Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 429333 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #525 on: January 22, 2014, 09:47:05 AM »
4th warmest year on record

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
:dance:

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 27, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
KSU Wildcats is all about getting dat pipe so we don't have tanker car fires any more.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 27, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »
KSU Wildcats is all about getting dat pipe so we don't have tanker car fires any more.

That was a natural gas pipeline that exploded. Oil pipelines don't explode on their own and are much, much safer than rail.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 27, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »

That was a natural gas pipeline that exploded. Oil pipelines don't explode on their own and are much, much safer than rail.

Seems safe to me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalamazoo_River_oil_spill

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 27, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
pipelines are more efficient than trains or anything else, so not using them is stupid.  which pipeline, train or tanker has blown up or spilled most recently is just noise.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 27, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/science/earth/threat-to-bottom-line-spurs-action-on-climate.html?_r=0

The most ridiculous, least informative article I've read in a long time.

The world is overpopulated and nothing short of forced sterilization will fix what's truly wrong.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 27, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/science/earth/threat-to-bottom-line-spurs-action-on-climate.html?_r=0

The world is overpopulated and nothing short of forced sterilization will fix what's truly wrong.

Remember when mocat calculated that everyone in the world would have room to just move to Texas? Oh, man. :lol:

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 27, 2014, 02:28:14 PM »

Remember when mocat calculated that everyone in the world would have room to just move to Texas? Oh, man. :lol:

Actually I think it was New Hampshire.   :Ugh:
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 27, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »

#teameconomist

Although many Republicans oppose the idea of a price or tax on carbon pollution, some conservative economists endorse the idea. Among them are Arthur B. Laffer, senior economic adviser to President Ronald Reagan; the Harvard economist N. Gregory Mankiw, who was economic adviser to Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign; and Douglas Holtz-Eakin, the head of the American Action Forum, a conservative think tank, and an economic adviser to the 2008 presidential campaign of Senator John McCain, the Arizona Republican.

“There’s no question that if we get substantial changes in atmospheric temperatures, as all the evidence suggests, that it’s going to contribute to sea-level rise,” Mr. Holtz-Eakin said. “There will be agriculture and economic effects — it’s inescapable.” He added, “I’d be shocked if people supported anything other than a carbon tax — that’s how economists think about it.”

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 27, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »
Haven't checked this thread in a while. Are there any scientific studies saying the global temperature isn't rising yet?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 27, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »
the world is nowhere close to over populated

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 27, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »

subjective
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #540 on: January 27, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
pipelines are more efficient than trains or anything else, so not using them is stupid.  which pipeline, train or tanker has blown up or spilled most recently is just noise.

This. I can't believe there's even a debate on the utility of pipelines compared to train, truck, etc.

Also this :

http://news.msn.com/us/more-oil-spilled-from-trains-in-2013-than-in-previous-4-decades
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 27, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »

subjective

subjective yes (i subjectively completely disagree), also objectively wrong.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 27, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
Haven't checked this thread in a while. Are there any scientific studies saying the global temperature isn't rising yet?

Yeah

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/10294082/Global-warming-No-actually-were-cooling-claim-scientists.html

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 27, 2014, 07:30:07 PM »

subjective

subjective yes (i subjectively completely disagree), also objectively wrong.

Objectively, how close are we (humans on earth) to overpopulated?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 27, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »

our ability to measure the degree of overpopulation is imprecise, but we can record and evaluate some measurements.

43% of the earth's land surface is altered by human use.
25% of the world's primary production is used my humans.

obviously, much of the earth's land mass is inhabitable and/or marginally usable for humans, and just as obviously, we already concentrate our use in the most advantageous regions.  there's a lot of slop, but it is unambiguous that we use a much greater % than 43% of the land surface's potential to support humans.

primary production is an even sloppier figure.  humans can use some production more intensively, some more efficiently, and significantly increase (or decrease) the total.  nonetheless there are physical limits on primary production and we already monopolize a substantial proportion.

although a value judgement, and hence subjective, i assume that the notion that we do not wish to limit the economic prospects of the current and future human population to a third-world lifestyle rather than one more closely resembling our own is widespread enough that we can also consider as objective the notion that we must also include the expansion of resource use by the current population as part and parcel to growth in population size.

neither of the above metrics speak to real, but difficult to measure, concepts such as climate change, ecosystem services or loss of biodiversity (resilience), all of which impose other limits on the sustainable expansion of the human population.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 27, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
thanks, sys. I appreciate your thorough answer. It would be a very interesting study to me to see, at the current global population level, what the equilibrium sustainable standard of living would be with all people being at an equal standard. Obviously 7 billion at suburban omaha levels would smoke the planet in an instant, but maybe all of us could spread out and thrive forever at rural arkansas levels? 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
thanks, sys. I appreciate your thorough answer. It would be a very interesting study to me to see, at the current global population level, what the equilibrium sustainable standard of living would be with all people being at an equal standard. Obviously 7 billion at suburban omaha levels would smoke the planet in an instant, but maybe all of us could spread out and thrive forever at rural arkansas levels?

Spreading out is not the most efficient way for us to live.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 28, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »

our ability to measure the degree of overpopulation is imprecise, but we can record and evaluate some measurements.

43% of the earth's land surface is altered by human use.
25% of the world's primary production is used my humans.

obviously, much of the earth's land mass is inhabitable and/or marginally usable for humans, and just as obviously, we already concentrate our use in the most advantageous regions.  there's a lot of slop, but it is unambiguous that we use a much greater % than 43% of the land surface's potential to support humans.

where did you get these figures?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 28, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
google.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 28, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »
Seems legit