Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1006712 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #3600 on: February 03, 2016, 05:04:51 PM »
the big bitch about KCI from the powers that be and "seasoned travelers" is that you can't have centralized security with everything on the secure side the way it's setup, so amenities are scarce.    Frankly I don't care since I don't have layovers there, but I suppose it sucks for people that do.   I lovve walking right in and going to the gate.

Well that amenity is going away with any renovation as TSA will mandate a change to centralized security to better secure the flight side and all the 23 proposals do away with the distributed security....and nothing says a new terminal is going to extend your walk that much...it's not like they will tear down the old terminal and build ATL or LHR in it's place.

Change is coming, time to embrace it and ensure we get the best we can.

Good dummies video
http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article58030183.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:11:10 PM by Phil Titola »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: February 03, 2016, 05:24:36 PM »
the big bitch about KCI from the powers that be and "seasoned travelers" is that you can't have centralized security with everything on the secure side the way it's setup, so amenities are scarce.    Frankly I don't care since I don't have layovers there, but I suppose it sucks for people that do.   I lovve walking right in and going to the gate.

again, if i'm footing the bill for a $1.5B airport, it needs to benefit me and nothing discussed is of any benefit to me so no

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: February 03, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »

again, if i'm footing the bill for a $1.5B airport, it needs to benefit me and nothing discussed is of any benefit to me so no

ehh, we still pay the fees through PFCs and airline spreading their costs throughout their system.  I've tried to find any stories from cities getting new terminals tying it to higher flight costs....can't find a one.

Airlines are the ones most concerned about a terminal raising their costs even speaking out against a new terminal in 2014...now they are advocating for a new terminal...think they forgot about their fees?  Maybe they getting a nicer cut of other fees like parking and restaurants in the new terminal which keeps their fees at a current level?  No idea.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: February 04, 2016, 12:30:17 AM »
I looked at a house to rent today by umkc. It didn't really work for me, so as I was leaving the leasing agent guy or whatever that was showing it decided to give me the advice that "as you go west prices are going to go up, East of here well, it gets a little dark" I gave him a look and was like wtf and he's like "you know, it just gets a little dicey"

Good grief
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: February 04, 2016, 07:46:10 AM »
The airport change has been the worst framed discussion in recent history.  Everything you hear on news radio is all about shops and food.  No one lays over in kc.  No one thinks about how they wish they could hang around kc before or after a flight.  I mean, double the starbucks and things would be perfect.

I have never been to an easier airport that wasn't some two gate puddle jumper joint.  We are about to get in our own way, I have a feeling.

No one is adding or subtracting flights based off security ease or wing joints.

Also, that building is solid concrete.  Unless the concern is falsely framed around how much it would suck to move plumbing for more bathrooms we don't need, we could do nothing and it would last longer than most buildings in the city.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: February 04, 2016, 08:11:28 AM »
I assume there will be a lot better info coming along as details get worked out and a vote on the bond issuance approaches  .... But it seems only the ones who don't want any change are making this about amenities in an attempt to discredit the need for a change at KCI.

I'm no construction engineer type nor have I seen the conditions below the surface. Ill take the word of the experts who have.

.. And yes no airline is going to promise new flights nor threaten reduction of flights... But they have said that the current design makes it difficult for them to maneuver bigger planes around the tarmac...

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: February 04, 2016, 09:30:08 AM »
One time in Indianapolis I was to my gate 14 minutes after I dropped of my rental car. 

Not sure if that's relevant but wanted to drop that in there.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: February 04, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »
I assume there will be a lot better info coming along as details get worked out and a vote on the bond issuance approaches  .... But it seems only the ones who don't want any change are making this about amenities in an attempt to discredit the need for a change at KCI.

I'm no construction engineer type nor have I seen the conditions below the surface. Ill take the word of the experts who have.

.. And yes no airline is going to promise new flights nor threaten reduction of flights... But they have said that the current design makes it difficult for them to maneuver bigger planes around the tarmac...

