Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1006867 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #1625 on: February 20, 2015, 01:06:45 PM »
KC is the worst.  Some advice: see if you can get with codes and ask of you can request the same inspector for the multiple inspections you will get over the process.  Then meet with that guy and your contractor to get a feel for what he will be looking hardest at.  Then focus on that crap.  It will make it so that interpretation of the code isn't juggled from one inspector to another visit to visit, and also so that you are as prepared as possible for the initial inspections because they get to be more of a stickler when they do re-inspections.

Ah thanks man. my contractor is v experienced with KC/restaurant type stuff. I'm really hoping that process goes smoothly, but nothing else with the city has so I'm not sure why I think this part will...

The new wastewater requirements are insane. They wanted us to put in an exterior manhole in our parking lot. Thankfully we fought it and got it removed

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: February 20, 2015, 01:18:50 PM »
KC is the worst.

just curious, what are you comparing KC to in this situation?

in my experience most medium/large cities are "the worst", but the actual worst is a tie between San Diego and Miami-Dade county.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: February 20, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
Other local munis.   OP, Leawood, Lenexa, etc.  Have never had the pleasure of anything requiring permits outside NE KS or NW MO.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: February 20, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »
KC is the worst.

in my experience most medium/large cities are "the worst", but the actual worst is a tie between San Diego and Miami-Dade county.

I'm sure the big cities/cities with historical buildings really are "the worst"  I have a friend that is an architect in Boston and building/renovating stuff there is next to impossible.

In my opinion KC is just very understaffed/unorganized so things take way too long. combine that with a lot of construction going on downtown and their plan reviewers are really swamped. In everything I've done with the city for licensing/brewing/liquor control the city has not been very helpful or just plain didn't know how to do something. It's very frustrating that a city practically begging for businesses to come downtown is as unhelpful as it has been, especially coming from a first time business owner.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: February 20, 2015, 04:05:13 PM »
Finally got our building permits for the brewery today!  :excited: :excited:

it's very kansas city to have our project go through three months of plan review apparently.  :bang:

That sucks, supposedly they have been trying to make a small business one stop shop
http://kcmo.gov/kcbizcare/about/

Sounds like your hold up was planning department.  Sad because of the crap they let get through (see new Hilton2 hotel building design by you).  Definitely give feedback to the city....Rick Usher is the right ear to bend.  Feedback is the only way they will get better.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: February 20, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »
Other local munis.   OP, Leawood, Lenexa, etc.  Have never had the pleasure of anything requiring permits outside NE KS or NW MO.

What is different?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »
KC is the worst.

I'm sure the big cities/cities with historical buildings really are "the worst"  I have a friend that is an architect in Boston and building/renovating stuff there is next to impossible.

In my opinion KC is just very understaffed/unorganized so things take way too long. combine that with a lot of construction going on downtown and their plan reviewers are really swamped. In everything I've done with the city for licensing/brewing/liquor control the city has not been very helpful or just plain didn't know how to do something. It's very frustrating that a city practically begging for businesses to come downtown is as unhelpful as it has been, especially coming from a first time business owner.

Unfortunately you are entering one of the most regulated of businesses when you mix in liquor and manufacturing and public spaces.....laws to prevent another Pendergast type probably have a lot to do with it too.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:19 PM »
Finally got our building permits for the brewery today!  :excited: :excited:

it's very kansas city to have our project go through three months of plan review apparently.  :bang:

That sucks, supposedly they have been trying to make a small business one stop shop
http://kcmo.gov/kcbizcare/about/

Sounds like your hold up was planning department.  Sad because of the crap they let get through (see new Hilton2 hotel building design by you).  Definitely give feedback to the city....Rick Usher is the right ear to bend.  Feedback is the only way they will get better.
I go to the bizcare office weekly. They're pretty decent for a normal retail shop or office I think, but when it comes to manufacturing a regulated good (alcohol)  they're pretty lost.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: February 20, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »

What is different?

Ease, time, accountability, ability to reach someone, etc. 

That said, the inspectors are better, imo. 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: February 20, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
KC is the worst.

Unfortunately you are entering one of the most regulated of businesses when you mix in liquor and manufacturing and public spaces.....laws to prevent another Pendergast type probably have a lot to do with it too.
Exactly, I don't mind regulation, but when the government is so unfamiliar with the process that they don't know which forms to complete or how to get what I need it's obviously over regulated.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: February 20, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »

What is different?

Ease, time, accountability, ability to reach someone, etc. 

That said, the inspectors are better, imo.

So you've had more success opening a brewery in those other cities than KCMO?  That definitely adds layers of review is KCFD's case.  Did you use bizcare?  I've never opening a business in either, I'm just a city guy who wants to see KCMO improve this stuff is why I'm asking where it could be improved.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 20, 2015, 04:14:16 PM »
No, sorry for confusion.  Speaking to general construction.  I have never built a brewery.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 20, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »
KC is the worst.

Exactly, I don't mind regulation, but when the government is so unfamiliar with the process that they don't know which forms to complete or how to get what I need it's obviously over regulated.

Tell your story to Usher (via email, etc) if you have time...can't hurt. 

Oh and we'll make it worth your while!!!!  Good luck on the construction.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 20, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
KC is the worst.

Tell your story to Usher (via email, etc) if you have time...can't hurt. 

Oh and we'll make it worth your while!!!!  Good luck on the construction.
I've been in contact with the city Council member for my neighborhood, they've been mildly helpful in getting things moving.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 20, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
No, sorry for confusion.  Speaking to general construction.  I have never built a brewery.

It's definitely pretty common to hear with just GC too....then they let badly designed buildings just go through w/o a challenge.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 20, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
I can tell you that all cities of any size make permitting v difficult

Los Angeles is brutal

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 20, 2015, 07:51:18 PM »

Los Angeles is brutal

this is actually one area where LA and Dallas are v. different because you can build anything anywhere in Dallas anytime

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 20, 2015, 07:55:08 PM »

Los Angeles is brutal

this is actually one area where LA and Dallas are v. different because you can build anything anywhere in Dallas anytime
That's like a billion things the same and one thing different.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: February 20, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »

Los Angeles is brutal

That's like a billion things the same and one thing different.

100% agreed

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 20, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »

Los Angeles is brutal

amazon built a billion square foot warehouse in Coppell in like 2 days.  It was amazing.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 20, 2015, 08:51:47 PM »
Texas is pretty great

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire