Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 433787 times)

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
Re: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread
« Reply #3300 on: July 07, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
So why even try!  Burn baby burn!

I think the fiscal in me doesn't like the waste of tax dollars that go to failed research. Where the realist in me knows that actual solutions will only come out of research. . .which will only happen with the proper funding.

If I knew that funding was going to people with a real shot at changing the energy game I'd support it 100%. . .I just do not trust the bureaucracy of the federal government to make those choices wisely and without bias.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: July 07, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »
So why even try!  Burn baby burn!

I think the fiscal in me doesn't like the waste of tax dollars that go to failed research. Where the realist in me knows that actual solutions will only come out of research. . .which will only happen with the proper funding.

If I knew that funding was going to people with a real shot at changing the energy game I'd support it 100%. . .I just do not trust the bureaucracy of the federal government to make those choices wisely and without bias.

That sounds like a you problem.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: July 07, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »
can confirm i have not been consulted

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
  • That's just like, your opinion, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: July 10, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »
Just another well-cited, extensively reviewed article outlining the projected future of climate change and how mumped up everything is going to be. But please, continue the blind defense of leaving global treaties and pacts that begin to start a global effort to combat the effects and causes... Grasping at straws and digging your head in the sand further.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

:fan-1:
untuck manhattan

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread
« Reply #3304 on: July 10, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »
Nothing worse than people who believe that a treaty that requires exactly NO/ZERO action or change of behavior from a multitude of parties is actually going to accomplish anything.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: July 10, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »
Cam might turn me into a daxian denier type just out of spite
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: July 10, 2017, 11:48:57 AM »
CAM is an energy poverty denialist. 

Just read an article that new taxes in California are going to further grow the level of energy poverty in that state and widining the disposable income gap.  I'll try and find it. 

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: July 10, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »
Cam might turn me into a daxian denier type just out of spite

Cool.
untuck manhattan

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: July 10, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »
Just another well-cited, extensively reviewed article outlining the projected future of climate change and how mumped up everything is going to be. But please, continue the blind defense of leaving global treaties and pacts that begin to start a global effort to combat the effects and causes... Grasping at straws and digging your head in the sand further.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

that article leads me to believe if the entire planet cut off 100% of fossil fuels tomorrow cold turkey, we'd still be F'd

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: July 10, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »

that article leads me to believe if the entire planet cut off 100% of fossil fuels tomorrow cold turkey, we'd still be F'd

Agreed. From everything I have read up to this point, my understanding is that it's not if we are going to get f'd but how bad. Basically, in a manner of speaking we can take climate change out to dinner, romance it a bit, wear protection and add lube by changing our current systems and trajectory OR we can get jumped in an alley and raw-dogged by an STD infested gang by continuing our behaviors and ignoring the science.
untuck manhattan

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: July 10, 2017, 01:53:11 PM »
i may end up taking my family of 8 and moving to the remote pacNW, captain fantastic style

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: July 10, 2017, 01:57:01 PM »
Global Warming is going to be a boon for Canada and Alaska, etc.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #3312 on: July 10, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »

This is the biggest thing...

What follows is not a series of predictions of what will happen — that will be determined in large part by the much-less-certain science of human response. Instead, it is a portrait of our best understanding of where the planet is heading absent aggressive action. It is unlikely that all of these warming scenarios will be fully realized, largely because the devastation along the way will shake our complacency. But those scenarios, and not the present climate, are the baseline. In fact, they are our schedule.

There have been some good signs lately in terms of action.  The G20, minus us, reaffirmed their commitment to Paris, and most signs point to market forces and state/local action helping us meet (and possibly exceed) our targets.  Morgan Stanley just did research and found that by 2020, renewables will be the cheapest form of energy there is.* Tesla is providing a new battery in South Australia that may help provide much better storage for renewables.  Volvo made the decision to go all electric/hybrid, Tesla released the Model 3, and some estmates are that at least 1/3 of all cars on the road will be fully electric by 2040.

It's not enough, right now, but there's positive momentum. I've read some other analysts who say we're underestimating how fast solar is going to grow.  So, I'm hopeful.

