Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 438108 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread
« Reply #3125 on: June 04, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »
The United States:  Okay we're going to give somebody a lot of money, institute draconian policies that will place many of our citizens in energy poverty while killing economic growth.  Even though we don't have the faintest of clues if what we do is going to accomplish anything at all.  Oh, and through this process we're going to pump a whole bunch of money into the pockets of a very small handful of new energy oligarchs who are politically connected. 

Other noted G7 and developing countries:  Okay, sounds great Obama err the United States.  Okay, we promise to take these ideas under consideration.  We promise to show up at conferences to tell everyone how strongly we are considering making changes.  We'll then talk about some long term goals, show some really great power points and then go home and basically do nothing.   We'll assign some politicians to some committees and they'll meet (at some really nice hotels and resorts) to talk about things.  Oh, but keeping pumping that cash in there United States. 

Barrack:  Sounds like a great deal!
[/quote]

:dunno:
Considering the alternative this actually sounds like a lot of progress and a great framework to build from when ignoring your over-the-top exaggerations ("energy poverty", "kill economic growth", climate change denialism, etc).   LOL, there is no framework for anything here at all.  It's one country committing that they'll kinda sorta try and do something, then apologize for all of their old "sins" with money.  While the other huge polluters in the world say they're gonna think about it and get back to us.

I mean moving the entire world towards greater sustainability, clean alternative energy sources, reduced emissions is going to be a pretty hard, messy, and definitely not perfect at first, transition. But just like with healthcare or wall street reform, because of how large, powerful, and entrenched the status quo is, incremental progress is easier and better than doing nothing at all or doubling down on failed policies.   That's a lot of gibberish to say that the government needs to let the free market system act to fix the so called "problem" of which, again, we cannot even adequately assess, define, study or even determine the specific causation of the problem because the systems in play are so vast and complex.   To say otherwise is just nonsense.  Oh and the free market system doesn't mean the cleptocracy of chosen ones that I'll address here in a moment.

Google:  Nearly every piece of Google logo'd or licensed gear is manufactured in countries which will likely adhere to nothing in regards to the PA (it's really a treaty that should have been ratified by Congress).    Their entire movement into transportation and other areas is clearly motivated by profit and they are lobbying for a policy which will increase their profit the most based on their business model.   There's not an ounce of altruism in what they're doing, and they're going to farm being one of the chosen ones for as long as they can (can't blame them). 

Apple:  :lol:  Apple is one of the biggest polluters in the world, offshoring nearly every facet of their manufacturing to countries who are on the "we'll think about it list".    To use their name is laughable, but you can suggest that they are clearly motivated by margin and profit. 

GE:   :lol:  GE has 10 factories in India (just one example), clearly one of the "we'll think about it and get back to you".   GE will keep enough domestic manufacturing to not make too many people mad but will continue to ramp up production in non-adhering countries. 

Tesla:   :lol: :lol: :lol:

150 Mayors, the Vatican, the rest of the planet, and most americans are all on the same page in what this was, that being a first step forward, cooperation and compromise together. But no, not to the GOP and Trump...  to them itt was a "bad deal" (not for the rest of us but for their oil gas extraction buddies).   LOL, way to paint with the broadest of brushes. 

Silver-lining in this all is that Trump is becoming the villain that everyone can rally against. It's almost as if he watched the classic oscar Willis film Unbreakable and thought to himself, "I have to be as bad a president as I possibly can be so that the best heros will emerge to take me down". I'm an optimist in that I still have hope in humanity. Trump, the GOP, Putin, Alex Jones,  David Duke, Dax, KSU-W, Reno, FSD, Emo, etc... they all are pessimists that want to regress society (and the world) back to barbaric tribalism. It's the only way they feel they will maintain their "superiority" to young people, LGBT, women, muslims, europeans, asians, jews, moderates, the pope, liberals, progressives, uppity blacks, regular everyday americans, etc...  That's one of the biggest bags of gibberish I've ever read on this board, but not at all unexpected from you. 

