Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007649 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #3576 on: February 03, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »
http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article58030183.html

whenever I hear concessions and shopping options as a reason to renovate the airport I have a hard time taking it seriously.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: February 03, 2016, 01:26:23 PM »
It's not the primary reason. It's a nice amenity side benefit.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: February 03, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »
i don't really care about the airport other than how quick i can get from my car to the gate, and that's usually pretty quick.

but those terminals are embarrassingly small, can get annoyingly crowded, and if you're hungry or have to use the bathroom, good luck.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: February 03, 2016, 01:38:29 PM »
Airlines drive this process as they are the customers who pay the airport to use it... They want the lowest cost option which is a new terminal... That also solves many of their current and future operating issues.

But townies will townie.... And since bonds are voted on by citizens, expect quite a fun campaign on this thing.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: February 03, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
Seems like the lowest cost would be to do nothing. 

No matter what we do, no airline is making us a hub and anyone doing biz now will keep doing biz until no one from KC wants to travel to the places that airline serves. 

Also, if the city is down to spend a billion dollars, maybe tackle some sewer issues?  Whats the differed maint up to on that?  $4B?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: February 03, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
We should market it like the way Allen Field House or Wrigley Field is. Call it the "Friendly Confines"

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: February 03, 2016, 01:57:53 PM »
as soon as airlines start leaving, i'm down to build a new airport

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: February 03, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Seems like the lowest cost would be to do nothing. 

No matter what we do, no airline is making us a hub and anyone doing biz now will keep doing biz until no one from KC wants to travel to the places that airline serves. 

Also, if the city is down to spend a billion dollars, maybe tackle some sewer issues?  Whats the differed maint up to on that?  $4B?

Doing nothing is not an option from the city or airline side. The building itself is in need of major repairs and half assed renovations (like we did a decade? ago) are not on the table.

By law, the money raised at the airport is from airport income/fees only and can only be spent on airport items. Money spent at the airport for anything isn't taking away money from schools or Sewers or whsevs

Also sewers are already being addressed and are in year 5 of a 25 year plan.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: February 03, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »
as soon as airlines start leaving, i'm down to build a new airport

Why plan ahead for things we can panic and fix later!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: February 03, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »
what major repairs does the building itself need?

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: February 03, 2016, 02:18:17 PM »
It's been in past airport stories... Basically the building is falling down?

Guess the key for me is that the airlines (who pay the fees) have studied this along with city experts and came out and said major work needs done, doing nothing isn't an option, and they prefer a new terminal vs. Trying to make renovations work which won't fix everything and will cost more.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: February 03, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
i don't really care about the airport other than how quick i can get from my car to the gate, and that's usually pretty quick.

but those terminals are embarrassingly small, can get annoyingly crowded, and if you're hungry or have to use the bathroom, good luck.

i've never had a problem using the restroom and not sure why i would leave home, drive to the airport passing much better food options, and decide to eat at the airport.  however, i did get a bagel once at starbucks at mci, took 30 secs to process the transaction.

as far as who is paying for it, ultimately, this thing's costs will be underwritten through increased ticket fees.  and since kansas citians are the primary users of kansas city's airport, its residents and businesses will pay for it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: February 03, 2016, 02:21:13 PM »
oh get out of here with "the airlines will pay for it".

that just means people buying airfare out of kc will pay for it

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: February 03, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »

Guess the key for me is that the airlines (who pay the fees) have studied this along with city experts and came out and said major work needs done, doing nothing isn't an option, and they prefer a new terminal vs. Trying to make renovations work which won't fix everything and will cost more.

ask yourself why the airlines support building a new mci airport terminal?  or care at all what happens at mci? 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: February 03, 2016, 02:22:48 PM »
Basically the building is falling down?

You guys think it'll still be standing in March? or should I change my flight to MHK and catch a ride to the Big 12 tourney to be safe.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: February 03, 2016, 02:24:22 PM »

ask yourself why the airlines support building a new mci airport terminal?  or care at all what happens at mci?

I'm all ears. Airlines are about keeping their fees low... In that vein they would want to do nothing first.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: February 03, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »

i've never had a problem using the restroom and not sure why i would leave home, drive to the airport passing much better food options, and decide to eat at the airport.  however, i did get a bagel once at starbucks at mci, took 30 secs to process the transaction.

as far as who is paying for it, ultimately, this thing's costs will be underwritten through increased ticket fees.  and since kansas citians are the primary users of kansas city's airport, its residents and businesses will pay for it.

Businesses account for like 70 percent of tickets sold I think I saw... The chamber has came out in favor of a new terminal knowing that may increase ticket prices.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: February 03, 2016, 02:30:34 PM »

the airlines have done structural analysis on MCI and have a list of things that need to be fixed?  interesting, i'd like to see the analysis and detailed plans.  but i can't because they don't exist.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: February 03, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »
February 16th the airport committee will get more details on the cost of everything that needs fixed/renovated I just read.

Id be interested in info on how much terminal improvements impact ticket prices in places like Austin, indy, Wichita. Lot of factors impact that cost.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: February 03, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »

the airlines have done structural analysis on MCI and have a list of things that need to be fixed?  interesting, i'd like to see the analysis and detailed plans.  but i can't because they don't exist.

Through their work with their consultants and airport officials.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: February 03, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »
What can we do to become a hub? If it's impossible then we shouldn't bother investing money in it.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: February 03, 2016, 02:51:51 PM »
What can we do to become a hub? If it's impossible then we shouldn't bother investing money in it.
nothing

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: February 03, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
Basically the building is falling down?

You guys think it'll still be standing in March? or should I change my flight to MHK and catch a ride to the Big 12 tourney to be safe.

Yes. This is the same line of reasoning Bob Gretz used when the Chiefs Royals upgrades came up. "The plumbing doesn't work."

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: February 03, 2016, 04:52:09 PM »
the big bitch about KCI from the powers that be and "seasoned travelers" is that you can't have centralized security with everything on the secure side the way it's setup, so amenities are scarce.    Frankly I don't care since I don't have layovers there, but I suppose it sucks for people that do.   I lovve walking right in and going to the gate.