Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007251 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #3725 on: February 12, 2016, 01:12:26 PM »
this is like a microcosm of bernie sanders' campaign

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: February 12, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »
I don't know why anyone would be against the streetcar.. it's basically the stepping stone to a lightrail system which is absolutely amazing.
i know, right? it's basically like people flying around in floating autonomous cars.  basically, I mean if we get this streetcar/light rail/floating autonomous cars thing can you imagine how big Kansas City will become? 

Silicon Valley of the plains? excuse me, more like the Milky Way of the plains

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: February 12, 2016, 01:18:17 PM »
the conventions will be huge

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: February 12, 2016, 01:20:39 PM »
Why did KC just randomly decide to build a 1 mile long street car?  Like, what is the point of that?

it's eventually going to the plaza, but the brookside residents were on the first vote and shut that down. so phase 1 is just from river market to crown center
lol no, the entire city has repeatedly voted down the streetcar when given the opportunity to.  I'd guess we've said no eight times or so.  this isn't just brookside saying no.
we don't need one and it's hilarious that that you guys support it in the way that you do

Phase 2 is coming and it will pass. It will go to umkc. The main street corridor has always voted yes in rail elections.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: February 12, 2016, 01:33:05 PM »
Why did KC just randomly decide to build a 1 mile long street car?  Like, what is the point of that?

it's eventually going to the plaza, but the brookside residents were on the first vote and shut that down. so phase 1 is just from river market to crown center

Of course it failed. I had a home just east of Wornall in Armour Hills, they wanted to raise people's property taxes by several hundred $ year for something nobody needs.   That's insane. You can drive anywhere you'd like in KC without any trouble, regardless of where you live.  You can't beat that kind of convenience, especially with kc's incredibly shitty weather.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: February 12, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »

Of course it failed. I had a home just east of Wornall in Armour Hills, they wanted to raise people's property taxes by several hundred $ year for something nobody needs.   That's insane. You can drive anywhere you'd like in KC without any trouble, regardless of where you live.  You can't beat that kind of convenience, especially with kc's incredibly shitty weather.
I live in brookside, if there was a streetcar to my 'hood we'd get rid of a car since both my wife and I work in the crossroads (except for the 9 days a month I drive to the burbs)

That would save me well over what my property tax increase would be. This obviously isn't the case for some people,  but more than we realize.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: February 12, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
We have light rail, bus, and a version of a streetcar that are all very accessible and used frequently.  They pay for all these through sales tax (70%) and fares (30%).  And the streetcar(bus) is free.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: February 12, 2016, 03:30:33 PM »

I live in brookside, if there was a streetcar to my 'hood we'd get rid of a car since both my wife and I work in the crossroads (except for the 9 days a month I drive to the burbs)

That would save me well over what my property tax increase would be. This obviously isn't the case for some people,  but more than we realize.
And, yes, the reason we dont do this now is b/c my wife won't ride the bus. Like it or hate it, there is a stigma

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: February 12, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »

would you really rather have it take 40 minutes to get to work versus 15?  seems weird.  isn't your time worth more than that?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: February 12, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »

would you really rather have it take 40 minutes to get to work versus 15?  seems weird.  isn't your time worth more than that?
Meh, not really if I can answer emails and crap on the way there. That's like 60% of my day anyway.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: February 12, 2016, 03:42:24 PM »
I'll do anything in my power to never drive to work again. If I can't walk I'm busing it.... I'd rather dick around on my phone than deal with Casey Roadrager

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: February 12, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
fair enough, just remember that time is the one thing that money can't buy.  not even TIF money. 

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: February 12, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »
I'll do anything in my power to never drive to work again. If I can't walk I'm busing it.... I'd rather dick around on my phone than deal with Casey Roadrager

why not just move closer to work then?

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: February 12, 2016, 03:44:47 PM »
I drive my car to work. Thoughts?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: February 12, 2016, 03:46:49 PM »
Me too, a bus doesn't even go near my office
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: February 12, 2016, 03:49:12 PM »
love all the johnson county hate in here as if KC would even exist without JoCo
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: February 12, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
Powered off of beige!

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: February 12, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »
Joco does suck though

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: February 12, 2016, 03:51:08 PM »
If the ppl of joco had souls, joco would suck it out of them

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: February 12, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
I would rather live EAST OF TROOST than the suburban joco hellscape

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: February 12, 2016, 03:53:53 PM »
fair enough, just remember that time is the one thing that money can't buy.  not even TIF money.

Right. Time on a bus I can actually be productive posting here. Can't do that while driving.im walking home right now posting!

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: February 12, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
Hey everyone - I live in JoCo.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: February 12, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
So is the anti-rail crowd basically anti because of tax increase? or is there something else?

What if it was all through sales tax and fares?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: February 12, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »
"id love to find a nice 4 bedroom somewhere close to East High School" - no one ever
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: February 12, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »
JoCo isn't bad, but Olathe, Lenexa and most of Shawnee is lame AF

(I grew up in Olathe fwiw)