Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 429322 times)

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
Don't forget the federally backed crop insurance programs, FSD.

Michigancat, please explain how affirmative legislation like farm subsidies qualifies as an "unintended consequence"?  Seems awfully intended to me.

Your Master,
Sugar Dick

not 100% sure you have a strong grasp on what unintended consequence means here

Shut up, libtard.  You are clueless.

Looks like the mental midget is getting pissed. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
Plant wind farms and allow the taxpayers of that area to eat crap in electricity rates so the people living in an area that should have never been settled can continue living there in perpetuity.

Unintended consequences of the federal govts "investments" galore!  Free land to farm yields settlement. Ethanol green energy causes irrigated corn to grow in a place it can't grow, diminishing the only reliable water source.  Wind to prop it upon the end. Meanwhile, we all pay more for water, food and energy.  Yay federal govt

Actually, you are paying far less for food due to high plains farming, and what good would this reliable water source be if the land had never been settled in the first place as you suggest?

Doubt it.  If we didn't grow it someone else would (Canada, Russia, China).  There's more potential supply at this point than demand. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
Plant wind farms and allow the taxpayers of that area to eat crap in electricity rates so the people living in an area that should have never been settled can continue living there in perpetuity.

Unintended consequences of the federal govts "investments" galore!  Free land to farm yields settlement. Ethanol green energy causes irrigated corn to grow in a place it can't grow, diminishing the only reliable water source.  Wind to prop it upon the end. Meanwhile, we all pay more for water, food and energy.  Yay federal govt

Actually, you are paying far less for food due to high plains farming, and what good would this reliable water source be if the land had never been settled in the first place as you suggest?

Doubt it.  If we didn't grow it someone else would (Canada, Russia, China).  There's more potential supply at this point than demand.

Are you really implying that importing most of our food supply would somehow be less expensive than supplying it ourselves?

:lol:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »

Michigancat, please explain how affirmative legislation like farm subsidies qualifies as an "unintended consequence"?  Seems awfully intended to me.

Your Master,
Sugar Dick

not 100% sure you have a strong grasp on what unintended consequence means here

Shut up, libtard.  You are clueless.

Looks like the mental midget is getting pissed.

Not sure you remember, but you dubbed yourself the mental midget here.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »

Are you really implying that importing most of our food supply would somehow be less expensive than supplying it ourselves?

Yeah, name one thing we make here that we also import where the import isn't more expensive.

What a rough ridin' dolt.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:21:26 PM by Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »

They aren't growing it now because we subsidize it to the point that they cannot compete with our prices. Drop the subsidies, and those other countries will start growing grain at the market rate, which is much higher than we are paying right now. We also lose our biggest export as a nation.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »

Yeah, name one thing we make here that we also import where the import isn't more expensive.

What a rough ridin' dolt.

The mental midget doesn't understand the difference between agricultural commodities and durable goods. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »
Ben would benefit from doing a little research before he posts.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 09, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

Says the mental midget who wants to export all of our food supply to countries like Russia and China.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »

Says the mental midget who wants to export all of our food supply to countries like Russia and China.

To be fair, he wants to stop exporting to them and import food from them at whatever price is profitable for them to grow it (a much higher price than we are paying to grow our own).

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »
To be fair, I said nothing of the sort.  Ben is grasping at straws and looking like a complete Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), which is pretty much his m.o.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »

They aren't growing it now because we subsidize it to the point that they cannot compete with our prices. Drop the subsidies, and those other countries will start growing grain at the market rate, which is much higher than we are paying right now. We also lose our biggest export as a nation.

I agree.  That's why I said if we don't grow it someone else will.

I'm not advocating for stopping farming out there, I'm just debunking some theories on why we shouldn't.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »

To be fair, he wants to stop exporting to them and import food from them at whatever price is profitable for them to grow it (a much higher price than we are paying to grow our own).

Right.  China and Russia would essentially own our food supply, because we'd be importing from them and not producing any of our own.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2013, 01:48:59 PM »
But not at ridiculously higher prices than we pay today. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »
this thread did a nose dive off the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) cliff. and it was already cruising down Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) blvd to begin with.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2013, 01:54:54 PM »

It's basic supply and demand.  There's no way you could decrease the food supply by that much and expect prices to remain stable.  Also, when imports > exports, GDP decreases.  Importing most or all of the food supply is a truly horrible idea.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
Per Bens billboard on Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) blvd, the entire nations food supply comes from the panhandle of Oklahoma. In other words, a dirt farmer in Oklahoma feeds 300 million people + you!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2013, 01:55:59 PM »

If their prices weren't higher, we would be importing from them today.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »

It's basic supply and demand.  There's no way you could decrease the food supply by that much and expect prices to remain stable.  Also, when imports > exports, GDP decreases.  Importing most or all of the food supply is a truly horrible idea.

Listen fuckwad, I'm not saying it's a good idea.  It's just rough ridin' stupid to think that just because we don't make it ourselves it's going to cost more.  There is plenty of land ready to go to make up for what we don't produce.  It's happened a lot the last couple years with the drought.  Bottom line, our Big Macs aren't going to cost $8 if we stop growing wheat in the western third of Kansas.   

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »

With all of the subsidies on both sides and import tariffs, I'd say simple supply and demand is a misstatement.  Also, we are already one of the worlds largest importers of wheat.

My point all along is that less wheat was being grown due to a false increase in
 demand for irrigated corn caused by ethanol and resulting in a declining watershed for all crops in that region forever.
But you're too stupid to listen and were derailed by your petty anger and ignorance.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »

Your Master,
Sugar Dick

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I was helping you by adding to your list, because for the most part I agree with you on this topic. Although I don't think federal crop insurance was designed as an incentive to grow dryland corn where it has never grown well so the farmer can just collect insurance. Lots of farmers grow crops they really don't expect to produce because of crop insurance.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
Does crop insurance cover much more than the cost of the inputs? 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
Lots of farmers grow crops they really don't expect to produce because of crop insurance.

no they don't.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2013, 02:36:03 PM »

It covers enough for people to plant dryland corn specifically to collect insurance.

Lots of farmers grow crops they really don't expect to produce because of crop insurance.

no they don't.

Yes they do.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »

I think it's based on your average yield over the past 5 years. I don't think planting dryland corn and planning on raking in crop insurance dollars is a very good business model.