It's really sad we will have to endure the consequences of their intellectually and philosophically corrupt and bankrupt decisions for decades to come.   People who think will never acknowledge or accept that the "science is settled" on anything relative to a system as complex as Earth's climate.   You simply parrot and regurgitate nonsensical talking points.

Cam, I give your OP:   :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk: :jerk:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: June 04, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »
I don't understand why being motivated by profit is a bad thing.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: June 04, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »

Where did I say it was?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: June 04, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: June 04, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »

Where did I say it was?
I thought you were implying that. If not, my mistake.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: June 04, 2017, 05:34:47 PM »
profit's weakness as a motivation is that it limits decision making to effects in one human lifespan

a fine way to live a life, but the best way to sustain a civilization?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: June 04, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »
What a noble agreement

Like the Iran nuclear deal, this was, in effect, a treaty. But because President Obama never brought it to the Senate for ratification (it wouldn’t have passed in its current form) it amounts to an executive order that Trump felt free to undo. Why wouldn’t he? He campaigned against it, and nearly the entire Republican Party considers it a lousy deal for American taxpayers, bad for the U.S. economy and of infinitesimal benefit to the environment.

For starters, the accord is non-binding and countries are free to set their own goals. Putting his money where his mouth was, Obama committed the U.S. to achieving a 26 percent to 28 percent reduction in carbon emissions by 2025. The other big polluters didn’t match Obama’s bravado. China, the only nation to emit more carbon dioxide than the United States, merely offered that its carbon emissions would cap in 2030. India announced goals that represented an increase in what it had already predicted. Pakistan promised to try to reduce its output after reaching “peak” emissions “to the extent possible.”

To facilitate these nebulous and unenforceable goals, the Obama administration agreed to spearhead a transfer of wealth from prosperous nations to developing economies: These payments were to total $10 billion, $3 billion of it from the U.S., of which $1 billion has already been paid. So Trump saved American taxpayers $2 billion on Thursday, which is a nice day’s work for a guy who’s not even taking a salary

I bet the international PR hit/goodwill lost was worth more than $2 billion.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: June 04, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
Too lazy to look back in this thread, I know it was mentioned many times that if clean energy were more profitable that the private sector would take care of it. That the govt should not be giving money to green energy projects. Now it seemed profit seeking was being used as a reason to discount the support of corporations that are for green projects.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3133 on: June 04, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »

Considering the alternative this actually sounds like a lot of progress and a great framework to build from when ignoring your over-the-top exaggerations ("energy poverty", "kill economic growth", climate change denialism, etc).

I mean moving the entire world towards greater sustainability, clean alternative energy sources, reduced emissions is going to be a pretty hard, messy, and definitely not perfect at first, transition. But just like with healthcare or wall street reform, because of how large, powerful, and entrenched the status quo is, incremental progress is easier and better than doing nothing at all or doubling down on failed policies.

It's quite telling how important this issue actually is when everyone who is allegedly concerned gets together and essentially agrees to do nothing and change nothing.

Bravo!
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: June 04, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
what do you think about the talking point that we are giving up our seat in international leadership to our rivals?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: June 04, 2017, 08:48:45 PM »
what do you think about the talking point that we are giving up our seat in international leadership to our rivals?
That's similar to what I was getting at. Leading the conversation is probably worth $2 billion easily because it will have huge implications on trade agreements moving forward. Maybe not immediately but over time.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: June 04, 2017, 09:05:22 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.dailycaller.com/2017/06/03/obamas-decisions-doomed-the-paris-climate-accord-to-failure-in-the-us-experts-say/
It's obama's fault.  If he would have followed the constitution instead of using executive dictatorship  action, he would have a ratified treaty that Trump could not have done a thing about.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: June 04, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »
Warmist Zealots, it bears repeating every couple of dozen pages that this whackjob is on your team. Maybe reflect on that.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/06/04/al_gore_i_dont_have_a_private_jet_i_live_a_carbon-free_lifestyle.html
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: June 05, 2017, 07:01:45 AM »
Large scale wildfires lol.

