Author Topic: Dog  (Read 15549 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Dog
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »
If near KC, check out Safe Harbor.  They are a rescue but have some deal(or did when I got my bassett) with the Lansing prison that has a program where certain prisoners handle/train a dog each for like 6 months before they put them up to be adopted.  They sell it as each dog is trained to do basic commands and is handled for extended periods of time rather than just sitting in a cage and getting walked a couple times a day in a pen out back.

Also, the adoption fee was like $50 and they didn't have some super nazi-like application you have to be approved through.

When we first started looking for a dog, we looked at the local KCK rescue and were turned away because I told them I had a big fully fenced back yard and that the dog wouldn't be crate trained.  How insane is that? 

Anyway, I have had labs, lab mixes, a couple dalmatians, a couple britneys, and a german shep and the basset is by far the best dog I have owned.  Very smart, very good with kids, really likes attention, really content to just hang out and/or sleep.  The one issue she has is that she is stubborn and if she is in the middle of something she likes, she will ignore our calls for a little while.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
Some of the rescue places are bat crap crazy.  Like if you're adopting a lab and tell them you're going to take it duck hunting they'll black list your ass.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 12:02:07 PM »
It sounds like a Boston Terrier is the best dog for you, _33.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
Some of the rescue places are bat crap crazy.  Like if you're adopting a lab and tell them you're going to take it duck hunting they'll black list your ass.

Exactly. 

Some really dumb ppl out there.

The shelter we went with basically took our info from me and made me sign something saying that if I ever decide I don't want the dog, I have to give it back to them rather than someone else. 

The Humane Society on the other hand would rather keep a dog than give it to someone willing to take it and give it a big back yard to play in.  I mean, what?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
It sounds like a Boston Terrier is the best dog for you, _33.

Let me preface this by saying I have only been around 5 of these before in my life.  That said, if I had to pick one dog to never ever ever ever be around again, it would be a Boston.

Horribly behaved.

The last three of the five I mentioned above are dogs I am around quite often currently.  They are nasty animals.  Constantly jumping on ppl, constantly picking fights with other animals, constantly throwing up.  I hate them, and I am a dog person. 

It's not a training issue either.  The ppl that have these three all have other breeds too that are perfectly well behaved normal animals that don't do what their Boston counterparts do.

Horrible creatures.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
Here you go, _33. This is the place to go close to you.

www.mshoogys.com

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »
Well CNS Casey, it sounds like you need to write a strongly worded letter to the "pick the best dog for you" website I used.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Well CNS Casey, it sounds like you need to write a strongly worded letter to the "pick the best dog for you" website I used.

Can you just copy/paste that post for me?  TIA.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »
I found my dog at the dumpster in Aggieville Burger King. Some lab/pit/greyhound mix. Pretty much the best dog ever, learned commands quick, nice to everyone, no barking(except for the doorbell), although it needs to run a lot.

I don't have much tips other than that, but the Burger King dumpster is 1 for 1.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
Rescued mixed breed

This is the plan, but I'd like to know what the mix is.  Do most shelters know what breeds go into the mix?

papillion/pomeranian mix is pretty fun.  Does bark, but not a ton, and is pretty smart and great attitude wise.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
It's been my experience that little dogs generally suck.  They aren't cuddley, they usually bark a lot and are often mean.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't encountered any. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
This is mine.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 12:22:32 PM »
There is a vizsla/lab mix at the local shelter.  1 year old.  I researched Viszlas and apparently they are amazing and one of the most amazing things about them is that they don't smell.  It's classified as medium sized but I'm worried it might get kind of big.  Does anyone know anything about viszlas?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 12:24:45 PM »
It looks cute, but I'm not so sure that it isn't thinking about eating your baby right there.  It has a very "Who the eff does this guy think he is?" feel to it. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »
There is a vizsla/lab mix at the local shelter.  1 year old.  I researched Viszlas and apparently they are amazing and one of the most amazing things about them is that they don't smell.  It's classified as medium sized but I'm worried it might get kind of big.  Does anyone know anything about viszlas?

I have heard they are fantastic dogs(my neighbor said he had several but doesn't have one now).  He did say that they can be a little hyper and need a lot of exercise, though.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
I dought a viszla could get to be much over 50 lbs.  Would have to be fat to do that, IMO.  But the lab could take it over 50lbs for sure.  I've been around quite a few and they make great pets.  I don't prefer them from a hunting standpoint but they are nice dogs for sure.  Would be a shame though (IMO) to own a hunting dog and not take it hunting.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Viszlas generally get to be about the same size as a weimaraners if I remember correctly (average sized bird dog).

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
What kind should I get?

BORDER COLLIE!  :D

Parameters:
Small to Medium sized CHECK
Good with kids CHECK
Likes to snuggle CHECK
Pretty short hair/not too shaggy CHECK
Not too much shedding CHECK
Not too hyper/likes to play but also likes to sleep MASSIVE FAIL
Doesn't bark much CHECK
Easily trained/Smart DOUBLE CHECK
Does not drool a lot CHECK

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 12:30:46 PM »
I dought a viszla could get to be much over 50 lbs.  Would have to be fat to do that, IMO.  But the lab could take it over 50lbs for sure.  I've been around quite a few and they make great pets.  I don't prefer them from a hunting standpoint but they are nice dogs for sure.  Would be a shame though (IMO) to own a hunting dog and not take it hunting.

Weight: 48.5 - 66 lbs.

http://puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/vizsla.htm

This website says you don't know crap.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 12:32:16 PM »
German Shorthaired Pointer

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
Doberman pinchers are pretty neat. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »

Weight: 48.5 - 66 lbs.

http://puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/vizsla.htm

This website says you don't know crap.

I've never seen a vizsla over 50 lbs and have been around a dozen or so.  Most were 40 to 50 pounds with a few under 40.  Some were litter mates, most weren't.  Granted all were in good shape as hunting dogs.  Americans generally let their dogs get pretty fat so I don't doubt the link.  I jsut don't think a healthy vizsla should ever get to be more than 50lbs.  That's two ribs showing.  YMMV.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
Get one from stud friend of goEMAW and child of emaw elite scientist, Marley's Mutts.

http://marleysmutts.com/

Or get one of those crazy huge cats that look like tigers and you can take on walks.  (savannahs)  

Member of extended family is a part owner in a business that breeds and sells these.  Crazy expensive.  Have sold quite a few to royalty from the Middle East.
@mikec2w

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »
Anyway, get a dog from a shelter.

My family has had our beagle for ~12 years now. He is great. We spent a bit of time training him, but once he was through his puppy years it has been a cake walk. Doesn't bark, very well house-trained (only accidents are when he gets sick), and he loves everyone.