Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 437658 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread
« Reply #2800 on: March 13, 2017, 04:11:05 PM »
What do you think?

I'd like to have an open mind here.
Ok then do the research.

Any links you'd care to share?  I prefer read studies and not someone's watered down interpretation of a study.
I'm not your librarian.  Do your own lit search.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: March 13, 2017, 04:56:40 PM »
Might as well delete the whole thread if this is the culture around here.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: March 13, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »

Ah yes, the high brow intellectual salon culture of the Joe Montgomery Birther Pit is in decline.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2803 on: March 13, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »
C02 emissions have no measurable impact on the earth's temperature.
-chingon itt

#caseclosed
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2804 on: March 13, 2017, 10:11:48 PM »
The sense of entitlement is amazing.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: March 14, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »
If you'd prefer to post a word cloud that'd be fine.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: March 14, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
Millennials smdh
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2807 on: March 14, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »

Providing you with links to papers would simply be a waste of time for both of us.  You lack the capacity (and effort/ability to the gain the capacity) to understand, let alone critically evaluate, the claims they make about this topic. You are much better off doing what you originally mentioned, which is digesting pre-interpreted and watered-down information from blogs and websites that reinforce the conclusions you wanted to draw in the first place.   As I said, this will save us both time.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: March 14, 2017, 11:39:46 AM »
Oh no, no guys. 

The propagandists already dismissed things like the UHIE (Urban Heat Island Effect) a long time ago because it negatively impacted their political agenda. 

So they'll be no discussion of heat generation unless it exclusively revolves around carbon emissions. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
  • That's just like, your opinion, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: March 14, 2017, 01:40:25 PM »
Oh no, no guys. 

The propagandists already dismissed things like the UHIE (Urban Heat Island Effect) a long time ago because it negatively impacted their political agenda. 

So they'll be no discussion of heat generation unless it exclusively revolves around carbon emissions. 

While the UHIE is absolutely a problem, this is this first I've heard of it contributing to climate change. If you wouldn't mind sharing I would love to learn more.

But in regards to emissions, it's not just CO2 that is the worry but also methane.

FSD, dax, ksuw, etc... try not to be so obtuse with the complexity at play here. The models and forecasting are not going to be perfect, however the scientific community has a pretty good idea of narrowing down the possibilities.

It's very sad seeing fossil fuel industry's interests leading the energy, health, and agriculture future of our country. Greed is a massive problem in America. I'd say corporate influence is the main issue here but of course the whole reason why that is a problem in the first place is rooted in money and thus greed. Over-consumption is a form of greed too.  But it's not just about societal greed, but more importantly how a small handful of American resource extraction oligarchs are now dictating our entire environmental policy. They will manipulate peoples' prejudices in all kinds of ways to divide and conquer, whether it's religion, racism, regional biases, or whatever else they use. But mostly it's about how the Koch Brothers, Exxon, and their ilk are raping us all in the long run to ensure profits in the short term.
untuck manhattan

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: March 14, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »
Cam, greed is the #1 driving force behind "climate science", or any profession for that matter. Sorry you're so naive.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: March 14, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »
Let's be honest, if the cost of doing absolutely nothing is that the planet warms up 1 degree over the next 50 years, and the cost to prevent the planet from warming up 1 degree is trillions of dollars and forfeiting a small bit of your quality of life, it's a really easy decision.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: March 14, 2017, 02:38:50 PM »
Cam, greed is the #1 driving force behind "climate science", or any profession for that matter. Sorry you're so naive.

Interesting take

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: March 14, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »

Providing you with links to papers would simply be a waste of time for both of us.  You lack the capacity (and effort/ability to the gain the capacity) to understand, let alone critically evaluate, the claims they make about this topic. You are much better off doing what you originally mentioned, which is digesting pre-interpreted and watered-down information from blogs and websites that reinforce the conclusions you wanted to draw in the first place.   As I said, this will save us both time.

