do you not know if there are any celiac friendly places that deliver? I'm assuming this other family lives in your neighborhood or at least delivery range?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: March 25, 2024, 08:28:12 AM »
Rusty's focus on the gluten free part of this story is my favorite.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: March 25, 2024, 09:16:33 AM »

the focus is on accommodating his wife! (My GF wife would not let this fly and I seriously think it is more aggregious by the hosts and BAC)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: March 25, 2024, 09:33:09 AM »

Second, regarding them not making accommodations, it was honestly fine. My wife is very used to it. There are so few places that she feels safe to eat at, and of those Im not sure if any of them deliver, but ultimately we were not planning to stay for dinner in the first place, it was just supposed to be a chill hang that ran long bc the kids were having fun, and ordering pizza was very much a fitting choice.

How on earth do you not know if there are any celiac friendly places that deliver? I'm assuming this other family lives in your neighborhood or at least delivery range?

we are very aware of all the GF places that are safe to eat around us. No idea on the delivery policy b/c we always either dine in or carry out. But its not just that, its the finding a place that is safe + delivers + is at a price point everyone is amenable to + has menu options that everyone finds agreeable (including 3 year olds!) and i'm sure you can imagine that venn diagram starts to have a very small center portion.

if it was part of the plan to have dinner then we absolutely would have run all the traps and figured out what would work. Most of the time that would be us just bringing our own thing b/c we realize how restrictive my wife's dietary restrictions are and we neither want nor expect everyone to adhere to those restrictions. I don't think any of us expected the kids to still be having so much fun that we would stick around for dinner. it can be exhausting enough trying to figure out if new places actually understand what GF means, and if we insisted that other ppl accommodate us they would probably do so by not inviting us to stuff anymore.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: March 25, 2024, 09:41:57 AM »

the focus is on accommodating his wife! (My GF wife would not let this fly and I seriously think it is more aggregious by the hosts and BAC)

i hear ya rusty i hear ya

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: March 25, 2024, 09:50:27 AM »

i hear ya rusty i hear ya

After reading through this and thinking about it for a bit, i've come to the conclusion that this family hates BAC's family. Clue 1 was when they ordered pizza for a GF person. This didn't work and the BAC family didn't take the hint and leave. The family then had to come up with a way to make them not come back so they stuck them with the pizza bill. I feel like the next step is for this family to sprinkle peanuts all over the house without asking if any of the kids have an allergy.