Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 437641 times)

The Big Train

Re: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread
« Reply #2450 on: February 03, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
You're looking at the cost of capital and output and not looking at its ability to meet the energy requirements of the Information Age and logistical and subsistence  needs of 7 billion people

What percentage of those 7 billion actually benefit from the way things are now?  Wouldn't a renewable energy source, for example solar(which is infinite in our timescale) benefit a much higher percentage?  I mean eff all the rest who can't afford, or have the capacity to take advantage of fossil fuels, right?

Nobody who can't afford electricity from fossil fuels is going to be able to afford it from solar.

Did you not see the drop in price?  The better it gets the cheaper it will be in the long run. At some point it will cost less.  If we don't do anything to advance it that never happens.

It seems like what we are doing now is working just fine, then.

Well if Dax has his way it won't be much longer.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: February 03, 2017, 03:45:48 PM »
You're looking at the cost of capital and output and not looking at its ability to meet the energy requirements of the Information Age and logistical and subsistence  needs of 7 billion people

What percentage of those 7 billion actually benefit from the way things are now?  Wouldn't a renewable energy source, for example solar(which is infinite in our timescale) benefit a much higher percentage?  I mean eff all the rest who can't afford, or have the capacity to take advantage of fossil fuels, right?

Nobody who can't afford electricity from fossil fuels is going to be able to afford it from solar.

Plenty of people can't. They're remote, whether that remoteness is due to water or land. Oil needs infrastructure to work too. Hell Hawaii would be an example of this.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: February 03, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »
Solar power also requires a lot of open land and infrastructure to work. It is feasible in some areas, but less so in others.

The Big Train

« Reply #2453 on: February 03, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »
I just used solar as an example, there are many others that would be more suitable for those places.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: February 03, 2017, 03:52:44 PM »
It's sort of a chicken-or-egg thing, anyway. Cheap power generates wealth. If the United States didn't have the electric grid we currently have, we wouldn't be able to afford to build it, either.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: February 03, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
Generally speaking, more jobs and more consuming is bad for the environment.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: February 03, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »
Solar power also requires a lot of open land and infrastructure to work. It is feasible in some areas, but less so in others.

Not if you put it on your house.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2457 on: February 03, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »
I enjoy the repeated mentions of invisibility.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: February 03, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »
Tidbits for thoughts on green energy meeting needs.  China just canceled upcoming coal plants in favor of renewables.  In fact, one stat I saw said that China has met all its increased energy needs since 2012 (2013?) with renewables. 

http://energypost.eu/chinas-continuing-renewable-energy-revolution-global-implications/
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601093/china-is-on-an-epic-solar-power-binge/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/world/asia/china-coal-power-plants-pollution.html

So as the rest of the world removes coal at the very least, or transitions off fossils we are still doubling down, allowing nations like China to expand at a capacity that could power most of Asia.  Further, as green energy is already reaching a point that it's cheaper then fossil fuels, continued investment will only accelerate that process and make the US less competitive when we have to spend more for energy then China, India, and Europe. 
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/25/cost-of-solar-power-vs-cost-of-wind-power-coal-nuclear-natural-gas/
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: February 03, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »
Tidbits for thoughts on green energy meeting needs.  China just canceled upcoming coal plants in favor of renewables.  In fact, one stat I saw said that China has met all its increased energy needs since 2012 (2013?) with renewables. 

http://energypost.eu/chinas-continuing-renewable-energy-revolution-global-implications/
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601093/china-is-on-an-epic-solar-power-binge/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/world/asia/china-coal-power-plants-pollution.html

So as the rest of the world removes coal at the very least, or transitions off fossils we are still doubling down, allowing nations like China to expand at a capacity that could power most of Asia.  Further, as green energy is already reaching a point that it's cheaper then fossil fuels, continued investment will only accelerate that process and make the US less competitive when we have to spend more for energy then China, India, and Europe. 
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/25/cost-of-solar-power-vs-cost-of-wind-power-coal-nuclear-natural-gas/

China basically has slave labor to produce solar panels.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: February 03, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »

Can we not import the panels?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: February 03, 2017, 11:17:29 PM »

Can we not import the panels?

Slightly above slave labor to make panels, I mean probably slightly better then FoxCon. 

But interesting you point out importing panels.  I'd note that this is the reason why a company like Solyndra failed so hard so fast.  The Chinese dropped the bottom out of the market with MASSIVE subsidies.  While we're busy smashing support for this industry China is killing it.  If they keep on this pace, they, and India, will own the green energy production market, and we'll be playing catch up for another 50 years like we are with Chinese steel. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2462 on: February 04, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »
China isn't killing anything technologically ednatard. We're doing fine on solar, and we don't need indentured servants to make it economic.

Stop acting like such a dumbfuck.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: February 04, 2017, 07:25:52 PM »
we should just buy it all from china then
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: February 04, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »

when solar-powered robots are making solar panels, how much will the panels cost?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: February 04, 2017, 10:43:52 PM »

when solar-powered robots are making solar panels, how much will the panels cost?

Almost as cheap as slave-made

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: February 04, 2017, 10:46:47 PM »
China isn't killing anything technologically ednatard. We're doing fine on solar, and we don't need indentured servants to make it economic.

Do you ever stop to think, maybe you should just beat yourself in the face with a hammer?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: February 04, 2017, 10:49:26 PM »

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: February 05, 2017, 06:29:53 AM »
Ednatard has convinced himself of something based upon a string of logical fallacies. Now, however, he's particularly crude about it.

Welcome back ednatard!

China is smoking the US in coal! And it's all Pruitt's fault!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: February 05, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
Edn gets so whackadoo angry.

Happy to see that a region of our nation that over the centuries has experienced droughts that have lasted decades is emerging from a 3 or 4 year drought.

Warmists were desperate to blame the drought on global climate disruption, but grudgingly had to admit it was just weather.

Maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: February 05, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »
Ednatard has convinced himself of something based upon a string of logical fallacies. Now, however, he's particularly crude about it.

Welcome back ednatard!

China is smoking the US in coal! And it's all Pruitt's fault!
It's great when you can't even mount an intellectual defense so you go straight to ad homs and misdirection.

Edn gets so whackadoo angry.

Happy to see that a region of our nation that over the centuries has experienced droughts that have lasted decades is emerging from a 3 or 4 year drought.

Warmists were desperate to blame the drought on global climate disruption, but grudgingly had to admit it was just weather.

Maybe next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for confirming you don't know what a drought is.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: February 05, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »

^^^
Edna, only he's not even right two times per day

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: February 06, 2017, 07:11:01 AM »

Do you ever stop to think, maybe you should just beat yourself in the face with a hammer?
No he doesn't. Same guy who thinks college makes people liberal.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: February 06, 2017, 07:11:50 AM »
He's a buffoon