Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 218994 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #1050 on: May 08, 2014, 02:53:08 PM »
She signed a NLI which is binding for one full academic year (two full time semesters). It's a contract binding you to an institution. She signed the contract, K-State paid for a year of her education and for her to play basketball. Completely reasonable for K-State to not release her. She signed the agreement, end of story.

But, apparently Jay Bilas and all these other dumb asses don't think there should be any accountability on the part of the student.

You seem like you have a firm grasp on the issue.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 08, 2014, 02:55:10 PM »
she went to school for two semesters and played basketball :confused:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 08, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »
She signed a NLI which is binding for one full academic year (two full time semesters). It's a contract binding you to an institution. She signed the contract, K-State paid for a year of her education and for her to play basketball. Completely reasonable for K-State to not release her. She signed the agreement, end of story.

But, apparently Jay Bilas and all these other dumb asses don't think there should be any accountability on the part of the student.

Thanks for clearing that up, Kenny Lannou

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 08, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up, Kenny Lannou

we call him N4 here

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 08, 2014, 03:45:35 PM »

Wait, did you post this because you don't know the academic year goes from August-early May? Did you think she was going to leave last week or something? Bad look for Arch E majors and grads, yikes.

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 08, 2014, 04:05:49 PM »
MIR, or other High Crisis Manager Experts in residence,  is there any BS story Currie could concoct at this time to put out after we release her that would ameliorate some of the damage  :pray:?  Put your selves in the imaginary position of trusted adviser/mentor Godfather style of JC.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 08, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »
some tampering cat burgler was sneaking into the KSU house but KSU was on red alert and heard them coming. KSU stepped out of bed, winked at the sleeping wife like a complete stud in control of the situation, grabbed their biggest gun stashed in the night stand for this very situation, and confidently blew their own dick off.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 08, 2014, 04:09:02 PM »
MIR, or other High Crisis Manager Experts in residence,  is there any BS story Currie could concoct at this time to put out after we release her that would ameliorate some of the damage  :pray:?  Put your selves in the imaginary position of trusted adviser/mentor Godfather style of JC.

Stuff got lost in translation.  Once we got a competent translator on board instead of the dumbfuck she brought from Spain or wherever, it was all clear and of course we released her.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 08, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »

Stuff got lost in translation.  Once we got a competent translator on board instead of the dumbfuck she brought from Spain or wherever, it was all clear and of course we released her.

"Chantaje?"  We thought she was saying "chascarrillo"!  Lol, sorry!
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 08, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »

No. But really for 99.9% of the people reading these stories their concern/fury/condemnation ends about 47 seconds after they've read what has happened. My chief concern as far as our PR goes is that we made public that we have a policy of not granting releases and that can be used against us. Contrary to what some may say on here it is incredibly rare for a school to make public that they have a policy of not granting releases. It was a colossal blunder that can only be fixed by publicly announcing a change in policy. It is astounding that the policy wasn't stated that releases will be granted on a case by case basis.

For the few people that actually care about Leti if/when she gets released people like me will say good for Leti but K-State still screwed up. If she gets released it won't get anywhere near the publicity that this has, zero chance that her release will garner a follow up on Slate.   

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1060 on: May 08, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »
I feel like Debs overt sociopathy and manipulative nature has been ignored in this whole discussion. If the AD mumped up anywhere, it's not in the reactionary posture it's taken with Leti (again, wgaf), it's not firing Deb years ago, or, more appealing to me, exposing her for the sub-human she is in this whole mess.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline catz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 09, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »
When did Dax become such a conformist lemming for the K-State athletic department?  From "disassociated" to "knee jerk apologist."  Sad, really.

I see all your stuff over on the phog Beems.  You're the very definition of a ku propagandist.  You're a walking, talking, typing ku glossy brochure who touts the ku party line at every possible opportunity . . . with thousands of posts on a K-State bulletin board no less.  You're the last effing person to start referencing anybody else as an apologist.   

MIR keeps talking about the team APR score, or individual academic accolades.  All of which is completely irrelevant to this discussion.   Individual student athletes make up the APR composite.   Why should K-State potentially (Possibly, maybe) take an APR hit because one player wanted a transfer (possibly as part of a package deal) 12 minutes after the previous staff got fired?   Reasonable question. 

Why should K-State just immediately acquiesce to the transfer demands of a current player who may have been part of a tampering situation?  Yet another reasonable question.

