Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007214 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #3925 on: February 18, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
Lib7 being so pro-streetcar has been a pleasant surprise ITT.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: February 18, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
no real opinion about your guys' streetcar thing, but hearty lols about the fact that a) wacky has not moved to the suburbs yet and b) dlew's weird "acknowledge the fact that i ride the bus" complex
We're fighting it. We don't want to until we start having kids and that will be for at least another two years. We are however, looking for a new spot downtown. We wanna get away from the Quaff trash on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: February 18, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
Two great schools will be walking distance from you when Lil wacky comes around... No reason to leave!

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: February 18, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »
Two great schools will be walking distance from you when Lil wacky comes around... No reason to leave!

Along with more development!   :D

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: February 18, 2016, 03:09:27 PM »
 :D

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: February 18, 2016, 03:18:33 PM »

sprint center in 2013 was the 8th busiest arena in the us and netted $1.4M for the city before you subtract the $14m loss at p&l
we spent $225m on building it.  so, only $223.6m left to recoup.  2013 was the first year sc turned a profit iirc.

That's 1.4 in profit.  The SC debt is not being paid out of the profit-sharing agreement with AEG.  that money goes straight into the City's bank account. 

The SC is financed through airport/hotel fees and these financial projections are being met.  The City is not subsidizing any SC shortfalls. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:29:36 PM by Belvis Noland »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: February 18, 2016, 03:26:46 PM »
Lib7 being so pro-streetcar has been a pleasant surprise ITT.

I lived in kc when idiots fought hard against the sprint center and p&l, so it hits close to home.

There was a lot of midwesternery "well we already have this shitty thing, why would we want something new and better" attitude in the opposition.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: February 18, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »
Also I selfishly want it to go to waldo  :peek:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: February 18, 2016, 03:29:33 PM »
i don't know crap about the financials, but i have a hard time believeing a waldo->city market street car wouldn't get used a lot.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: February 18, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
i don't know crap about the financials, but i have a hard time believeing a waldo->city market street car wouldn't get used a lot.

it would get used a lot. 

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: February 18, 2016, 03:38:09 PM »

it would get used a lot.

And that would have a fare attached to counter tax.  So it'd be similar to other lines around the country where the cost is basically covered by fares and a 1.0% specific sales tax.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: February 18, 2016, 03:42:09 PM »

sprint center in 2013 was the 8th busiest arena in the us and netted $1.4M for the city before you subtract the $14m loss at p&l
we spent $225m on building it.  so, only $223.6m left to recoup.  2013 was the first year sc turned a profit iirc.

That's 1.4 in profit.  The SC debt is not being paid out of the profit-sharing agreement with AEG.  that money goes straight into the City's bank account. 

The SC is financed through airport/hotel fees and these financial projections are being met.  The City is not subsidizing any SC shortfalls. 

maybe before lecturing me on the financing on these projects, you should look up what the word "netted" means.
and then, when you're done, you can continue ignoring the fact that the arena will never pay for itself since the large majority of the proceeds go straight into AEG's pocket.

i mean, give me $225M, i'll give the city much more than $1.4M a year back, which they can go spend on more streetcars and stuff.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: February 18, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »

it would get used a lot. 

by whom?  the same folks who ignore existing bus lines in favor of the convenience of having their own car with them?

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: February 18, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
Obviously drunkards would be the one using it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: February 18, 2016, 03:48:52 PM »
and b) dlew's weird "acknowledge the fact that i ride the bus" complex
Well, I DO ride busses a ton. I solely rely on public transport -- I think that gives me a slightly unique perspective in this thread. 

I just think busses (which already exist) make more sense than spending an assload of money on something that's going to do the same damn thing. 

:dunno:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:54:32 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: February 18, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »
Dlew doesn't even ride the bus he's just trolling.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: February 18, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »
Well, I DO ride busses a ton. I solely rely on public transport -- I think that gives me a slightly unique perspective in this thread. 

I just think busses (which already exist) make more sense than spending an assload of money on something that's going to do the same damn thing. 

:dunno:.

Initial investment is more.  Maintenance is more on buses. 

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: February 18, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »

it would get used a lot. 

by whom?  the same folks who ignore existing bus lines in favor of the convenience of having their own car with them?

I take the MAX to waldo at least monthly for boozy brunch or family/friend interactions.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: February 18, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »

:dunno:.

Initial investment is more.  Maintenance is more on buses.
link?  This says otherwise: http://publictransport.about.com/od/Transit_Vehicles/a/What-Are-The-True-Operating-Cost-Differences-Between-Bus-And-Light-Rail.htm

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: February 18, 2016, 04:09:44 PM »

that's my position too.  spend money on our existing system.  make it easier to purchase tickets before boarding, make dedicated bus lines and nicer stops.

somehow, the streetcar is the only way to solve the transportation issues plaguing our city 

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: February 18, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »

it would get used a lot. 

I take the MAX to waldo at least monthly for boozy brunch or family/friend interactions.

works pretty good, eh? 

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: February 18, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »
no real opinion about your guys' streetcar thing, but hearty lols about the fact that a) wacky has not moved to the suburbs yet and b) dlew's weird "acknowledge the fact that i ride the bus" complex
We're fighting it. We don't want to until we start having kids and that will be for at least another two years. We are however, looking for a new spot downtown. We wanna get away from the Quaff trash on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Move to the burbs already. You know that's where your heart belongs.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: February 18, 2016, 04:20:54 PM »

maybe before lecturing me on the financing on these projects, you should look up what the word "netted" means.
and then, when you're done, you can continue ignoring the fact that the arena will never pay for itself since the large majority of the proceeds go straight into AEG's pocket.

i mean, give me $225M, i'll give the city much more than $1.4M a year back, which they can go spend on more streetcars and stuff.

my mistake, I must've misinterpreted this quote:  "1.4M for the city before you subtract the $14m loss at p&l we spent $225m on building it.  so, only $223.6m left to recoup."

seemed like you were saying that we are paying off the SC with the AEG profit-sharing money.  or, in other words, it would take us ~200 years to pay off the SC. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: February 18, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
sometimes perception is reality.  streetcars are perceived as nicer, cleaner, more convenient than busses.  this street car will be free - v. paying for a bus. 

it is what it is.  Kind of like uber v. cab.  it's the same idea - you're getting from point A to point B.  but to a lot of people, there's a huge difference. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: February 18, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »

Move to the burbs already. You know that's where your heart belongs.
I'm not ready to be a functioning adult, with house duties, and other stuff.  :frown: Sounds boring! I just need ppl to get off my lawn!  :shakesfist: