Author Topic: First Openly Gay Athlete (in a major sport)  (Read 48919 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: First Openly Gay Athlete (in a major sport)
« Reply #250 on: May 01, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
(because I agree with Collins likely using this for major publicity. )

you think he's not really gay?
He is probably gay, but (no pun) he will probably be on a team next year for sure now.

I don't think he's more or less likely than he would otherwise. The NBA doesn't hand out roster spots for novelty.

He is much more likely. The NBA as a league has prided it self in trying to be progressive. Stern will put pressure on owners to sign him. IMO.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2013, 11:18:43 AM »
All this "hero" talk is pretty stupid if you ask me. Good for him, but a hero? Nah

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »

He is probably gay, but (no pun) he will probably be on a team next year for sure now.

I don't think he's more or less likely than he would otherwise. The NBA doesn't hand out roster spots for novelty.

He is much more likely. The NBA as a league has prided it self in trying to be progressive. Stern will put pressure on owners to sign him. IMO.

There's no way of knowing. But I do know that assuming he did this just for publicity is pretty douchey.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »

There's no way of knowing. But I do know that assuming he did this just for publicity is pretty douchey.

I agree there is no way of knowing, I also agree with you, it is douchey for thinking publicity was a reason he did it (I think there are multiple reasons why he did it), but at the same time I put myself in said douchey category.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »

assuming he did this just for publicity is pretty douchey.

More cynical than douchey

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »

I could see the Lakers signing him, the are going to suck out loud if they don't amnesty Kobe (they won't) and could use any positive pub they can get to distract from the abomination on the floor.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2013, 11:40:30 AM »
This guy is going to be rich as eff forever. Book deals, appearance fees, etc. for life.
:adios:

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »

No, but if the decision came down to him vs another 3rd string center of equal value, I bet he gets the nod.  Signing a player who is openly gay and considered by many to be a pioneer is great publicity for a team.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
This guy is going to be rich as eff forever. Book deals, appearance fees, etc. for life.

doubt it

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2013, 12:35:33 PM »

doubt it

like Andre Rison rich?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »

What would his book be about?  Other than the NBA locker room descriptos, of course. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 01, 2013, 02:07:56 PM »
there is an incredible amount of social media butthurt over the president calling him and people saying he was brave.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 01, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »
there is an incredible amount of social media butthurt over the president calling him and people saying he was brave.

"In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness" Robert Griffin III

this has to be what RGIII was talking about.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 01, 2013, 02:11:27 PM »

"In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness" Robert Griffin III

has to be

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 01, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »

No, but if the decision came down to him vs another 3rd string center of equal value, I bet he gets the nod.  Signing a player who is openly gay and considered by many to be a pioneer is great publicity for a team.

I'm not sure that the positive publicity outweighs the potential media shitstorm when one of his homophobe teammates voices his opinion on twitter. If he finds a team, it will be because he is the best option for that team on the court. No NBA team is going to waste a salary and a roster spot on this guy if they have another option that is better.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2013, 02:41:35 PM »

I'm not sure that the positive publicity outweighs the potential media shitstorm when one of his homophobe teammates voices his opinion on twitter. If he finds a team, it will be because he is the best option for that team on the court. No NBA team is going to waste a salary and a roster spot on this guy if they have another option that is better.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 01, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »

has to be
I believe that particular butthurt maybe related to this http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-council-may-push-washington-redskins-into-washington-redtails/2013/04/30/456cb72c-b1a7-11e2-bbf2-a6f9e9d79e19_story.html

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #267 on: May 01, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
Can you imagine the outrage and vitriol if this ended up being a hoax?  OMG, the left would end up making the Klan look like pacifists.

:crossfingers:

Also, lol at the michicat and Dave with RGIII comments
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: First Openly Gay Athlete (in a major sport)
« Reply #268 on: May 01, 2013, 09:34:08 PM »
Can you imagine the outrage and vitriol if this ended up being a hoax?  OMG, the left would end up making the Klan look like pacifists.

:crossfingers:

Also, lol at the michicat and Dave with RGIII comments

lol

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 01, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
I wonder who will be the first one I've heard of.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 01, 2013, 10:31:15 PM »

assuming he did this just for publicity is pretty douchey.

More cynical than douchey

No its douchey, maybe even more than that. This was the biggest decision of his life and not only does saying he was doing this for publicity trivialize what he struggled with his entire life, but its also calling him a liar. Very douchey.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 01, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »
This is a fantastic thread.

But chalk me up as someone who is asking why this is such a big deal. 

I guess I ask because for one reason or another I've been around quite a few gay people in my life.   Neighbors, co-workers, customers, friends . . . and it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Talk to those gay people about it if you want to understand why its a big deal. Human rights advancement can never be oversold.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 01, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
Is that it?

did you get educated on the bible?

:lol:

Just on certain parts, like a judgmental moral buffet. Hey pw and muffin, how are the unshorn beards and the uncut hair going? Shouldn't be itchy anymore but I'm guessing all that hair stinks, literally and figuratively, in the summer

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »
Collins doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would do something like this for personal gain, notoriety or anything of that kind. 

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 02, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
This is a fantastic thread.

But chalk me up as someone who is asking why this is such a big deal. 

I guess I ask because for one reason or another I've been around quite a few gay people in my life.   Neighbors, co-workers, customers, friends . . . and it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Talk to those gay people about it if you want to understand why its a big deal. Human rights advancement can never be oversold.

How does this advance human rights?