Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 185004 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2625 on: April 24, 2023, 06:43:12 PM »
I’m sure I’ve posted my hate for this previously; with that being said, “with that being said” is the worst.

Ha, I use that quite a bit. Mostly as I am inundated with questions and I try and assuage whoever I am talking to that what they thought was the way things are, are in fact not that way.
You should endeavor to remove “being” from the phrase. Just an extra word that makes it passive voice and makes everything terrible.  Being said? You just said it!

How about just "But ..."?

"With that being said" is terribly inefficient writing/speaking. It should never be put in writing, but I imagine people use it in speaking to buy a few more moments to collect their thoughts before proceeding.

FTR I definitely don't use it in emails or other such writing, it's pretty much just a verbal thing I do to, as mentioned, is just a phrase used to to let whoever is distracting me I hear them but don't care to hear them/reasoning for something. It almost always proceeded by "I understand what you're saying" or "I hear what you're saying" and a long list of confirming crap and then "but with that being said do XYZ, not ABC."

I would totally understand it being a peeve though

I can only speak for myself, but I find it totally fine as a speech artifact. Just not the full form of "with that being said" in written form. But I agree with cat about "That said, ..." being acceptable in writing. I've done it, and ...

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: April 24, 2023, 11:06:36 PM »
 :lol:
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: May 01, 2023, 08:40:22 AM »
"he knows ball" or "_____ knows ball"
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: May 01, 2023, 10:05:00 AM »

You could really fill up this thread by just copying and pasting 99% of Kurtz's tweets

Online puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: May 01, 2023, 09:23:39 PM »
Natural peanut butter

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: May 02, 2023, 06:31:43 AM »
Natural peanut butter

Need more information. You mean like when The Brands put the PB in jar with the brown label (jif natural, Peter Pan natural, etc) or are we talking something else?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: May 02, 2023, 06:44:19 AM »

I've never heard anyone say this.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: May 02, 2023, 07:12:44 AM »

I've never heard anyone say this.
Feels like a bad and1 tshirt from the early 2000s

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: May 02, 2023, 07:57:04 AM »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: May 02, 2023, 09:07:19 AM »

You could really fill up this thread by just copying and pasting 99% of Kurtz's tweets

He 100% tweeted that ironically

Online puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: May 02, 2023, 10:38:41 AM »
Natural peanut butter

Need more information. You mean like when The Brands put the PB in jar with the brown label (jif natural, Peter Pan natural, etc) or are we talking something else?
I am referring to non-hydrogenated nut butters that separate into solids and oil that you have to expend 50% of your willpower and 100% of your vitality each time you have to stir it back into nut butter

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: May 02, 2023, 12:44:53 PM »
Natural peanut butter

I am referring to non-hydrogenated nut butters that separate into solids and oil that you have to expend 50% of your willpower and 100% of your vitality each time you have to stir it back into nut butter

oh, yeah those suck

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: May 02, 2023, 12:58:42 PM »
Natural peanut butter

oh, yeah those suck

Hard disagree here. Peanut butter should just be ground up peanuts. You basically turn the jar upside down for a day then stick in fridge and its mixed for you. Brand name frankenbutters are rough ridin' gross. 

SF pet peeve #6,743. Can we stop adding rough ridin' sugar to everything? Here are some crushed up strawberries that are naturally sweet anyway, but we added 247 grams of sugar to make them really rough ridin' sweet to spread on top of your mutant butter. We probably added some corn too and we have no idea why we even do that at this point.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: May 02, 2023, 01:05:44 PM »
go churn your butter or whatever, SF, the rest of us will enjoy our sugar.   :ROFL:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: May 02, 2023, 01:27:08 PM »
definitely Team Natural PB. it's like the one healthy thing i insist on.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: May 02, 2023, 01:27:45 PM »
go churn your butter or whatever, SF, the rest of us will enjoy our sugar.   :ROFL:

you keep enjoying your corn jelly OK Cat.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: May 02, 2023, 01:39:13 PM »
Natural peanut butter

oh, yeah those suck

Hard disagree here. Peanut butter should just be ground up peanuts. You basically turn the jar upside down for a day then stick in fridge and its mixed for you. Brand name frankenbutters are rough ridin' gross. 

SF pet peeve #6,743. Can we stop adding rough ridin' sugar to everything? Here are some crushed up strawberries that are naturally sweet anyway, but we added 247 grams of sugar to make them really rough ridin' sweet to spread on top of your mutant butter. We probably added some corn too and we have no idea why we even do that at this point.

Everything has corn syrup because we subsidize corn and tax sugar.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: May 02, 2023, 01:48:38 PM »

you keep enjoying your corn jelly OK Cat.

That sounds like a good Tuesday afternoon thread, stay tuned!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: May 02, 2023, 01:49:53 PM »
Natural peanut butter

oh, yeah those suck

Everything has corn syrup because we subsidize corn and tax sugar.

I know. Can't we just give them money and not put sugar and corn in everything?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: May 02, 2023, 02:05:09 PM »
The natural pb is so gross
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: May 02, 2023, 02:09:18 PM »
all peanut butter is good. probably 30% of the protein consumed in our house comes from peanut butter so I would need to get like 3 -4 of those small jars of natural peanut butter each week. Natural peanut butter is definitely better than regular on ice cream.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: May 02, 2023, 02:24:51 PM »
all peanut butter is good. probably 30% of the protein consumed in our house comes from peanut butter so I would need to get like 3 -4 of those small jars of natural peanut butter each week. Natural peanut butter is definitely better than regular on ice cream.

heck yeah

Online puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: May 02, 2023, 08:01:43 PM »
Kettlebells in lbs

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: May 04, 2023, 12:13:35 PM »
I don’t like that the word “myriad” can be used as either a noun or an adjective. Just make it noun only for cryin out loud

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: May 04, 2023, 12:35:58 PM »
I don’t like that the word “myriad” can be used as either a noun or an adjective. Just make it noun only for cryin out loud

Team adjective, here.