Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 983212 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #13250 on: March 21, 2023, 01:12:00 PM »
Went to the Nelson-Atkins for the first time in like 13 years last weekend. What a fantastic institution and cultural treasure. Cannot believe that admission is free.

that's great

it really is. i took someone there from Germany who is probably the most well-traveled museum expert i know and they were like, why is this here
Why wouldn’t it be here?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13251 on: March 21, 2023, 01:13:59 PM »
Imagine being the most well traveled museum expert in all of Germany and not having foreknowledge about how great the Nelson is.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: March 21, 2023, 01:19:14 PM »
Imagine being the most well traveled museum expert in all of Germany and not having foreknowledge about how great the Nelson is.

Couldn't be me.

Online GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13253 on: March 21, 2023, 02:04:39 PM »
Went to the Nelson-Atkins for the first time in like 13 years last weekend. What a fantastic institution and cultural treasure. Cannot believe that admission is free.

I also went for the first time ever back in February, wow, it's so good/nice. Not Smithsonian level but I was truly impressed, KC should be very proud of that museum.
I haven't been yet since I moved to town. Will have to give it a looksie
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13254 on: March 21, 2023, 05:21:28 PM »

I also went for the first time ever back in February, wow, it's so good/nice. Not Smithsonian level but I was truly impressed, KC should be very proud of that museum.
The Contemporary section in the Bloch addition has some jaw-dropping abstract impressionist pieces by Rothko and Jackson Pollock. Never get tired of Thomas Hart Benton either.

It was really cold on Saturday but my smallest kiddo wanted to go outside and get her picture taken standing next to every shuttlecock in the outdoor sculpture garden. Great memory.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13255 on: March 21, 2023, 09:56:56 PM »

The Contemporary section in the Bloch addition has some jaw-dropping abstract impressionist pieces by Rothko and Jackson Pollock. Never get tired of Thomas Hart Benton either.

It was really cold on Saturday but my smallest kiddo wanted to go outside and get her picture taken standing next to every shuttlecock in the outdoor sculpture garden. Great memory.

I'm more a sucker classical to impressionist era. I was in general super impressed with their Asian and Near East Ancient Collection.

Also, the building itself is art unto itself, fantastic architecture, it's worth admiring on its own.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13256 on: March 22, 2023, 08:33:35 AM »

I'm more a sucker classical to impressionist era. I was in general super impressed with their Asian and Near East Ancient Collection.

Also, the building itself is art unto itself, fantastic architecture, it's worth admiring on its own.

It is magnificently positioned on the hill and very impressive to approach from the south. The large hall inside the original museum is a very impressive space as well

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: March 22, 2023, 10:35:40 AM »
My first trip in new terminal last week. A+

My lawd in heaven, some of these people.

Ridiculously long walk . . .  :lol:

There are a lot of people who need to learn to deal with the airport, 90% of all airports are like KCI now and they don't know how to deal with pick ups, moving sidewalks, etc.

My experience is honestly B+, it's nice, and overall a massive improvement, but they seemed to cheap out in some areas, and they definitely need to go through with a punch list crew and fix a few things, loose taps, TP holders that aren't properly mounted (mine was swinging from once of it's non receded screws), both of those happened just using the restroom once and that's insane (though minor) misses on something that should have been "done"

Maintenance wise they gotta step up too, early flight out yesterday, took 3 soap dispensers before I found one with soap, scuffed floors (really noticed it coming in late night Wednesday, better yesterday morning but still noticeable), and again, bathrooms looked in general as well kept as the old ones. Can you tell i was not impressed with the bathroom upkeep.

It's a bit nitpicky I get it, but for something that is 3 weeks old it is treated like the old one which is poor at best.

I noticed some things as well.  The monitors around the gate areas are very low end for a new airport and many are not very well mounted.   The LED pedestal and information display system they have at Dallas Love Field-SWA is simply out of this world fantastic, it's a shame I hate SWA.  This is something that new MCI needs to aspire to IMO. 

I am not that bothered by the somewhat spartan interior of the new terminal because that can be improved over time, and many airport terminals start out that way.  New construction is crushingly expensive these days (for example the current projects for K-State athletics are going to cost $20 million more than originally budgeted, the new Baylor arena is going to cost $20 million more than originally budgeted). 

I hope they fix the day to day maintenance issues quickly. Really no excuse for that, even in a tough labor market. Plenty of methods to get that rectified.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13258 on: March 23, 2023, 11:18:31 PM »

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13259 on: March 24, 2023, 12:25:45 AM »
My first trip in new terminal last week. A+

My lawd in heaven, some of these people.

Ridiculously long walk . . .  :lol:

There are a lot of people who need to learn to deal with the airport, 90% of all airports are like KCI now and they don't know how to deal with pick ups, moving sidewalks, etc.

My experience is honestly B+, it's nice, and overall a massive improvement, but they seemed to cheap out in some areas, and they definitely need to go through with a punch list crew and fix a few things, loose taps, TP holders that aren't properly mounted (mine was swinging from once of it's non receded screws), both of those happened just using the restroom once and that's insane (though minor) misses on something that should have been "done"

Maintenance wise they gotta step up too, early flight out yesterday, took 3 soap dispensers before I found one with soap, scuffed floors (really noticed it coming in late night Wednesday, better yesterday morning but still noticeable), and again, bathrooms looked in general as well kept as the old ones. Can you tell i was not impressed with the bathroom upkeep.

It's a bit nitpicky I get it, but for something that is 3 weeks old it is treated like the old one which is poor at best.

