Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007583 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #4750 on: April 26, 2016, 11:53:57 PM »
I agree AA cares not about me. They do care about customer complaints... And those complaints about the  air side of KCI is their responsibility to maintain and upgrade. They can't give customers what customers are asking for with the current terminal.... That's their interest.

they brought in $6 billion in profit last year, they could figure out a tsa precheck line if they wanted to. southwest has +2x more daily flights and has figured it out.  aa's interest is getting this single terminal approved so they can continue to grow their record setting profit numbers.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

The Big Train

« Reply #4751 on: April 27, 2016, 12:02:13 AM »
I agree AA cares not about me. They do care about customer complaints... And those complaints about the  air side of KCI is their responsibility to maintain and upgrade. They can't give customers what customers are asking for with the current terminal.... That's their interest.

they brought in $6 billion in profit last year, they could figure out a tsa precheck line if they wanted to. southwest has +2x more daily flights and has figured it out.  aa's interest is getting this single terminal approved so they can continue to grow their record setting profit numbers.

Just in KC, or across their whole company?  Makes a huge difference, and I would make a relatively good guess that is for the whole company.  So yeah, adding another person at EVERY airport is super easy :jerk:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: April 27, 2016, 08:01:27 AM »

Just in KC, or across their whole company?  Makes a huge difference, and I would make a relatively good guess that is for the whole company.  So yeah, adding another person at EVERY airport is super easy :jerk:
No way thats just MCI.  MCI served 10,472,461 passengers last year, and even if every one of those were AA, they'd have to be marking up tickets $500/ea. above cost on average.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: April 27, 2016, 08:02:47 AM »
 :lol:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: April 27, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »
Oh my....okay I'm passing on this debate pending further details on the plan

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: April 27, 2016, 09:26:33 AM »
I would like Kansas City to have a nicer airport.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: April 27, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
Wait...the structure is falling apart?  Really?  I mean we have rough ridin' castles built in the 12th century still standing but an airport that's 20 years old is crap?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: April 27, 2016, 09:36:30 AM »
Why do so many ppl like spending tax $ on so many unnecessary things?!

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: April 27, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »
Wait...the structure is falling apart?  Really?  I mean we have rough ridin' castles built in the 12th century still standing but an airport that's 20 years old is crap?

40....it's more the design itself that is the driver but yes there are major infrastructure items needing fixing....and that fixing costs as much if not more than building new according to estimates.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: April 27, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »

40....it's more the design itself that is the driver but yes there are major infrastructure items needing fixing....and that fixing costs as much if not more than building new according to estimates.

Do you have a link to this information?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: April 27, 2016, 09:53:53 AM »
The whole idea of fixing an existing entire airport costing more than building a new entire airport is something that seems completely unbelievable.  I cannot imagine not being able to repair whatever may be wrong with a 40 yr set of buildings for $1B+. 

I mean, the fudges in calcs, and prob what is included in those calcs, to make that calc work have to be extreme.

I mean, you could build pretty much any building on the KC skyline for like 20% of that, from scratch.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:57:10 AM by CNS »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: April 27, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
 :billdance:

tbf those castles were designed by Royalty and built by slaves, rather than a clusterfuck of politicians, design firms, airline execs, contractors, city officials etc.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4762 on: April 27, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »
The whole idea of fixing an existing entire airport costing more than building a new entire airport is something that seems completely unbelievable.  I cannot imagine not being able to repair whatever may be wrong with a 40 yr set of buildings for $1B+. 

I mean, the fudges in calcs, and prob what is included in those calcs, to make that calc work have to be extreme.

This is KCMO math and planning we're dealing with, here.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: April 27, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »

Has mocat checked the calculations?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: April 27, 2016, 10:02:10 AM »
It sounds like mocat is the source of these calculations.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: April 27, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »

Do you have a link to this information?

Two years of work and presentations has been public the whole time...I think this is the right link, it's not pulling up for me right now

https://www.flykci.com/newsroom/terminal-master-plan/

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: April 27, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »

This is KCMO math and planning we're dealing with, here.

It's not....it's consultants...which is generally as bad I know....these consultants were hired by the airlines who are looking for most cost effective solution for them.

Cns the estimates show they can be fixed for around the same price as new.....but that doesn't fix the outdated design itself, logistic problems with plane movements, and loses the short walks people talk about with current kci.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: April 27, 2016, 10:11:42 AM »
Phil, are you in a line of work that stands to benefit from construction of a new airport?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: April 27, 2016, 10:14:59 AM »
Phil, I get what you are saying, and I am not calling you a liar.  I am saying that the concept of repair of a 40 yr old building in what appears to be generally decent shape, to those who walk though it, costing as much as tearing said building down, hauling off massive amts of rubble, arch designing, engineering, bidding, building, commissioning, etc a new building is preposterous.  That is saying nothing about temp staging for airlines to continue functions during construction.

The consultants, at best are not including some pretty major costs of the new building in their numbers, imo.  Even if they are only looking at construction and ignoring design, demo, etc, I would still call bullshit on this. 

It has to be apples and oranges.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: April 27, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
Phil, are you in a line of work that stands to benefit from construction of a new airport?

I have no vested interest other than my business and personal travel improving with new kci.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: April 27, 2016, 10:26:45 AM »
Phil, I get what you are saying, and I am not calling you a liar.  I am saying that the concept of repair of a 40 yr old building in what appears to be generally decent shape, to those who walk though it, costing as much as tearing said building down, hauling off massive amts of rubble, arch designing, engineering, bidding, building, commissioning, etc a new building is preposterous.  That is saying nothing about temp staging for airlines to continue functions during construction.

The consultants, at best are not including some pretty major costs of the new building in their numbers, imo.  Even if they are only looking at construction and ignoring design, demo, etc, I would still call bullshit on this. 

It does seem crazy on the surface. Which is why I lean on experts and the fact they are hired by airlines who have their costs in the forefront of their mind....they are going to want the most cost effective option....

Temp staging for airlines is done....terminal A is empty which is where new kci will go.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: April 27, 2016, 10:30:37 AM »
why can't they put new KCI closer to things other than Platte City if they are gonna build new?  like there's that space by Union Station where the Royals had the Championship celebration, can't they just put it there?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: April 27, 2016, 10:30:57 AM »

It does seem crazy on the surface. Which is why I lean on experts and the fact they are hired by airlines who have their costs in the forefront of their mind....they are going to want the most cost effective option....

Temp staging for airlines is done....terminal A is empty which is where new kci will go.

Are the airlines the ones funding the new airport?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: April 27, 2016, 10:32:57 AM »
This thread started in June of 2013 so I've never read it.  You people should move.

Will the proposed new airport include a way to get from it to Kansas City?

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: April 27, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »

Are the airlines the ones funding the new airport?

Yes...read the newest presentation...it details that well