Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007129 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #3300 on: November 13, 2015, 09:43:51 AM »
The city council totally gave thier constituency and the city's charter the finger last night. Convention hotel is a go!
I fixed your post. 

Sidenote- as a small business owner who themselves was put in check by the city, I'm surprised at your position here.
How exactly was I put in check by the city?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: November 13, 2015, 09:53:03 AM »
clams  :lol:

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: November 13, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »
Don't you remember when your opening was delayed like a week? BOOM Checked! They showed you!

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: November 13, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »
ok maybe "put in check" was a bit strong, my point is that KCFD's life would have been a lot easier if he could operate w/o a liquor license, or HDA compliance, etc.  good thing for the hyatt investment group that the rules don't apply to them.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: November 13, 2015, 12:35:08 PM »
what is HDA? do you mean ADA?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: November 13, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »
I bet the hyatt will need a liquor license and to be Ada compliant
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: November 13, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »
ya that's it.
if i was a business owner who worked his ass off trying to tick and tie every box that KCMO asked me to and watched them blow by the rules for another business owner, i wouldn't be celebrating.  <-- my point

i've said all along that i'm pro hotel being built, just tired of sly's politics.
also -can't wait until the International Spring Quilt Market event hits KC in 2019.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: November 13, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »
Mocat, would you like to go get pakked at the Hyatt when it's finished?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: November 13, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »
Mocat, would you like to go get pakked at the Hyatt when it's finished?

YES

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: November 13, 2015, 12:55:48 PM »
ya that's it.
if i was a business owner who worked his ass off trying to tick and tie every box that KCMO asked me to and watched them blow by the rules for another business owner, i wouldn't be celebrating.  <-- my point

i've said all along that i'm pro hotel being built, just tired of sly's politics.
also -can't wait until the International Spring Quilt Market event hits KC in 2019.

what in the world makes you think it will not be ADA compliant?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: November 13, 2015, 12:59:54 PM »
sly james to hyatt architects: if the hallways are like 18" wide, no sweat. we won't mark it up during the plan review. also don't worry about ramps or handrails. eff it, don't even put an elevator in this SOB. long live sly!  :Hook'em:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: November 13, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
sly james to hyatt architects: if the hallways are like 18" wide, no sweat. we won't mark it up during the plan review. also don't worry about ramps or handrails. eff it, don't even put an elevator in this SOB. long live sly!  :Hook'em:

who knows if it will be or not, they've already ignored other rules so that they can get this SOB built. 
right?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: November 13, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »
sly james to hyatt architects: honest question dipshits, why on earth would we need any handicapped parking spots when EVERYONE IS GOING TO ARRIVE VIA STREETCAR??

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: November 13, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »

who knows if it will be or not, they've already ignored other rules so that they can get this SOB built. 
right?

nah

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: November 13, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
sly james to hyatt architects: honest question dipshits, why on earth would we need any handicapped parking spots when EVERYONE IS GOING TO ARRIVE VIA STREETCAR??

Just turn them all into the sly james family parking spots

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: November 13, 2015, 01:08:38 PM »

he announced a few weeks ago there will be a large commemorative boulder out front: sly and the family stone

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: November 13, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »
being more upset about the hyatt than the street car is about the dumbest thing ever imo.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: November 13, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »

he announced a few weeks ago there will be a large commemorative boulder out front: sly and the family stone
You're going to have to do better than that If You Want Me to Stay at this new Hyatt
:adios:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: November 13, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »
being more upset about the hyatt than the street car is about the dumbest thing ever imo.
agreed, not sure there are many people that fit that descripto though

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: November 13, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
ok maybe "put in check" was a bit strong, my point is that KCFD's life would have been a lot easier if he could operate w/o a liquor license, or HDA compliance, etc.  good thing for the hyatt investment group that the rules don't apply to them.

I guess I understand what you're trying to say. But a few things you're missing:
1. The City was fairly easy to work with (easiest of the three levels of gov I dealt with)
2. The biggest PITA was dealing with the crossroads assoc. the only reason I got past that was with help from the City
3. KCMO is not giving Hyatt a blank check and saying build whatever you want...they still have to follow the laws
4. Typically, a TIF of this size would not go to vote anyways, so why bitch about it?

My biggest beef with KCMO in my whole process was that their laws for liquor licensing are insane. Which is not Sly's fault, these have been in place since prohibition. literally unchanged. Essentially how it works, if you want to open a bar/restaurant/liquor store/anything the sells tobacco etc etc you have to get a neighborhood license. at least 51% of the building owners around you have to OK your plans with a signature. This is very detailed, want to put in a dart board? Signature. Have a dance floor? Signature. Outdoor Patio? Signature. It's a totally crazy process.

Now, In my case ONE person owns over 60% of the buildings around me. I had to convince this one guy (who doesn't drink, and hates any sort of night life) that my business is good for the area. He got to dictate what beer we can serve (only what we make), What hours we're open, what days we're open, if we can have a patio (we can't), how late our large roll-up doors can stay open, plus about 5 or 6 other things. Essentially he has more sway on my business than I do.

I don't mind the stipulation of having to get neighborhood approval. But, if you own more than one piece of property you should only be allowed one vote. The law makes it so larger land owners have more power.

TL;DR the KC liquor laws are weird AF.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: November 13, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »
That's crazy. It seems like if it is a business zone then you should be able to run a business within the law. I mean I can see a problem if you tried to open a bar in a residential zone, but sheesh. (I know nothing about zoning.)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: November 13, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »
That system sets up the ability to completely extort others.  Sounds just like kansas city from the prohibition era.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: November 13, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »
remember when somebody said the conventions would pay for this thing $0.03 at a time?  :lol:

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: November 13, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
ya that's it.
if i was a business owner who worked his ass off trying to tick and tie every box that KCMOevery municipality in the US asked me to and watched them blow by the rules for another business owner, i wouldn't be celebrating.  <-- my point

Fixed it...not a KCMO thing.

So why do we elect officials if we are just going to vote on every civic decision?

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: November 13, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »
remember when somebody said the conventions would pay for this thing $0.03 at a time?  :lol:

I thought it was a sales tax funded TIF. Turns out its tourism fees. Congrats on that win!

I think giving a hotel company/developer half of the cost of their hotel is ludicrous. Can't wait for those FFA and La Rasa convention sales tax windfalls though!