Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 184738 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2875 on: March 15, 2024, 12:20:58 AM »
The best bad person sitings are when people are using the anatomical meaning, gets a laugh from me every time
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: March 15, 2024, 09:04:26 AM »
The renocat basketball nicknames forced me to turn it off.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: March 15, 2024, 09:56:24 AM »
The best bad person sitings are when people are using the anatomical meaning, gets a laugh from me every time

seeing these two posts in succession made me think it was a reference to "Big Rob Energy" from last night. Which might have been worse than a pet peeve - it's just gross and should stop.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: March 15, 2024, 10:49:41 AM »

seeing these two posts in succession made me think it was a reference to "Big Rob Energy" from last night. Which might have been worse than a pet peeve - it's just gross and should stop.

The color guy for isu v ksu at ood was unbearable. He wouldn’t call the dude by his actual name. Like he really got a kick out of saying bre
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: March 15, 2024, 04:06:57 PM »
This blog is more fun with the word filter

Agreed.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: March 15, 2024, 04:08:04 PM »
Yeah wtf the filter rules, it's even taken over my internal dialog. And I laugh when people say bad person or mommies or whatever in real life

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

I have caught myself dropping a rough ridin' or two out in the wild and it makes me giggle.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: March 23, 2024, 09:19:41 PM »
Big [whatever] Energy

Or just, [whatever] Energy

Yes I’m watching the NCAAs and getting triggered by everyone’s warmups.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: March 24, 2024, 01:23:19 PM »
This almost feels like it could be a jumping off point for an episode of Curb but here’s the scene:
So my preschool daughter gets invited over to her bestie’s house for a play date along with some other kids.

We show up at like 2:30, fully expecting to stay for a couple hours then leave. Well the kids are having a great time and suddenly it’s like 6:30 and they ask if anyone wants to order pizza. Mrs BAC is celiac but she is also very particular about restaurants she is confident truly understand how cross contamination works, but she didn’t want to be the stick in the mud so it was just made abundantly clear she wouldn’t be eating, and it’s fine this happens all the time it’s no big deal.

So our hosts order some ‘za — a large cheese, a large roni, and then a large vegetarian like mushroom and ricotta thing that nobody else was interested in and was clearly just for them.

So end of the evening and my wife says to our hosts “let me know what we owe you for the pizza and we’ll Venmo you” to which our hosts then send out a group text requesting $25/ea.

So I’m thinking like holy crap, I had 2 slices, my daughter had 1, wife had 0, how fancy of pizzas did we order?!?” I go to the webbed site of the pizza place and the price of a large pie is $23 (obvs that doesn’t include tax or delivery) but damn we’re like picking up ~1/3 of the tab.

So like, I get the basic math…3 families, 3 pizzas, split it 3 ways. But like…the other family was mom,dad, and their twin girls eating, so like 4 ppl vs 2 from my fam.

I didn’t protest and promptly Venmo’d the $25, but I was like damn, first off nobody else but our host family wanted that mushroom pizza, they were the only ones who ate it, they even said before they ordered “oh good we’ll have some leftovers for tomorrow” and also 2 pizzas would have been plenty for everyone there, as they had a full pizza leftover with the shroom + roni + cheese.

So not only did we treat our hosts to a pizza but also we ate literally half of what the other family did. And to be fair to the family with twins they did not suggest the even split of the tab.

I dunno was this tacky of our hosts or am I overreacting? Like it honestly wasn’t about the money at all, it was about the gesture. We were happy to chip in, especially bc dinner was not really in the original scope of the playdate since things ran long. But I dunno if I was the host I would have been like “well for starters, nobody else wanted the mushroom pizza nor was the 3rd pizza even necessary to feed everyone, so maybe we don’t ask our guest to subsidize that cost. Second, clearly the BAC family only consumed half of what the other family with twins had, so rather than send out a group text you could text everyone individually to ask them to chip in a more representative amount”

The more I thought about it, I was like man if they would have asked for like $7 less dollars I don’t think I even would have given it a second thought. Like $18? Sure whatever. But man this was definitely one of those times when I had the proverbial bowl of soup but was expected to pay the same as the guy who ordered the filet. Gears thoroughly grinded.

