Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 437870 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #1750 on: December 01, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »
I thought this was a better rebuttal:

https://medium.com/@miriamob/climate-change-is-real-and-important-646b663adcf#.3xywvxlf5

I agree it's bad to call resort to name calling.
thanks for reposting the stuff I posted 8 posts up.

It looked like a single link on tapatalk, and you're welcome

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: December 01, 2015, 12:06:53 PM »
He makes good points, but they're pretty much captain obvious points to anyone who pays attention.

But with Western Gov't subsidization of "green" energy and climate research on a rocket ship ride to $1 trillion plus a year, who wouldn't want to hop on the gravy train?

To what tune does the govt subsidize oil?  How about farming?  Are we all being fooled by big oil and big Ag?  Is the science even in yet?

"Green Energy" to "save the world" subsidization and research funding is accelerating at 20% per year, fossil fuel subsidization is on similar percentile decline.

I also appreciate the president offering to toss money into a pot for 3rd world countries to mitigate what is nearly impossible to quantify or to even prove is actually happening at the hand one of singular scientific theory   :thumbsup:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: December 01, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »
Is your issue the science or the subsidies?  I mean, decline or not, oil subsidies surely dwarf green ones by, what, 10x?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: December 01, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »
He makes good points, but they're pretty much captain obvious points to anyone who pays attention.

But with Western Gov't subsidization of "green" energy and climate research on a rocket ship ride to $1 trillion plus a year, who wouldn't want to hop on the gravy train?

To what tune does the govt subsidize oil?  How about farming?  Are we all being fooled by big oil and big Ag?  Is the science even in yet?

"Green Energy" to "save the world" subsidization and research funding is accelerating at 20% per year, fossil fuel subsidization is on similar percentile decline.

I also appreciate the president offering to toss money into a pot for 3rd world countries to mitigate what is nearly impossible to quantify or to even prove is actually happening at the hand one of singular scientific theory   :thumbsup:

Sounds pretty appropriate
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1754 on: December 01, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »
Is your issue the science or the subsidies?  I mean, decline or not, oil subsidies surely dwarf green ones by, what, 10x?

Surely you are a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) if you think oil subsidies dwarf green subsidies.

Oil "subsidies" largely come in the form of depletion and run about $8 billion per year.  AG subsidies I think run about $40-60 billion per year. Not sure, but I think society has a vested interest in maintaining a consistent food supply. We don't want to be WW1 russia, starving because there aren't any farmers. In 2013 Wind and Solar energy got about 65% (75% if you include nuclear) of all energy subsidies and made up about 4% of the power grid.

Basically, your preconceived notion is unfounded and incredibly ignorant. Maybe tune into less msnbc and thinkprogress.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1755 on: December 01, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
Oil and gas got about 5% of all energy subsidies during the same period.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: December 01, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
Obama is never wrong.  So how can his science be wrong.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: December 01, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »

Surely you are a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) if you think oil subsidies dwarf green subsidies.

Oil "subsidies" largely come in the form of depletion and run about $8 billion per year.  AG subsidies I think run about $40-60 billion per year. Not sure, but I think society has a vested interest in maintaining a consistent food supply. We don't want to be WW1 russia, starving because there aren't any farmers. In 2013 Wind and Solar energy got about 65% (75% if you include nuclear) of all energy subsidies and made up about 4% of the power grid.

Basically, your preconceived notion is unfounded and incredibly ignorant. Maybe tune into less msnbc and thinkprogress.

:Wha:  FSD represent

@lopakman

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: December 01, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »
the theory that scientists pretty much only report that man-made climate change is taking place because of money is pretty fascinating. Like, wouldn't a scientist that can convince the scientific community that it was all a hoax be rich beyond their wildest dreams?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: December 01, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »
Globally in 2013, the most recent figures available,the coal, oil and gas industries benefited from subsidies of $550bn, four times those given to renewable energy.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/12/us-taxpayers-subsidising-worlds-biggest-fossil-fuel-companies

A 2009 study by the Environmental Law Institute[27] assessed the size and structure of U.S. energy subsidies in 2002–08. The study estimated that subsidies to fossil fuel-based sources totaled about $72 billion over this period and subsidies to renewable fuel sources totaled $29 billion. The study did not assess subsidies supporting nuclear energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_subsidies

the largest renewable subsidies go to ethanol production, not wind or solar.  on the whole, it seems like the us subsidizes fossil fuel production less than the world as a whole does, but the wikipedia entry only discusses federal subsidies, not state subsidies.  per the guardian article, state subsidies appear numerous and substantial.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: December 01, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »
Renewable energy only accounts for 13.2% of the grid in the US, so it does get a disproportional amount of federal subsidies.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: December 01, 2015, 01:50:19 PM »
Renewable energy only accounts for 13.2% of the grid in the US, so it does get a disproportional amount of federal subsidies.

Good, it should be that way
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: December 01, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »
the theory that scientists pretty much only report that man-made climate change is taking place because of money is pretty fascinating. Like, wouldn't a scientist that can convince the scientific community that it was all a hoax be rich beyond their wildest dreams?

How so?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: December 01, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »

How so?

Corporations would be lining up to sponsor further research. Maybe not rich beyond their wildest dreams, but they would likely have all the research dollars they would ever need.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: December 01, 2015, 02:17:33 PM »

Well, it's certainly a good thing that no one has gotten rich off of oil subsidies.  Pretty relieved. Keeps the convo honest.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: December 01, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »

Oil is a pretty established thing.  I mean, you don't need to stimulate the R&D of the oil market.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: December 01, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
Globally in 2013, the most recent figures available,the coal, oil and gas industries benefited from subsidies of $550bn, four times those given to renewable energy.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/12/us-taxpayers-subsidising-worlds-biggest-fossil-fuel-companies

A 2009 study by the Environmental Law Institute[27] assessed the size and structure of U.S. energy subsidies in 2002–08. The study estimated that subsidies to fossil fuel-based sources totaled about $72 billion over this period and subsidies to renewable fuel sources totaled $29 billion. The study did not assess subsidies supporting nuclear energy.

the largest renewable subsidies go to ethanol production, not wind or solar.  on the whole, it seems like the us subsidizes fossil fuel production less than the world as a whole does, but the wikipedia entry only discusses federal subsidies, not state subsidies.  per the guardian article, state subsidies appear numerous and substantial.

Both of those studies are obvsly by researchers who are obvsly trying to get rich off of Big Data subsidies.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: December 01, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »
I don't think there is enough incentive for corporations to invest huge amounts of money to disprove a hoax. They will simply pass the taxes on to consumers. The problem is the voice of the consumers is the one funding the hoax.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: December 01, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
I don't think there is enough incentive for corporations to invest huge amounts of money to disprove a hoax. They will simply pass the taxes on to consumers. The problem is the voice of the consumers is the one funding the hoax.

You think oil companies haven't funded their own studies on this? 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: December 01, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »

Oil is a pretty established thing.  I mean, you don't need to stimulate the R&D of the oil market.

Some oil subsidies fall under welfare programs to help poor people with their energy bills.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:33:27 PM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: December 01, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »

Yes, this is why they don't spend any money on lobbying, they're cool with just passing costs on to consumers.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: December 01, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »

:thumbs:
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: December 01, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »

You think oil companies haven't funded their own studies on this?

Yeah, there was one.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: December 01, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »
the only way the denier's system works is if you reject the scientific method. in fact any use of the scientific method they see as a reason to reject the main hypothesis (see Dax ranting with unethical sources about the adjustment to temp data).
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting