Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007907 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #5900 on: November 04, 2016, 02:17:14 PM »
Automated people counters were independently verified by manual counters and showed the automated counters were undercounting people :ck:

who paid for the counters, and the audit of said counters?

It's part of the streetcar QA process...but yes this is all a total conspiracy...especially given ridership numbers weren't the primary goal of the streetcar.

but they're the primary indicator of success?

No...it is probably the easiest thing for people to point to though

and easy is good for the pro-streetcar contingent

an objective person like myself would argue that it's too early to measure the streetcar's success or failure

pro tip- the key word in the above sentence is "objective"

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: November 04, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »
the fact that the streetcar is doing well has turned pissdax into a complete flailing lunatic, because before ground was broken he decided it was going to fail. now when the only evidence (besides his eyeballs) that we have is saying the streetcar is doing well, dax has nowhere to go but psycho. Until, of course, winter hits and the ridership goes down and then all of a sudden the numbers will be legit and he can LOL at the streetcar jackboots for constantly obfuscating. it's so............sad, really

well this is a five star post

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: November 04, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »

an objective person like myself would argue that it's too early to measure the streetcar's success or failure

Would an objective person dismiss out of hand the opinions, observations, and first-hand accounts of business owners situated along the starter line? 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: November 04, 2016, 02:46:03 PM »
I mean we literally have a downtown business owner on this blog saying he likes the streetcar and it has, in part, helped his business and 'clams just keeps yammering about how businesses hate the streetcar. It's truly daxian  :lol:

lib^7 inception'd me with the dax thing

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: November 04, 2016, 02:46:46 PM »
the fact that the streetcar is doing well has turned pissdax into a complete flailing lunatic, because before ground was broken he decided it was going to fail. now when the only evidence (besides his eyeballs) that we have is saying the streetcar is doing well, dax has nowhere to go but psycho. Until, of course, winter hits and the ridership goes down and then all of a sudden the numbers will be legit and he can LOL at the streetcar jackboots for constantly obfuscating. it's so............sad, really

well this is a five star post

Obfuscating was really really elite
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: November 04, 2016, 02:59:14 PM »

Would an objective person dismiss out of hand the opinions, observations, and first-hand accounts of business owners situated along the starter line? 

business owners situated along the starter line aren't objective, any other brain teasers?

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: November 04, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »
Automated people counters were independently verified by manual counters and showed the automated counters were undercounting people :ck:

who paid for the counters, and the audit of said counters?

It's part of the streetcar QA process...but yes this is all a total conspiracy...especially given ridership numbers weren't the primary goal of the streetcar.

but they're the primary indicator of success?

No...it is probably the easiest thing for people to point to though

Objective? Lol.

Anyways...yes it is early to declare the streetcar a runaway success or an absolute failure.  Based on the development, surface lots changing to buildings, jobs coming into downtown, increasing convention business, and yes ridership...signs are positive.

I am of the opinion if the line doesn't extend, it will not be a success long term.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: November 04, 2016, 03:45:24 PM »

business owners situated along the starter line aren't objective, any other brain teasers?

how do you measure the economic impact of the line - positive or negative - if you ignore the data provided by the business owners situated along the line?   

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: November 04, 2016, 05:59:07 PM »
I am of the opinion if the line doesn't extend, it will not be a success long term.

so that's the flaw with, and one reason why i have issue with, the way this was funded.  if, for this to be net positive for the city, it requires the extension  to be built, then the whole thing should have been voted/approved in whole.  the initial line should be able to stand on its own if that's the way the vote was approved.  there's no telling what happens in the future or if the extension will be approved.  it's easy to say now that without the extension, this won't be successful long term.  "well gosh guys, we've come this far and without the extension we won't see the economic impact we promised"  - city hall would never admit what you did, it's against fiscal policy, and shockingly, even KCMO has one.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: November 04, 2016, 06:03:11 PM »
and yeah i'm objective, the money has been spent.  i'm not in this for an "i told you so" moment.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5910 on: November 04, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
LOL

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: November 04, 2016, 07:53:31 PM »
If only those big city snobs from New York could see us now.  We have a World Series and public transit arguments.

SUCK IT METS!

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: November 04, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »
Street car baby

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: November 04, 2016, 09:16:25 PM »
It's a car that runs on the street, that's pretty great, I like it

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: November 04, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
What an idea

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: November 04, 2016, 09:19:29 PM »
Look outside, sly.  Already a bunch of cars on the street. 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: November 04, 2016, 09:19:48 PM »
It's actually kinda trainy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: November 04, 2016, 11:40:54 PM »
Only cool if it is the rice-a-roni kind

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: November 05, 2016, 02:56:25 AM »

so that's the flaw with, and one reason why i have issue with, the way this was funded.  if, for this to be net positive for the city, it requires the extension  to be built, then the whole thing should have been voted/approved in whole.  the initial line should be able to stand on its own if that's the way the vote was approved.  there's no telling what happens in the future or if the extension will be approved.  it's easy to say now that without the extens YBion, this won't be successful long term.  "well gosh guys, we've come this far and without the extension we won't see the economic impact we promised"  - city hall would never admit what you did, it's against fiscal policy, and shockingly, even KCMO has one.

You read way more into my statement than I said...as it stands it's a total win for KC as downtown is an economic generator...and how it was funded is fair as the parties that benefit most with the line are paying for it....but to be a long term win it needs to extend....and those extensions still should be paid by those who benefit most from it....not taxing the whole city for it.....why should the Northland property tax increase for an urban streetcar? On the flip side, why are we in the urban core paying for infrastructure additions in the Northland to support sparse residential developments?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: November 05, 2016, 10:40:36 AM »

so that's the flaw with, and one reason why i have issue with, the way this was funded.  if, for this to be net positive for the city, it requires the extension  to be built, then the whole thing should have been voted/approved in whole.  the initial line should be able to stand on its own if that's the way the vote was approved.  there's no telling what happens in the future or if the extension will be approved.  it's easy to say now that without the extens YBion, this won't be successful long term.  "well gosh guys, we've come this far and without the extension we won't see the economic impact we promised"  - city hall would never admit what you did, it's against fiscal policy, and shockingly, even KCMO has one.

You read way more into my statement than I said...as it stands it's a total win for KC as downtown is an economic generator...and how it was funded is fair as the parties that benefit most with the line are paying for it....but to be a long term win it needs to extend....and those extensions still should be paid by those who benefit most from it....not taxing the whole city for it.....why should the Northland property tax increase for an urban streetcar? On the flip side, why are we in the urban core paying for infrastructure additions in the Northland to support sparse residential developments?

the northland is awful, they should be given away to Nebraska

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: November 07, 2016, 01:45:33 PM »
we took the streetcar from River Market to Sprint Center the other night.    It was a good trip and busy.    My only dislike was not being able to see forward in the car with the tinted windows.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: November 07, 2016, 05:32:57 PM »
finally

kcps have earned enough points to become accredited.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article113037663.html

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: November 07, 2016, 06:00:29 PM »
finally

kcps have earned enough points to become accredited.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article113037663.html

We can all agree this is great news.  Glad Sly could make it happen  :peek:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: November 07, 2016, 07:38:03 PM »
great job sly
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Tobias