Oh and not that it matters…but our host’s home…I would conservatively estimate is worth 3-4x what our house is worth on the open market right now.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: March 24, 2024, 01:36:50 PM »
You should see a therapist
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: March 24, 2024, 02:17:18 PM »
So I shouldn’t have even given it a second thought? What if they had asked for $50/ea? $100? What amt is it appropriate to feel annoyed, or at least annoyed enough to complain on an anonymous message board?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: March 24, 2024, 04:16:03 PM »
$25 per person or $25 per family?

Regardless you are going to drive yourself crazy over the next few years if you stress over the shared costs of pizza parties or shared dinners in general. Just assume it will balance out over time and move on.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: March 24, 2024, 04:30:41 PM »
Like, next time they might order a gf pizza especially for your wife and still divide it evenly. You can offer to pay the difference but most people that can afford to own a home would rather just keep it simple and divide evenly 9 times out of 10

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: March 24, 2024, 05:32:45 PM »
A pro-move is to bring a bunch of booze. Like, multiple bottles of wine, a 24 pack, a bottle of whiskey, etc. Then at the end of the night when you're packing up you can leave an appropriate amount of booze to pay for dinner.

They didn't provide anything? Take home all of it.
They had burgers and hot dogs? Leave like 6-12 beers.
Pizza? An unopened bottle of wine.
Steaks? An unopened bottle of a more expensive wine.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: March 24, 2024, 05:34:14 PM »
Do you think the host was tracking everyone’s pizza consumption? Or they should have weighted the split cost based on family members? I’m really not sure what alternative you’re expecting if the cost is going to be split (honestly I don’t like asking how much I owe  as the guest OR being asked as the host).

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: March 24, 2024, 05:38:32 PM »
You should've left at 6:30 and had some family time for yourselves with food all of your crew would enjoy.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: March 24, 2024, 06:03:10 PM »
Do you think the host was tracking everyone’s pizza consumption? Or they should have weighted the split cost based on family members? I’m really not sure what alternative you’re expecting if the cost is going to be split (honestly I don’t like asking how much I owe  as the guest OR being asked as the host).
It's very stressful ordering food for a large group if you do it well! When I'm doing it I try to accommodate any dietary needs and be cognizant of different budgets while being as transparent as possible about how it's split up.

Good guests/parties seem understand this and I've never had anyone hesitate to pay me (except one guy who thought there were more people than were actually there and thought I was ripping him off one time).

IMO the real foul was the host didn't try to find gluten free pizza for the wife and I'm kind of annoyed by you for being annoyed by the money and not failure to accommodate your wife

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: March 24, 2024, 06:13:09 PM »
If this is important to you, I would say in the future make your expectations clear. “Hey we’re only going to eat 3 pieces total so order as much as you want but I can only drop $15 on pizza. If that’s going to throw things off we’ll bounce and do pizza next time! Thanks for hosting!”

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: March 24, 2024, 06:40:18 PM »
This almost feels like it could be a jumping off point for an episode of Curb but here’s the scene:
So my preschool daughter gets invited over to her bestie’s house for a play date along with some other kids.

We show up at like 2:30, fully expecting to stay for a couple hours then leave. Well the kids are having a great time and suddenly it’s like 6:30 and they ask if anyone wants to order pizza. Mrs BAC is celiac but she is also very particular about restaurants she is confident truly understand how cross contamination works, but she didn’t want to be the stick in the mud so it was just made abundantly clear she wouldn’t be eating, and it’s fine this happens all the time it’s no big deal.

So our hosts order some ‘za — a large cheese, a large roni, and then a large vegetarian like mushroom and ricotta thing that nobody else was interested in and was clearly just for them.

So end of the evening and my wife says to our hosts “let me know what we owe you for the pizza and we’ll Venmo you” to which our hosts then send out a group text requesting $25/ea.

So I’m thinking like holy crap, I had 2 slices, my daughter had 1, wife had 0, how fancy of pizzas did we order?!?” I go to the webbed site of the pizza place and the price of a large pie is $23 (obvs that doesn’t include tax or delivery) but damn we’re like picking up ~1/3 of the tab.

So like, I get the basic math…3 families, 3 pizzas, split it 3 ways. But like…the other family was mom,dad, and their twin girls eating, so like 4 ppl vs 2 from my fam.

