Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007423 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #2975 on: October 13, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »

Sad times guys.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
sorry friend. That sucks.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: October 14, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »
that is the 3rd grade soccer team banquet of awards.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: October 14, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »
i hate the pitch and their non stop charlie hustle t-shirt wearing faces

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: October 19, 2015, 10:33:11 AM »
so it would be ok to murder this loser from Wichita that is going to ruin the Hyatt deal right?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: October 19, 2015, 10:54:50 AM »
so it would be ok to murder this loser from Wichita that is going to ruin the Hyatt deal right?

Link?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: October 19, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »
my wife ran the half this weekend.  It was crazy seeing those Kenyan runners blazing through the finish of the full.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: October 19, 2015, 11:31:11 AM »

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: October 19, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »
People that are going to be dead in less than 5 years shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on things that are intended to raise the quality of life for the next 30

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: October 19, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »

Link?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article39349803.html

it makes me foam at the mouth to read what this moron has to say

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article38863875.html

what specific part of coffey's message do you take issue with?

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: October 19, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »
the part where he thinks it is reasonable to not want any public funds used for the hyatt, and by a loophole* may force the issue to be voted on, which would delay it enough to possibly not happen. the vote would overwhelmingly be in favor of the hotel, but by then it might not matter. i mean there were already several conventions that booked KC once the hotel was announced. how much tax revenue would be generated from 800 rooms? and it is not stealing rooms from other hotels. it is providing new rooms for conventions that would not be in KC otherwise. i don't know, i don't get it. This guy is just anti-everything. i understand being anti-new airport, and even maybe being anti-streetcar (though i disagree). but this one seems like a slam dunk to me.

* i say loophole because the number of signatures or whatever required on the petition is based not on the population of the city, but by the number of people who voted in the last mayoral election. obviously everyone loves Sly and he had no opposition in the last election, so the turnout was like 18,000 people or something like that.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: October 19, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
OT: holy crap the one light sign is ugly AF and they shouldnt have put it up. eff them.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: October 19, 2015, 12:45:47 PM »
i guess the main thing is, it is completely standard practice for tax abatements and such, and the $50 mil over 25 years would be more than made up for iyam. the project cost is $300m.

i mean ffs, olathe is giving $19.6m for an embassy suites (total cost = $51m)
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2014/03/31/olathe-hotel-and-conference-center.html

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: October 19, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »
rules are rules, they aren't loopholes
sly james and the city council prefer to shove their agenda down their constituents throats (streetcar, airport, hotel) without voter input.  i enjoy watching him get his hand slapped, he will learn sooner or later what politicking really means.

if this hotel is such a good deal for both the city and the developers from NY, it will be built.  it's not like there aren't people out there standing in line waiting to skim public assistance from city governments with massive little brother complexes. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: October 19, 2015, 03:34:49 PM »
sly james and the city council prefer to shove their agenda down their constituents throats (streetcar, airport, hotel) without voter input.  i enjoy watching him get his hand slapped, he will learn sooner or later what politicking really means.

if this hotel is such a good deal for both the city and the developers from NY, it will be built.  it's not like there aren't people out there standing in line waiting to skim public assistance from city governments with massive little brother complexes.

haha, what? 

the airport and streetcar financing have nothing to do with the hotel financing.   The streetcar is financed by a tax district that was approved by public vote.  in fact, downtown voters voted twice, first to set up the tax district, and second to approve the exact tax/assessment.  so, unless james is out there stuffing the ballot box (twice) then nothing about the streetcar has been forced down anybody's throat.  The TDD is perfectly legal.  you'll recall that a similar measure was presented to mid-town and plaza residents and they overwhelmingly rejected an expansion of the TDD, so the streetcar won't be expanded beyond downtown.  this is how votes work.           

The airport plan hasn't even been finalized.  but funding for the project will be subject to a public vote. 

The hotel involves the City Council unanimously voting 13-0 to offer tax incentives without public vote (the opposite of the streetcar and airport). 

City's offer TIF all the time without public votes.  ps, the project does not require new citywide taxes nor city guarantee of the public debt. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: October 19, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »

haha, what? 

the airport and streetcar financing have nothing to do with the hotel financing.   The streetcar is financed by a tax district that was approved by public vote.  in fact, downtown voters voted twice, first to set up the tax district, and second to approve the exact tax/assessment.  so, unless james is out there stuffing the ballot box (twice) then nothing about the streetcar has been forced down anybody's throat.  The TDD is perfectly legal.  you'll recall that a similar measure was presented to mid-town and plaza residents and they overwhelmingly rejected an expansion of the TDD, so the streetcar won't be expanded beyond downtown.  this is how votes work.           

The airport plan hasn't even been finalized.  but funding for the project will be subject to a public vote. 

The hotel involves the City Council unanimously voting 13-0 to offer tax incentives without public vote (the opposite of the streetcar and airport). 

City's offer TIF all the time without public votes.  ps, the project does not require new citywide taxes nor city guarantee of the public debt. 

your rambling post is difficult to respond to but essentially you reaffirmed my point that sly james ignores the will of the people and continually assumes he knows more than his constituency. he did it with the streetcar, he's done it as much as possible with the airport, and he's now trying to do it with the hotel.

our general election results have consistently reaffirmed that KC does not support the streetcar initiative.
so, as i said, sly decided to ignore the vote, continue to push his agenda, and went the route of a new vote by creating the "transportation district" knowing he could get it passed by limiting the vote to the few hundred residents who would benefit most from the toy train.

as it relates to this hotel, the voters in kcmo have put in place the petition clause and have executed the petition. sly, in his infinite wisdom, is doing everything he can to find a way to ignore his voters once again and push through the hotel despite the objectors having the required number of signatures to push the decision to use public funds to underwrite hotel costs to a general election.

trust me when i say that i don't need you lecture me about TIF funding procedures or any public financing of capital projects.

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: October 19, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »
 :bwpopcorn: :popcorn:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: October 19, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »
everybody wants the hotel except for 75 year old wichita tuck and pissclams, smdh

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: October 19, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »

your rambling post is difficult to respond to

let me slow er down for you.  the funding for the airport and streetcar (public votes) is entirely different than the convention hotel (City Council approved TIF). 

So in conclusion, your statement "prefer to shove their agenda down their constituents throats (streetcar, airport, hotel) without voter input," is equal parts baseless and Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).   

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: October 19, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
I think the hotel would probably be worth the skyline improvement alone but Kansas City's relentless pursuit of conventions and trade shows is really small time. The money and effort would be better served trying to improve the business environment.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: October 19, 2015, 06:49:37 PM »
everybody wants the hotel except for 75 year old wichita tuck and pissclams, smdh
i'm pro-hotel aside from Hyatt owning all catering rights down there, i just think that since the petition has met the requirements set forth that our city government needs to act within accordance of its own laws

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: October 19, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »
I think the hotel would probably be worth the skyline improvement alone but Kansas City's relentless pursuit of conventions and trade shows is really small time. The money and effort would be better served trying to improve the business environment.

This. Nothing is more overblown than the effects of conventions and other similar event on local economies. Most profits are going to airlines, rental car companies, chain restaurants and nationally owned hotels.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: October 19, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
Well eff, none of that stuff is taxed
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: October 19, 2015, 11:12:50 PM »
I'm sure the FFA, La Rasa and insurance commissioner conventions will pay that $50 million, 3 cents at a time.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: October 19, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »
Sounds like you have no clue what the tax and fees in kcmo are for the things you listed
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite