Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007614 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #13050 on: April 06, 2022, 01:45:08 PM »
So probably a stupid question, but if we close the plaza to cars, how would a place like shake shack get their burgers delivered?  just have the big truck park off of 46th or something?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13051 on: April 06, 2022, 02:00:36 PM »
(that) shake shack does not deliver.
but to answer your question what would probably happen is 47th would be closed to vehicles, and the other streets would remain open.

a 47th street consisting of patios and trees and whatnot makes too much sense so i'm sure it won't happen

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13052 on: April 06, 2022, 02:10:51 PM »
but to answer your question what would probably happen is 47th would be closed to vehicles, and the other streets would remain open.

a 47th street consisting of patios and trees and whatnot makes too much sense so i'm sure it won't happen
i meant like, getting burgers and stuff delivered to the store

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13053 on: April 06, 2022, 02:17:15 PM »

You know those little teeth things that prevent cars from going in areas?  They can be removed for emergency vehicles and delivery vehicles.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13054 on: April 06, 2022, 02:20:40 PM »
According to a very reliable plaza source, the delivery trucks show up at like 3 am on Tuesday so it's probably not a very big deal.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13055 on: April 06, 2022, 02:44:52 PM »

You know those little teeth things that prevent cars from going in areas?  They can be removed for emergency vehicles and delivery vehicles.

these are called bollards

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13056 on: April 06, 2022, 04:39:56 PM »

good question, I'm not a logistics person so I can't answer this exactly. But, places like this exist all around the world, I'm sure smarter people than I have figured it out.

Just imagine all the tree lined streets w sidewalk cafes you picture in Europe, there's not reason the Plaza can't emulate that.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13057 on: April 06, 2022, 04:42:02 PM »
Closing down 47th probably not happening but could definitely close down Nichols

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13058 on: April 06, 2022, 04:43:11 PM »

good question, I'm not a logistics person so I can't answer this exactly. But, places like this exist all around the world, I'm sure smarter people than I have figured it out.

Just imagine all the tree lined streets w sidewalk cafes you picture in Europe, there's not reason the Plaza can't emulate that.

Isn't the plaza already trying to emulate Madrid/Barcelona et al?
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13059 on: April 06, 2022, 04:43:49 PM »
Is there any way a streetcar is functionally better than a bus? Or a few busses?

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13060 on: April 06, 2022, 04:45:16 PM »
Is there any way a streetcar is functionally better than a bus? Or a few busses?

one advantage streetcars have is that white midwestern people aren't afraid of riding them

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13061 on: April 06, 2022, 04:46:24 PM »

one advantage streetcars have is that white midwestern people aren't afraid of riding them
Yeah I suppose that's kind of a functional reason

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13062 on: April 06, 2022, 04:47:02 PM »

yes it was designed after the old city in Seville, which I visited in 2018, and guess what they don't have in their streets...cars!

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13063 on: April 06, 2022, 04:49:12 PM »

Yeah I suppose that's kind of a functional reason

Yes, culture is the main reason. People look down on bus ridership, but trains are fun! Also they have the potential to be more green depending on how the electricity is generated

They do tend to spur development better than bus routes, since it's assumed that streetcar line will be there for generations, whereas a bus route could change tomorrow.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13064 on: April 06, 2022, 04:51:41 PM »
Closing down 47th probably not happening but could definitely close down Nichols

Close Nichols running east-west and all the north-south streets between Wyandotte and Roanoke.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 05:00:35 PM by KCFDcat »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13065 on: April 06, 2022, 09:53:14 PM »

yes it was designed after the old city in Seville, which I visited in 2018, and guess what they don't have in their streets...cars!
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is literally “kansas city avenue” in seville and there are, in fact, cars.  everywhere throughout seville, there are cars.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13066 on: April 06, 2022, 09:59:34 PM »

closing 47th actually makes no sense.
as phil mentioned, nichols is very doable but what is really the point? the sidewalks aren’t full, we don’t need more space down here.  there’s too much dead space already, you can’t turn the plaza into kc’s version of the 3rd Street Promenade

my vision of the ccp shifts the district from mainly commercial to mainly residential.  this is the direction that they need to focus on

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Kansas City things
« Reply #13067 on: April 06, 2022, 10:02:53 PM »
Perfect spot for light rail is down the middle of Ward parkway. Tear out those fountains and stuff.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: April 06, 2022, 10:05:29 PM »
Perfect spot for light rail is down the middle of Ward parkway. Tear out those fountains and stuff.

100% support this
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: April 22, 2022, 01:29:08 PM »
Gonna be able to walk your pooch right over 670 by 2024

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13070 on: April 22, 2022, 01:42:32 PM »
a) it's annoying that we have to do this to fix colossal unforced errors of the past. thanks silent generation
b) i'm sure we'll f it up somehow and it will be a huge unused barney allis plaza type thing

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: April 22, 2022, 01:49:48 PM »

It was pretty jarring to see the crazy diversity of people riding the streetcars in Portland and the diversity of the places these streetcars went. I took one to what I'm pretty sure is the third circle of hell. Portland doesn't check for fares on their public transport so whomever the eff wants to ride gets on and believe me, they take advantage.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: April 22, 2022, 01:54:28 PM »
 :Lurk:
Gonna be able to walk your pooch right over 670 by 2024

Going to make a bitchin' space for World Cup parties.  Actually that will probably be Liberty Memorial.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13073 on: April 22, 2022, 01:59:49 PM »

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13074 on: April 22, 2022, 02:13:22 PM »
The dog crap at that park is going to be insane