A 2 degree rise is likely to happen.  There isn't much that can stop that unless we find ways to extract carbon.  If you believe like a lot of futurists do (i.e. Kurzwell, Burke), we'll be hitting that technological singularity in the middle of the 21st century, and nanotech can help us reverse some of the negative effects of climate change.  While NASA, SpaceX, and others continue to work on a Mars colony, what we learn from trying to terraform Mars can be used here on some scale.  A lot of these things all come to a head between 2040-2050 by most estimates, which is when some MIT research from earlier this year says we need to be well on the road to zero carbon. 

Also, the amount of carbon is a sliding scale if we're able to reduce methane, etc.

I think what the NY Mag put out there serves a purpose, and that's to try and spur some action, but I think we'll ultimately be alright on some level.  There's no time to procrastinate, but I don't think most are. Ultimately, what Trump, Republicans, etc. are trying to do with fossil fuels right now will ultimately fail. There's no going back now. We've reached a confluence where most of the world sees an existential threat, business sees an economic threat, and governments see a host of very expensive problems that only get more expensive if they don't act now.

*http://www.businessinsider.com/solar-power-energy-renewables-cheapest-power-says-morgan-stanley-2017-7
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:19:39 PM by Panjandrum »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: July 10, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »
No warmist alarmist should be taken seriously on this issue until the concept (that is embedded in warmist alarmist dogma) that all roads lead to AGW is eradicated.   Even the 3rd edition of the IPCC's so called definition of climate change NOW includes natural climate variability. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: July 10, 2017, 02:42:32 PM »
BTW, you Cali residents should probably prepare the UPS's and Standby Generators on 8/21, just in case.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: July 10, 2017, 02:53:36 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sixth-mass-extinction-biological-annihilation/
At the end of the article guess what the cause is?  Doggabit humans.  Global warming, over population, hunting, tree killing, road building, unnatural sexual act ........
I thought we had evolution to help critters adapt.  Maybe species are devolving with messed up gene pools.  Maybe we are losing polar bears due to retardation?  Deer are getting more stupid too.  I blame this on the Chinese.  They throw invasive species in containers coming to America and these critters have killed our pine trees and ruined fishing holes.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: July 10, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
No warmist alarmist should be taken seriously on this issue until the concept (that is embedded in warmist alarmist dogma) that all roads lead to AGW is eradicated.   Even the 3rd edition of the IPCC's so called definition of climate change NOW includes natural climate variability.

one great thing about natural climate variability is that we know for sure it hasn't wiped out 97% of life on earth at any time in history.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: July 10, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »

one great thing about natural climate variability is that we know for sure it hasn't wiped out 97% of life on earth at any time in history.

So AGW is going to wipe out 97% of life on earth? 

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: July 10, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »

who knows? what we do know is that natural climate variability is as comfortable and safe as a warm (LOL) blanket, and it has most certainly not ever wiped out almost all life on earth multiple times.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3319 on: July 10, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »
If you think the world is going to end from agw in your lifetime, you are a fucktard.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3320 on: July 10, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
Mars colony  :lol:

Zero carbon  :lol:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: July 10, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »

who knows? what we do know is that natural climate variability is as comfortable and safe as a warm (LOL) blanket, and it has most certainly not ever wiped out almost all life on earth multiple times.

Okay then

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: July 12, 2017, 03:12:43 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sixth-mass-extinction-biological-annihilation/
At the end of the article guess what the cause is?  Doggabit humans.  Global warming, over population, hunting, tree killing, road building, unnatural sexual act ........
I thought we had evolution to help critters adapt.  Maybe species are devolving with messed up gene pools.  Maybe we are losing polar bears due to retardation?  Deer are getting more stupid too.  I blame this on the Chinese.  They throw invasive species in containers coming to America and these critters have killed our pine trees and ruined fishing holes.
Blame emo. Hunters only take the prime examples. Nobody wants to snipe the ugly lumpy lopsided elk.

The Big Train

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: July 12, 2017, 08:02:36 AM »
We don't know what the optimal amount of ice in Antarctica even is TBT .