Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 429491 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #775 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »
no disrespect to the many other humorous posters on this board but drunk FSD and political board dax are my two favs.

Your simple little mind brings a smile to my face.

Never stop bubbles.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #776 on: May 21, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
Like British Petroleum isn't raping the public with wind energy, and Chevron doesn't buy all the green energy tax credits. How rough ridin' stupid can all of you people be?

Numerous European companies have poured billions into green energy . . . Didn't Merkel just announce that the German Gov't is pulling back?   Not cost effective and high energy rates I believe was the reason.

I would assume that most of the European companies pouring money into green energy, are actually owned by, or so heavily subsidized by the state, that they are for all intents and purposes "big government".

Germany was very aggressive in wind and solar, and they are paying a high price for that "investment". However, western Europe(sans Norway) is in a completely different position than the US, as they have very little recoverable hydrocarbon reserves. This presents a significant disadvantage to Europe economically,  which explains their motive to rid the earth of fossil fuel development.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 21, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »
I mean to say countries, not companies, but the point remains.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 21, 2014, 10:45:09 PM »
I mean to say countries, not companies, but the point remains.

It's the difference between China and Chinese corporations.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 21, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »
no disrespect to the many other humorous posters on this board but drunk FSD and political board dax are my two favs.

If you're lucky, I'll take you to feed the ducks.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: May 21, 2014, 10:49:04 PM »
FSD with a quality beemsian meltdown
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »
get a load of that dax and FSD discussion!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 21, 2014, 10:54:11 PM »
Like I said, cornucopia of low hanging fruit.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 22, 2014, 05:37:40 AM »
I don't understand most of what I read in this thread.

With regards to the topic, I think most of the models that were so heavily quoted 20 plus years ago were wrong. There were other models, but they provided nothing that would sell a magazine or newspaper, or put people's rear in seats at major fundraisers. People that think status quo is likely and acceptable just don't get that energized to go out and support that position with $.

Big Companies throw money at both parties, but not typically at two conflicting view points. NGO's existence are largely based on one directive, and that is to influence politics. "Give us some money to help us organize for our cause." For large companies, or owners of privately held companies, influencing politics might make the top 10. "Give us some money for a good or service that you want or need."

I work for a large company that has spent millions this year and last to further research for a current 'hot button' topic. My company has millions and millions budgeted to spend on this issue in the future years as well. All $ being spent on serious studies and done in collaboration with people from both sides of the political isle and all different view points on the subject matter. Meanwhile, there are daily press releases and planned protests from the other side, with absolutely no money from that side being invested in research. The other side is best described as WBCish. You can't argue with them, but they really don't do anything to make conditions better for anyone else. They just want visibility and to make their supporters feel good about themselves.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:05:14 AM by slobber »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 22, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »
I don't understand most of what I read in this thread.

With regards to the topic, I think most of the models that were so heavily quoted 20 plus years ago were wrong. There were other models, but they provided nothing that would sell a magazine or newspaper, or put people's rear in seats at major fundraisers. People that think status quo is likely and acceptable just don't get that energized to go out and support that position with $.

Big Companies throw money at both parties, but not typically at two conflicting view points. NGO's existence are largely based on one directive, and that is to influence politics. "Give us some money to help us organize for our cause." For large companies, or owners of privately held companies, influencing politics might make the top 10. "Give us some money for a good or service that you want or need."

I work for a large company that has spent millions this year and last to further research for a current 'hot button' topic. My company has millions and millions budgeted to spend on this issue in the future years as well. All $ being spent on serious studies and done in collaboration with people from both sides of the political isle and all different view points on the subject matter. Meanwhile, there are daily press releases and planned protests from the other side, with absolutely no money from that side being invested in research. The other side is best described as WBCish. You can't argue with them, but they really don't do anything to make conditions better for anyone else. They just want visibility and to make their supporters feel good about themselves.

I'm just guessing, and I didn't go looking for this, but ran across this morning:

http://boingboing.net/2014/05/21/yet-another-study-points-to-pe.html

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 22, 2014, 07:42:19 AM »
"Our goal is very clear: to impact the politics as it relates to climate in a time period that will result in policies that allow our country and the world to avoid the perils of climate change," said Chris Lehane, a Democratic strategist advising the super PAC. "In a sense, it's a race against time."

This will surely help decide the issue and provide clear solutions, right?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/22/environmentalist-super-pac-to-spend-100m-to-back-democrats-in-senate-races/?intcmp=latestnews

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 22, 2014, 07:47:25 AM »
I'm just guessing, and I didn't go looking for this, but ran across this morning:

Here are some really great thoughts from an outspoken anti-pesticide, organic gardener who has been involved with bees for the better part of his life. If anyone read the above, then they have to read this as well.
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/news-and-blogs-page/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 22, 2014, 07:50:58 AM »

Here are some really great thoughts from an outspoken anti-pesticide, organic gardener who has been involved with bees for the better part of his life. If anyone read the above, then they have to read this as well.

that guy should do his own study using those things he says.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 22, 2014, 07:58:30 AM »

He is involved. Studies have been done or are ongoing. No link (and no proven link, YET!).

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 22, 2014, 08:02:13 AM »

On second thought, here is a link that "that guy" posted in the link that I linked.
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-2-a-model-of-colony-collapse/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 22, 2014, 08:03:27 AM »
disclaimer: I have no idea if this is the topic you were referring to in your original post and I personally know nothing about it. but, you really painted the "other side" of the argument with a broad stroke of dismissal and praised the "good" side for their doing really sciency stuff and not trying to sway the results and all that. then you counter pointed a harvard study by posting a link to a blog from one guy who likes bees. If this is the issue, it's hard to read your take into it as anything other than the regurgitation of BIG PESTICIDE.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 22, 2014, 08:10:44 AM »
disclaimer: I have no idea if this is the topic you were referring to in your original post and I personally know nothing about it. but, you really painted the "other side" of the argument with a broad stroke of dismissal and praised the "good" side for their doing really sciency stuff and not trying to sway the results and all that. then you counter pointed a harvard study by posting a link to a blog from one guy who likes bees. If this is the issue, it's hard to read your take into it as anything other than the regurgitation of BIG PESTICIDE.
Well, the Harvard study is pretty lame, to be fair.

A blog can be factual, as evidenced on gE. I enjoy bees more than the average person, and for more than one reason I have a very vested interest in their survival. Also, annonimity only goes so far, so I should digress.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 22, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »
How about that climate change bs?

(I'm tapping out.)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 22, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »
I love bees. sddad has bee boxes on some of his alfalfa. I eat that stuff on the reg. and I wasn't trying to pry into your private stuff or fight about the topic. I was just guessing based on your post.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 22, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »
I love bees. sddad has bee boxes on some of his alfalfa. I eat that stuff on the reg. and I wasn't trying to pry into your private stuff or fight about the topic. I was just guessing based on your post.
Didn't take it as you trying to fight or pry. If I don't want to talk about something, then I shouldn't post it. (Which means I really must want to talk about it... but I really shouldn't.)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 22, 2014, 08:40:50 AM »
I would have guessed it was about GMO's! Which is almost at the level of anti-vacc wackos but not quite.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 22, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »
I would have guessed it was about GMO's! Which is almost at the level of anti-vacc wackos but not quite.

I knew in general what biz he worked in from previous posts.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 22, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
You pay very close attention to this blog.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 22, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
You pay very close attention to this blog.

if you want to be the best message boarder you can be you have to put in the time

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 22, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »
You pay very close attention to your blog.
fyp