Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007199 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #6150 on: December 15, 2016, 10:11:02 AM »
Will you be staying in the new casa de Gooch in NW Arkansas that Friday?

Fly to SW Iowa and have to deal w/that place to get to regular KC and on to MHK, or fly to Wichita but detour to NW Arkansas rather than proceeding on to MHK?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: December 15, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »
I have an open futon in kc fyi
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: December 15, 2016, 10:20:19 AM »
I don't possess access to that data. I agree it's the angle KCI officials should be giving voters. Most I have are direct quotes from airline officials saying they don't land at KCI and prefer to go to st Louis to connect passengers even though it costs them more to do so.  To which clams will now try and misdirect with some hair brained MDW comment.

You shouldn't fight their battle so vehemently unless and until they help you out.

The arguments I'd be using (if true) are:

1) W/o a new airport, ______, Inc. is going to leave here and cost KC ____ jobs (or w/a new airport, ______, Inc. is going to come here and create _____ jobs).

2) W/o a new airport, KC will lose out on a [convention, sports team, etc.] that will preclude KC from having $_____ injected into the economy and ______ jobs created.

3) W/o a new airport, ______ Airlines is going to leave (or reduce flights) which will reduce travel options to ______ resulting in (______ of increased travel time and/or ___________ in higher average fares).

There's probably some other direct $ factors that could be argued for the KC scenario.  I'd also consider, if it exists, putting in a point about how the airport, as the first and last thing visitors see, affects impressions of KC and any effect that might have on return visits or even "tourism."  And if there's data that would show there's enough people like me who avoid flying to KC when there's any other option, enough to make any sort of $ difference, add that too.

I'm with you that the KC airport is lol embarrassing, but for locals who've become accustomed to it and use it as nothing more than a necessary thing to walk through between their car and the plane, that aspect doesn't matter.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: December 15, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
Will you be staying in the new casa de Gooch in NW Arkansas that Friday?

Fly to SW Iowa and have to deal w/that place to get to regular KC and on to MHK, or fly to Wichita but detour to NW Arkansas rather than proceeding on to MHK?

there's a bed at my place that waks hasn't slept on in over 6 months.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: December 15, 2016, 10:26:06 AM »
T-Y, all.  Determining where I pass out in brownbackistan isn't a big part of making a travel plan from cool kids.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: December 15, 2016, 10:28:26 AM »
Are you bringing the dog?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: December 15, 2016, 10:34:04 AM »
Are you bringing the dog?

I'd like to.  I looked into the logistics a bit for upcoming flights and it seems like a huge pain in the ass, especially on non-direct.  If I was to fly direct to KC or Wichita for FattyFest, and had her cool w/getting into a crate for even 10 seconds by then, I'd try to make it work.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: December 15, 2016, 10:39:42 AM »
I don't possess access to that data. I agree it's the angle KCI officials should be giving voters. Most I have are direct quotes from airline officials saying they don't land at KCI and prefer to go to st Louis to connect passengers even though it costs them more to do so.  To which clams will now try and misdirect with some hair brained MDW comment.

You shouldn't fight their battle so vehemently unless and until they help you out.

The arguments I'd be using (if true) are:

1) W/o a new airport, ______, Inc. is going to leave here and cost KC ____ jobs (or w/a new airport, ______, Inc. is going to come here and create _____ jobs).

2) W/o a new airport, KC will lose out on a [convention, sports team, etc.] that will preclude KC from having $_____ injected into the economy and ______ jobs created.

3) W/o a new airport, ______ Airlines is going to leave (or reduce flights) which will reduce travel options to ______ resulting in (______ of increased travel time and/or ___________ in higher average fares).

There's probably some other direct $ factors that could be argued for the KC scenario.  I'd also consider, if it exists, putting in a point about how the airport, as the first and last thing visitors see, affects impressions of KC and any effect that might have on return visits or even "tourism."  And if there's data that would show there's enough people like me who avoid flying to KC when there's any other option, enough to make any sort of $ difference, add that too.