I have no preconceived notions here.  I would genuinely like to read something and educate myself.  No need to be so guarded.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2814 on: March 14, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »
So go educate yourself.  Didn't you graduate with some sort of engineering degree from KSU? I'm sure some where along the way you were exposed to how to search for journal articles.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: March 14, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
wacky has just the hashtag for this

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: March 14, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »

So how do we protect ourselves as a society from the negative impacts that accompany excessive or out-of-control greed? I would say regulation. The almighty market sure isn't going to do it for us. Sorry you're so naive.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:18:37 PM by camKSU »
untuck manhattan

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: March 14, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
Let's be honest, if the cost of doing absolutely nothing is that the planet warms up 1 degree over the next 50 years, and the cost to prevent the planet from warming up 1 degree is trillions of dollars and forfeiting a small bit of your quality of life, it's a really easy decision.

But it's not though, you imbecile...

You may only live 50 more years but your kids and grandkids and some of us around here hope to be here a little longer than that. And sure it may be a little uncomfortable and cut into our excessive opulence of sprawling 3000sf houses, and SUVs... but so what? Isn't it worth it?
untuck manhattan

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: March 14, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »

So how do we protect ourselves as a society from the negative impacts that accompany excessive or out-of-control greed? I would say regulation. The almighty market sure isn't going to do it for us. Sorry you're so naive.

Greed and the free market are not synonymous, silly. Greed is, of course, also the #1 driver of regulation (e.g. market barriers that pervert free markets). Sorry you're so naive.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: March 14, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »

You may only live 50 more years but your kids and grandkids and some of us around here hope to be here a little longer than that. And sure it may be a little uncomfortable and cut into our excessive opulence of sprawling 3000sf houses, and SUVs... but so what? Isn't it worth it?

I suppose if we make zero technological advancements over the next 50 years our grandkids will be in trouble (albeit climate won't be in the top 100 troubles). Great point, Cam.

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: March 14, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »

I suppose if we make zero technological advancements over the next 50 years our grandkids will be in trouble (albeit climate won't be in the top 100 troubles). Great point, Cam.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/scott-pruitt-climate-change-denying-epa-chief-carbon-dioxide-global-warming-donald-trump-american-a7628766.html

Pruitt reportedly responded by plugging his fingers in his ears and yelling "LA!LA!LA!LA!LA!LA!LA!LA!LA!LA!LA!LA!" at the top of his lungs.
untuck manhattan

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: March 14, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »
Partisan drivel
Lol at this headline(clickbait)
Scott Pruitt: Climate change-denying EPA chief is told carbon dioxide causes global warming

Compared to substance
The American Meteorological Society has written to the new head of the US Environmental Protection Agency to correct him after he claimed carbon dioxide was not the primary cause of global warming.

However in its letter, the AMS said thousands of scientists worldwide had all reached the same conclusion that carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases were driving the rise in temperature

Not sure these guys even disagree
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:27:36 PM by Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: March 14, 2017, 11:33:04 PM »
Um
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline camKSU

• SLTH
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:32 AM »

Scott Pruitt: Climate change-denying EPA chief is told carbon dioxide causes global warming

Compared to substance
The American Meteorological Society has written to the new head of the US Environmental Protection Agency to correct him after he claimed carbon dioxide was not the primary cause of global warming.

However in its letter, the AMS said thousands of scientists worldwide had all reached the same conclusion that carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases were driving the rise in temperature

Not sure these guys even disagree

Not sure what could drive you to that conclusion. Pretty sure they are clearly stating they absolutely disagree with Pruitt... and moreover you still refuse to comprehend or acknowledge that the scientific community is not saying that it is only CO2, but that it is the defining contributing factor among others.

Even "mad-dog mattis" gets it. But you and your ilk think we should just keep driving right off the cliff because it might mean higher taxes on the rich and powerful.

Sad.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/james-mattis-us-defence-secretary-climate-change-destabilise-world-security-donald-trump-global-a7630676.html

untuck manhattan

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: March 15, 2017, 05:07:09 PM »
According to my reading we're only 50PPM's away from having optimum CO2 levels, when the Earth's climate will quit changing and will be predictable throughout the millennia, and all of our problems will be solved . . . UTOPIA!   

U.S. - lowest CO2 emissions in nearly 4 decades.   Looks like we're on a good trend line fellas.