This has nothing to do with APR!!!  :shakesfist:  :bang:

Offline catz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 09, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »

No. But really for 99.9% of the people reading these stories their concern/fury/condemnation ends about 47 seconds after they've read what has happened. My chief concern as far as our PR goes is that we made public that we have a policy of not granting releases and that can be used against us. Contrary to what some may say on here it is incredibly rare for a school to make public that they have a policy of not granting releases. It was a colossal blunder that can only be fixed by publicly announcing a change in policy. It is astounding that the policy wasn't stated that releases will be granted on a case by case basis.

For the few people that actually care about Leti if/when she gets released people like me will say good for Leti but K-State still screwed up. If she gets released it won't get anywhere near the publicity that this has, zero chance that her release will garner a follow up on Slate.

Jay will say that he got her the release and that he is a super stud student athlete advocate!  And all athletes will look at him like  :love:

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 09, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
I feel like Debs overt sociopathy and manipulative nature has been ignored in this whole discussion. If the AD mumped up anywhere, it's not in the reactionary posture it's taken with Leti (again, wgaf), it's not firing Deb years ago, or, more appealing to me, exposing her for the sub-human she is in this whole mess.

Agreed, but Currie was too busy taking care of "the sports that matter"

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 10, 2014, 12:29:14 AM »
One thing that the slate article brings up is an important element of the student athlete experience.  You have contractual situations, as ArchE_Cat described, that have certain obligations associated with them.  There are exemptions, but to fully realize those aspects requires someone with some degree of specialization.  One half of the contract (Atheletic dept.) has salary employees to meet those demands however the other is contractually obligated to not have the means to have matching representation.

I think, that the NCAA either needs to require member institutions to supply funding for some sort of player advocate service that could provide such counsel, or treat players more as at will-employees, capable of making their own decisions.  I think the latter is a would be a better use of resources, but athletic departments that treat players like property might have trouble swallowing it.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: May 10, 2014, 01:10:25 AM »

Jay will say that he got her the release and that he is a super stud student athlete advocate!  And all athletes will look at him like  :love:

Jay is all about $.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: May 10, 2014, 01:41:01 AM »

Jay is all about $.
i think if the last word in the story is "that we granted her a release" we shouldn't have any lingering problems with recruitment in other sports.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: May 10, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »
Watching the draft, the cb pierre desir from st louis was originally playing at washburn.  Washburn refused to release Pierre because he wanted to transfer to be closer to home and his daughter.  ESPN was saying something about working multiple jobs and some kind of sewer work (?)  Just thought that is was interesting that this happens in lower divisions.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: May 11, 2014, 06:27:31 PM »
Watching the draft, the cb pierre desir from st louis was originally playing at washburn.  Washburn refused to release Pierre because he wanted to transfer to be closer to home and his daughter.  ESPN was saying something about working multiple jobs and some kind of sewer work (?)  Just thought that is was interesting that this happens in lower divisions.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

That offseason ravaged the WU football team's roster. They didn't want to release their all conference defensive back, when they were losing so many key players to graduation, dropping out and prison sentences. Also, Coach Schurig, the HC who recruited him, is still coaching at WU, so it's not a very comparable situation.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: May 12, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »
Seth Davis ?@SethDavisHoops  4h
Strongly recommend this story about Kansas State's shameful treatment of a women's basketball player. http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10893110/women-college-basketball-controversy-swirls-leticia-romero-denied-transfer-kansas-state-wildcats

Seth Davis ?@SethDavisHoops  4h
John Currie is a very good AD. He needs to do the right thing and give Romero her release. Today. One of the worst rules in NCAA rule book.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: May 12, 2014, 04:37:48 PM »
Sounds like Deb and Shalee are going to Northern Colorado to join Ethridge's staff.  Doubt Romero wants to play there.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: May 12, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »
Just block Northern Colorado and release her for Christ's sake. 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: May 12, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »
Just block Northern Colorado and release her for Christ's sake.

that is what is going to happen by the end of next week.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: May 12, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »
Do we really give a crap if she goes to NORTHERN COLORADO? I mean really.

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: May 12, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »
Do we really give a crap if she goes to NORTHERN COLORADO? I mean really.

Exactly I mean if she likes those coaches well enough to follow them there than so be it.  They obviously didn't use her as leveridge to land those jobs.