I'm with you that the KC airport is lol embarrassing, but for locals who've become accustomed to it and use it as nothing more than a necessary thing to walk through between their car and the plane, that aspect doesn't matter.

I'd say #3 is the only one that has been alluded to...I don't think #1 or 2 apply but if they did, that business should definitely come forward and speak up.  The concept of KCI bring the first impression of the city has been brought up by many city leaders and I'm aware of at least one conference that did not come to KC and that was one of their stated reason.

I agree that a lot of KC residents have become accustomed to the current KCI and know how to deal with the nuances of it. I used to be firmly in that camp. I switched sides when i started hearing Southwest talking about them not using kci as much, the business community being behind a new termy, and lastly how much it was going to cost for "fix" the necessary infrastructure vs just building new....at that point it was a no brainer to me.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: December 15, 2016, 10:51:24 AM »
let's go to kc!

no way the airport sucks!

said no one ever.

let's leave kc and go somewhere!

no way the airport sucks!

said no one ever.

the good news for the good people of kansas city is that the people behind the new airport initiative bungled their jobs up so badly that the initiative has now been tabled indefinitely

but i'm sure someone appreciates all of your input, trim

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: December 15, 2016, 10:58:40 AM »
I switched sides when i started hearing Southwest talking about them not using kci as much, the business community being behind a new termy, and lastly how much it was going to cost for "fix" the necessary infrastructure vs just building new....at that point it was a no brainer to me.

That's weird to me that you would be switched by hearing SW talking about something or hearing that the business community was behind it.  I'd want, and proponents should know that it would instead require actual data and $ figures and their effect on locals w/respect to either.  If vague hypotheticals are their talking points, they're mumped, and should be.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: December 15, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »
Bob Marcusse was quoted saying he knows of examples where KCI was a factor in KC losing out on business opportunities.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: December 15, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »
I have an open futon in kc fyi
Yeah. I have a a guest bedroom too, Trim. We should all meet up.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: December 15, 2016, 11:00:39 AM »
I switched sides when i started hearing Southwest talking about them not using kci as much, the business community being behind a new termy, and lastly how much it was going to cost for "fix" the necessary infrastructure vs just building new....at that point it was a no brainer to me.

That's weird to me that you would be switched by hearing SW talking about something or hearing that the business community was behind it.  I'd want, and proponents should know that it would instead require actual data and $ figures and their effect on locals w/respect to either.  If vague hypotheticals are their talking points, they're mumped, and should be.

Southwest quotes werent vague hypotheticals neither were the quoted prices for renovation vs new.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: December 15, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
So it should be relatively easy to crunch the numbers just from the certain data and demonstrate why a new terminal is financially beneficial to KC and its residents, in an amount that at least offsets any perceived inconvenience, right?

Every page of this thread re: the airport should be able to be reduced to a 2-column ledger.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: December 15, 2016, 11:39:25 AM »
2 column ledger won't sway kc voter who thinks new kci will be LHR

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6165 on: December 15, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »
Your team's campaign people either suck or they don't have the facts.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: December 15, 2016, 11:46:13 AM »

I'd say they suck at presenting the facts they have.id also say people that look at the fact that it costs more to renovate vs new are  :Rusty:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: December 15, 2016, 02:52:22 PM »

I'd say they suck at presenting the facts they have.id also say people that look at the fact that it costs more to renovate vs new are  :Rusty:

That's a shame that this whole project will be derailed b/c those hired to do so can't present their data in a digestible format.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: December 15, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
there is no project to derail fwiw

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: December 15, 2016, 03:01:51 PM »

That's a shame that this whole project will be derailed b/c those hired to do so can't present their data in a digestible format.

It is.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: December 15, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »
Nothing sells quite like fear these days.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: December 15, 2016, 03:39:46 PM »
The airport people should hire the death trap street cars people.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: December 15, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »
These two subjects alone have made this thread unreadable.  :frown:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: December 15, 2016, 04:03:05 PM »
These two subjects alone have made this thread unreadable.  :frown:

Wacky, we all mourn for your shoes...are you happy?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: December 15, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »
He still has a face, praise Allah