Please explain why that's lol?

Please explain to me why it's attributable to global warming.

come take a drive through the sierra nevadas.

Not attributable. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: June 05, 2017, 07:08:50 AM »
Bigger bogeyman, climate change or Trump?

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
  • That's just like, your opinion, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: June 05, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
Answers your questions Dax and supports the Trump is a toddler loser argument

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5scez5dqtAc[/youtube]
untuck manhattan

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: June 05, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
Answers your questions Dax and supports the Trump is a toddler loser argument

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5scez5dqtAc[/youtube]

:lol: that's great
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: June 05, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »
CAM may be the biggest gurgling simpleton on this board.  Given the competition, that's pretty amazing.

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: June 05, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
CAM may be the biggest gurgling simpleton on this board.  Given the competition, that's pretty amazing.

Avoid, deflect and obfuscate... classic Dax.

LOL  :lol:

:jerk:
untuck manhattan

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: June 05, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »

Lol, I took you're last idiotic post point by point. 

You showed the "depth" of your "intellect" with your "at least it's a start" comment the ended with gurgling gibberish.

A non binding, unenforceable agreement is your definition of a "start".   Half of the nations that signed on to the last "binding" climate agreement have already pulled out and the United States never signed on to begin with. 

So, please parrot out something that was covered 100 pages ago. 

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: June 05, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »

You showed the "depth" of your "intellect" with your "at least it's a start" comment the ended with gurgling gibberish.

A non binding, unenforceable agreement is your definition of a "start".   Half of the nations that signed on to the last "binding" climate agreement have already pulled out and the United States never signed on to begin with. 

:ROFL:

You say I'm a gurgling simpleton when you are the one who blindly and loyally supports Trump, the true epitome of a gurgling simpleton.

Also, your "point by point" takedown, like most of the trash you spew out, is so incredibly and blatantly ill-informed and off base it is not worth my time (or others) responding or refuting it.

By the way, the darkness of your cynicism and your ready willingness to support fascists and plutocrats is frankly alarming and you should probably retreat to your bunker so as to avoid as much interaction and impact in larger society as possible. :thumbsup:
untuck manhattan

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: June 05, 2017, 12:34:14 PM »

:ROFL:

You say I'm a gurgling simpleton when you are the one who blindly and loyally supports Trump, the true epitome of a gurgling simpleton.

Also, your "point by point" takedown, like most of the trash you spew out, is so incredibly and blatantly ill-informed and off base it is not worth my time (or others) responding or refuting it.

The darkness of your cynicism and your ready willingness to support fascists and plutocrats is frankly alarming and you should probably retreat to your bunker so as to avoid as much interaction and impact in larger society as possible. :thumbsup:

Dude, your last post was nothing but glowing praise for the kleptocrats and the crony capitalist oligarchs.   Regulation plays straight into the hands of huge corporations who are politically connected. 

You're clearly in love with a former Pres who ran the biggest domestic spying campaign in US history.  One that has the former East German Stasi apparatchiks looking on in awe.  A guy who willfully and unilaterally signed the US on to an agreement that required the Russians and Chinese to ostensibly do nothing and unlike the United States they've paid nothing and will never pay anything into the fund.   A non legally binding agreement that literally means nothing.   An agreement that if unilaterally enforced would most certainly have those kleptocrats you love moving even more of their  manufacturing offshore to non compliant countries.

You're an idiot. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: June 05, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »

Not attributable.

there's no way to know.  but predictions predict that future climates will resemble those of the last few years more than they resemble this year.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: June 05, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
Large scale wildfires lol.

Please explain why that's lol?

Please explain to me why it's attributable to global warming.

Not attributable.

How so? Climate change hasn't exasperated drought in California?