I would love more info.  However the note about those opposing being the ones framing it around amenities isn't accurate.  That is something I have heard every single time it is brought up on news radio in KC.  Maybe that is a failing of the person giving the pitch.  Maybe they think that KC'ers are simple enough that they think it can be sold by promise of more booze and cheap grease option?  Whatever the motive, that is def how it has been pitched by those for it so far in the media I consume.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: February 04, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »
I looked at a house to rent today by umkc. It didn't really work for me, so as I was leaving the leasing agent guy or whatever that was showing it decided to give me the advice that "as you go west prices are going to go up, East of here well, it gets a little dark" I gave him a look and was like wtf and he's like "you know, it just gets a little dicey"

Good grief

Dont get me started. And don't listen to that moron.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: February 04, 2016, 09:50:16 AM »
I posted it specifically for you mocat!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: February 04, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
Maybe he was talking about crime rates? 

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mo/kansas-city/crime/

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: February 04, 2016, 10:14:01 AM »
One time in Indianapolis I was to my gate 14 minutes after I dropped of my rental car. 

That would be impossible in "super convenient"   KCI.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: February 04, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »

That would be impossible in "super convenient"   KCI.

I think you're probably right.  Indy had centralized security, BTW.  Also, I think Indy has a serious infatuation with speed.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: February 04, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »

I would love more info.  However the note about those opposing being the ones framing it around amenities isn't accurate.  That is something I have heard every single time it is brought up on news radio in KC.  Maybe that is a failing of the person giving the pitch.  Maybe they think that KC'ers are simple enough that they think it can be sold by promise of more booze and cheap grease option?  Whatever the motive, that is def how it has been pitched by those for it so far in the media I consume.

Who is saying this in the media. Name names!!!

IMO thsts more a reflection of our soundbite media than the actual promoters of a new terminal. I'm all in on a new terminal and I couldn't care less if there is a chili's to go on the flight side. FlyKCI.Com has a lot of info.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: February 04, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »

Good grief

I would have called him a racist and told his boss he lost a potential renter. Also would have reminded him there are plenty of shootings and car jackings in safe ol JoCo

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: February 04, 2016, 10:20:17 AM »

IMO thsts more a reflection of our soundbite media than the actual promoters of a new terminal. I'm all in on a new terminal and I couldn't care less if there is a chili's to go on the flight side. FlyKCI.Com has a lot of info.

I am horrible at naming names on stuff like this.  I have no reason to know of anyone they introduce and don't ever care to remember names until after the info is discussed.  I only listen to the discussion. 

I never remember names well period.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: February 04, 2016, 10:28:32 AM »
Just jokes.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: February 04, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »

Phil, when the single terminal stuff started up a few years back I remember the prime motivator for the city was they are at least partly responsible for the labor related to security but could get a big chunk of federal money (around half IIRC) to pay for a new single terminal and reduce that labor cost. 

I believe the federal money at that time was maybe a hope it would be part of the federal stimulus package but I get old ballzer and dumber by the day so  :dunno:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: February 11, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: February 11, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »
cool

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: February 11, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »
a hotel boner, that's just so weird

also, i hate clicking on kansascity.com links b/c it wants me to log in to their paywall

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: February 11, 2016, 08:31:09 PM »
We can't choose what gives us boners

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
sly and the family bone

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »

ehh, we still pay the fees through PFCs and airline spreading their costs throughout their system.  I've tried to find any stories from cities getting new terminals tying it to higher flight costs....can't find a one.

Airlines are the ones most concerned about a terminal raising their costs even speaking out against a new terminal in 2014...now they are advocating for a new terminal...think they forgot about their fees?  Maybe they getting a nicer cut of other fees like parking and restaurants in the new terminal which keeps their fees at a current level?  No idea.

of course they're getting a higher cut of the airport's revenues.  i mean, they were firmly on the other side of this debate until sly sweetened the deal. do you really think that they decided to lower their margins out of some sort of altruism for the people of KC?

and the consultants that you mentioned before are being paid for by KCMO (you and I), not the airlines. 

all of this stuff that the mayor is doing is paving his own Cleaver Boulevard at our expense.  that's his end game.  just as it was Cleaver's.  so glad he's done after this term (unless he decides to ignore the city charter again). of course, the city's voting constituency are rough ridin' idiots so I don't hold out much hope that we'll find someone better.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: February 11, 2016, 08:51:15 PM »
as an outsider, i hope you guys don't waste money on a new airport