I didn’t protest and promptly Venmo’d the $25, but I was like damn, first off nobody else but our host family wanted that mushroom pizza, they were the only ones who ate it, they even said before they ordered “oh good we’ll have some leftovers for tomorrow” and also 2 pizzas would have been plenty for everyone there, as they had a full pizza leftover with the shroom + roni + cheese.

So not only did we treat our hosts to a pizza but also we ate literally half of what the other family did. And to be fair to the family with twins they did not suggest the even split of the tab.

I dunno was this tacky of our hosts or am I overreacting? Like it honestly wasn’t about the money at all, it was about the gesture. We were happy to chip in, especially bc dinner was not really in the original scope of the playdate since things ran long. But I dunno if I was the host I would have been like “well for starters, nobody else wanted the mushroom pizza nor was the 3rd pizza even necessary to feed everyone, so maybe we don’t ask our guest to subsidize that cost. Second, clearly the BAC family only consumed half of what the other family with twins had, so rather than send out a group text you could text everyone individually to ask them to chip in a more representative amount”

The more I thought about it, I was like man if they would have asked for like $7 less dollars I don’t think I even would have given it a second thought. Like $18? Sure whatever. But man this was definitely one of those times when I had the proverbial bowl of soup but was expected to pay the same as the guy who ordered the filet. Gears thoroughly grinded.

Oh and not that it matters…but our host’s home…I would conservatively estimate is worth 3-4x what our house is worth on the open market right now.
TL DNR FR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: March 24, 2024, 06:47:43 PM »
Ok I feel the need to clarify here. It is/was not about the money. It was 100% about feeling I was getting taken for a ride. Nobody was expecting the host to be charging per slice, but I dunno when it’s 4 toddlers and 6 adults just hanging out in the back yard it seems like one of those things you could/would passively notice, much the same way you would notice if someone was just absolutely throwing down and like, eating a whole pizza by themselves.

Second, regarding them not making accommodations, it was honestly fine. My wife is very used to it. There are so few places that she feels safe to eat at, and of those Im not sure if any of them deliver, but ultimately we were not planning to stay for dinner in the first place, it was just supposed to be a chill hang that ran long bc the kids were having fun, and ordering pizza was very much a fitting choice.

Last, and I think maybe the crux of the issue, is that if not for our daughters being besties we would not likely have any occasion to run with these people. Like we get along just fine but other than our daughters we don’t have all that much in common.

The people we consider friends are not nearly so transactional. Like if there is a cost associated with what we are doing there is no expectation for immediate remuneration.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: March 24, 2024, 06:53:14 PM »
Ok, I read it, you cannot post in the pit ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: March 24, 2024, 07:09:49 PM »
Bruh I reside in the pit

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: March 24, 2024, 07:23:01 PM »
That would be a pretty lame Curb episode

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: March 24, 2024, 07:25:15 PM »
Well I’m no Larry David

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: March 24, 2024, 08:13:40 PM »

The people we consider friends are not nearly so transactional. Like if there is a cost associated with what we are doing there is no expectation for immediate remuneration.

Didn’t you say it was your side that introduced the transactional component?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: March 24, 2024, 08:30:59 PM »

Didn’t you say it was your side that introduced the transactional component?

Ok, there is another important detail I forgot to mention. These ppl are stingy. Our kids’ birthdays are close so when they were 2 they suggested a joint b-day, which we were excited about. It was agreed we’d each buy whatever and then square up after. Cool. Well, this lady was floored when my wife told her how much we spent (and we lied and said we spent way less) bc she was fully expecting to be owed money and when they were even…things were tense. Like for a few months. The next year we were surprised they were willing to do a joint bday again, but this time we ran everything by her first before making a purchase, and it was a much smoother experience.

Folks were talking dozens of dollars here. We couldn’t believe we were even keeping track of a budget in the first place but it was important to them so fine whatever. The point is, these people like to be square. If they feel they are owed money, they want to be made whole. If the roles were reversed and we tried to pull the “everyone pays the same” she would have blown her gourd.

So when they offered to get pizza, my wife and I looked at each other like “crap this will get awkward if we don’t square up immediately. Interest begins accruing immediately and comes in the form of hostility. So my wife brought it up as a way to keep them from getting upset. While spending reasonable amounts of money is not important to us, we understand it is to them and were trying to be respectful