I noticed some things as well.  The monitors around the gate areas are very low end for a new airport and many are not very well mounted.   The LED pedestal and information display system they have at Dallas Love Field-SWA is simply out of this world fantastic, it's a shame I hate SWA.  This is something that new MCI needs to aspire to IMO. 

I am not that bothered by the somewhat spartan interior of the new terminal because that can be improved over time, and many airport terminals start out that way.  New construction is crushingly expensive these days (for example the current projects for K-State athletics are going to cost $20 million more than originally budgeted, the new Baylor arena is going to cost $20 million more than originally budgeted). 

I hope they fix the day to day maintenance issues quickly. Really no excuse for that, even in a tough labor market. Plenty of methods to get that rectified.

That's fair and it's fairly neutral for me on that. It does, however for now, give it a "brand x" generic feel, architecturally nothing screams "KC" though that does take some time (and I understand there isn't a "KC" architectural style, just nothing that gives it a "hey I am in KC" feel, it definitely is made up though in the local vendors, I think that is the compensation).

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13260 on: March 24, 2023, 07:24:31 AM »
the "KC architectural style" is just early 1970s brutalist (arrowhead, crown center, old KCI), which we are trying to replace with something else.
they could have gone Deco, to echo (lol) the P&L building, City Hall, Jackson County Courthouse, Municipal Auditorium, etc, but that would have just been pastiche and that is also not specific to KC.
the Shirtwaist home is the only architectural style that i know of that is truly unique to KC, and that is obviously n/a to an airport or any large commercial building

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13261 on: March 24, 2023, 09:33:19 AM »
The Town On The River. FTW

https://twitter.com/unionstationkc/status/1639103693114036228?s=46&t=mePkKn6StVV98h2WF84F2g

Ahhhh, Kansas City. The Town On The River. Why did no one else ever think to put a town on a river before? We'll probably never know, but it's interesting to think about.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13262 on: March 24, 2023, 09:40:42 AM »
the "KC architectural style" is just early 1970s brutalist (arrowhead, crown center, old KCI), which we are trying to replace with something else.
they could have gone Deco, to echo (lol) the P&L building, City Hall, Jackson County Courthouse, Municipal Auditorium, etc, but that would have just been pastiche and that is also not specific to KC.
the Shirtwaist home is the only architectural style that i know of that is truly unique to KC, and that is obviously n/a to an airport or any large commercial building

I just wish they did something to set it apart, like the the control tower at LA, or just the weirdness of DIA, something to be like "this is KC" even if in some small part

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13263 on: March 24, 2023, 10:45:22 AM »

https://twitter.com/unionstationkc/status/1639103693114036228?s=46&t=mePkKn6StVV98h2WF84F2g

Ahhhh, Kansas City. The Town On The River. Why did no one else ever think to put a town on a river before? We'll probably never know, but it's interesting to think about.
I'm sure at some point, humans will develop another settlement by a river but for now I will cherish Kansas City. My soul is drawn toward it along the waterways of central Kansas.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: March 24, 2023, 11:03:20 AM »

Union Station is nice, but the Marriott Powercat and other background purple is elite.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13265 on: March 24, 2023, 12:02:26 PM »

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13266 on: March 26, 2023, 10:57:45 PM »
So, been recently been seriously contemplating getting a condo/moving to the downtown KC area once I return from the great white north. Prolly a phil question but any good suggestions (I get availability is what it is) but I do see some prospects in the Western Auto building (some with and w/ the special assessment taken care of) as well as 1101 Walnut, which looks pretty choice.

General criteria: not insanely pricey (not over 350k, ideally 225-300k) 1 or two bed condos, HOA that makes sense for the price (~500/month) and gets me to be social for once. I'm single and truly ready to mingle and both stepping out of my comfort zone while having a space that is more than just an apartment.

Been scouting zillow and others, see some that fit, but if anyone has some good intel on spaces in the crossroads/central downtown/river market area.

Basically, living in the burbs (unless there is the condo near downtown OP) is just not easy to manage by myself, especially if I need to be gone for periods of time. Owning a house is definitely a multi person effort unless you are basically there all the time.

TIA, appreciate any advice. Just trying to simplify my life and getting back into the social scene upon my return

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13267 on: March 27, 2023, 07:09:21 AM »
I've owned a couple so have experience. I haven't looked on the market for a couple years though so not really up to date on what's a good deal out there. I'd avoid the cluster of buildings around 8th and locust. Heard nothing good about their HOA health. Whatever tier and Western auto recently in the news for misleading HOA management (the two you mentioned) but I think they are still healthier if you see a good deal and do your research.

Not a ton of options in KC for condos.
Happy to help with any specific questions. Tall building with elevators tend to get expensive fast with maintenance.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: April 08, 2023, 05:39:08 PM »
My brother works for an event management company, mainly music festivals but they have a small contract for something to do with the NFL draft.

Apparently the stage for the draft is so heavy they had to reinforce a lot of the underground parking in order to hold it.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13269 on: April 08, 2023, 06:48:22 PM »
:sdeek:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13270 on: April 08, 2023, 06:55:16 PM »
I don't love that

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: April 08, 2023, 11:48:30 PM »
LOL at any reinforcing of a parking garage structure sitting on wood 6x6s or whatever those are

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13272 on: April 09, 2023, 02:00:11 PM »
Luckily KC has absolutely ZERO history of catastrophic structural collapses in that area of town.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13273 on: April 09, 2023, 10:03:57 PM »
LOL at any reinforcing of a parking garage structure sitting on wood 6x6s or whatever those are
What would you prefer they sit on?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13274 on: April 10, 2023, 06:45:41 AM »
I remember when they were picking a site this was one of the reasons union station wasn't chosen. Must be how they got it to work.