Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1006352 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #3025 on: October 20, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »
@pissclams this is more articulate than i am

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/steve-rose/article38401968.html

i get all this.
nothing that steve rose (jerkstore) said is news.
but the bottom line to me is that you can't just ignore the city charter because of threats made by the developers of the proposed hotel.
it ends there.
it began by sly not being inclusive in the planning of this thing. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: October 20, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
everybody wants the hotel except for 75 year old wichita tuck and pissclams, smdh

That guy hasn't lived in Wichita for 27 years so please stop associating him with Wichita.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: October 20, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
not what i'm asking. you said "3 cents at a time"

How are the dollars used on the project expected to be repaid?  Is it rental car and hotel room fees?

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: October 20, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »
Guys we need to do everything to keep the Brony convention in town. It's totally worth the tax $'s to get to laugh at those weirdos once a year.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: October 20, 2015, 09:25:40 AM »
not what i'm asking. you said "3 cents at a time"

How are the dollars used on the project expected to be repaid?  Is it rental car and hotel room fees?

why can't you just tell me where you got 3 cents?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: October 20, 2015, 09:45:38 AM »
Sorry I missed all this.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: October 20, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »
Sorry I missed all this.
Really bummed. What an incredible exchange.

BTW, scribe, yes that's how taxes work. People buy things like food, rental cars etc. And the city gets money from taxes!   Incredible idea really.

Not sure if you expect only local companies to be involved here, but that's not how the world works. Like, do you want a small local company to build a massive hotel the city needs? Or have some rule that convention goers can only eat at local restaurants?

Still not sure what your comment about McDonald's employing high school dropouts means, would you rather them be unemployed?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: October 20, 2015, 11:12:10 AM »
Sorry I missed all this.

BTW, scribe, yes that's how taxes work. People buy things like food, rental cars etc. And the city gets money from taxes!   Incredible idea really.

Not sure if you expect only local companies to be involved here, but that's not how the world works. Like, do you want a small local company to build a massive hotel the city needs? Or have some rule that convention goers can only eat at local restaurants?

Still not sure what your comment about McDonald's employing high school dropouts means, would you rather them be unemployed?

is it true that if a large convention (like Cerner's 14,000 people one) comes to KC, the convention is required to give the city $0.03, but other than that, all the money spent and taxes tallied up go to large corporations?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: October 20, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
Sorry I missed all this.

is it true that if a large convention (like Cerner's 14,000 people one) comes to KC, the convention is required to give the city $0.03, but other than that, all the money spent and taxes tallied up go to large corporations?
That seems to check out. Conventions only exist to serve "big fast food" sad, really.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: October 20, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »
KCFD, I sure hope you bought all of your supplies and vats and equipment from local manufacturers when you built out your brewery! Otherwise, you are providing no benefit to KC.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: October 20, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
Sorry I missed all this.

Lol what? How many pages back was this claimed.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: October 20, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »

how would you propose the mayor be more inclusive in a situation like this? 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: October 20, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
Sorry I missed all this.

Lol what? How many pages back was this claimed.

I'm sure the FFA, La Rasa and insurance commissioner conventions will pay that $50 million, 3 cents at a time.

i have asked wichitascribe where the $0.03 came from repeatedly

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: October 20, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
KCFD, I sure hope you bought all of your supplies and vats and equipment from local manufacturers when you built out your brewery! Otherwise, you are providing no benefit to KC.

Gonna win 'em all!
Guess I'm no good for kc then. I'll just close up shop, fire all of my employees, let the building we renovated go back to being vacant. Clearly my business provides no benefit to anyone.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: October 20, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
Maybe a local HVAC guy?  :ROFL:

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: October 20, 2015, 11:48:53 AM »
Maybe a local HVAC guy?  :ROFL:
Does north KC count???

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: October 20, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!
Guess I'm no good for kc then. I'll just close up shop, fire all of my employees, let the building we renovated go back to being vacant. Clearly my business provides no benefit to anyone.

Sorry man, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Actually...
Hey man, how is it going? Hitting your daily and weekly goals for sales? Haven't been back to KC since you opened, but when I do, I will stop by.

Also,
on a sad note, I was curious if you were close with either of the two firefighters? That was a very horrible incident. Prayers to their families and friends.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: October 20, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
Things are going well. About 50% above projections at this point. We'll see how it holds up over the winter, I'm guessing we'll slow down significantly. The hardest part right now is keeping fully staffed. Part time workers, man.

I did not know them personally, but a friend of mine knew one, used to work with him.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: October 20, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »

i agreed that he did and will continue to do everything perfectly

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: October 20, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
Sorry I missed all this.

Let me be very clear here: If the way you generate increased taxes is by giving tax money or tourism funds to large companies, you better ensure it will increase the tax revenue by more than the amount you have handed over.

If Budweiser launched a microbrewery brand to go head to head with local smaller breweries, wouldn't you be upset if Kansas City handed them $20 million to start with?  If money is to be made and the economy is to be helped by a businesses' building or expansion, why is government help needed?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: October 20, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
Anybody know the Global Prairie guy that is in a coma?
Sad. What a great dude.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: October 20, 2015, 12:43:29 PM »
Sorry I missed all this.

Let me be very clear here: If the way you generate increased taxes is by giving tax money or tourism funds to large companies, you better ensure it will increase the tax revenue by more than the amount you have handed over.

If Budweiser launched a microbrewery brand to go head to head with local smaller breweries, wouldn't you be upset if Kansas City handed them $20 million to start with?  If money is to be made and the economy is to be helped by a businesses' building or expansion, why is government help needed?
Do you really think the city would have agreed to a deal without doing due diligence on how much $ would be raised from tax revenue?  Obviously I don't know the numbers, but I have faith the city leaders wouldn't enter into a clearly losing proposition.

About the budweiser thing, that's not quite how it works.... What business is this hotel threatening directly? Like is there another hotel that's going to go out of business? Is there a small local brand that it will be hurting? Nope. Your comparison makes no sense. And for the record, budweiser buys a brewery every 5 days. You really think that company has never gotten a tax break from St Louis? What a joke.
If this is your argument why are you not upset about hotel Philips selling? A local brand, now owned by a national chain?! you have every right to not want the hotel, but don't make up stupid crap to defend yourself.

Tax breaks are there to lure companies in order make the city money. That's how it  works. Look at the border war between joco and kc.

If you don't think every small business owner in the downtown area is rough ridin' excited about this hotel you're wrong. I can promise you that because I am a small business owner in the downtown area. The potential of having 800+ more people within 3/4 of a mile of me?  eff Yeah. It helps the city in more way than one, man. The same goes for the streetcar, minus a select group people that are still blind to its' benefits.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: October 20, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »

i agreed that he did and will continue to do everything perfectly

just curious, that's all.  you don't have to answer if you don't want to. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: October 20, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
KCFDcat!  :emawkid:

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: October 20, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
It's touching how you have come to the defense of your passionate, but feeble minded friend. Next time he wants to have you argue on his behalf just have him send out a signal or something.

I also find your faith in local government inspiring. Of course receiving government paychecks likely colors your objectivity.