Author Topic: Marcus smart staying  (Read 12459 times)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus smart staying
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »
Of all the things I care about in this world, whether or not Marcus Smart gets paid is at the very bottom of the list. I like watching elite college basketball players and I'm glad he stayed. He knows the risks he is taking by coming back better than any of us.

Apparently he doesn't.

maybe he's a kid that enjoys college?

You know what is probably really fun?  Being a millionaire pro athlete.

he can do that next year.   :dunno:

Yeah, but if both options are super fun, you take fun off the pro/con list of what is to be considered.  So what else does he gain from being in college vs what does he gain from going pro?

to have fun?  maybe he wants to win a championship?  seems awfully silly of you and MIR to chastise a kid (18?  19?) for making a decision that makes him happy.  he'll still be in the nba next year. 

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »

Are you sure?

why would it change?  do you think he will suddenly not be good next year?  he has shown already that he's a really good basketball player. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »
Of all the things I care about in this world, whether or not Marcus Smart gets paid is at the very bottom of the list. I like watching elite college basketball players and I'm glad he stayed. He knows the risks he is taking by coming back better than any of us.

Apparently he doesn't.

Maybe he just has different priorities than you.

Are you saying that it isn't his priority to play in the NBA and make tons of cash?

Obviously it's not. Did you not see the announcement that he is staying at OSU?

I refuse to believe that your sense of logic is as bad as that sentence makes you look.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »

Apparently he doesn't.

maybe he's a kid that enjoys college?

Yeah, but if both options are super fun, you take fun off the pro/con list of what is to be considered.  So what else does he gain from being in college vs what does he gain from going pro?

to have fun?  maybe he wants to win a championship?  seems awfully silly of you and MIR to chastise a kid (18?  19?) for making a decision that makes him happy.  he'll still be in the nba next year.

You need to read before ranting, I clearly laid this bad ass decision at the feet of his coach and his father figure, Phil Forte Sr., I mentioned them more than once.

Are you sure?

why would it change?  do you think he will suddenly not be good next year?  he has shown already that he's a really good basketball player. 

Again I already addressed that, are you reading the thread or just posting. He's going to lose positions and cash just by virtue of guards in high school now who scouts and GMs already view better than Smart. I would think the possibility of an injury would go without saying.

He got poor advice, its stupid to argue otherwise. Glad he is coming back for 6AM weight sessions in June and 8:30 Psychology lectures though.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »
how many people get seriously injured in college basketball every year?

by seriously injured, i mean injured to the point that they can't play basketball anymore.

injury is a non-issue.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »
I wish he would have gone pro because I don't want to have to play him twice next year.
@lopakman

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2013, 10:05:53 AM »
I am not chastising anyone. 

Am just putting myself in that sitch.  A lottery pick shouldn't care about next yr's championship.  I wouldn't.  A lottery pick should only stay in college as long as it takes to maximize your opportunity to go pro.  If Smart stays, he may not get a better opportunity for two yrs.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »
I am not chastising anyone. 

Am just putting myself in that sitch.  A lottery pick shouldn't care about next yr's championship.  I wouldn't.  A lottery pick should only stay in college as long as it takes to maximize your opportunity to go pro.  If Smart stays, he may not get a better opportunity for two yrs.

i would take the money and run, also, but i think that we forget that some people hold different values over things.  he might be enjoying the crap out of being the big man on campus.   :dunno:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
marcus smart has game and i'm glad he is spending another year in college, in the big 12.  it's pretty stupid to be upset that he's staying, fwiw.  so shut up on that point.

In what way? I'm not glad he's staying because he should be getting paid for what he does and Travis Ford should stop being so damn selfish and Coach Cal this kid. It is ridiculous that anyone would do anything but tell him he has to go when he is a guaranteed top 10 pick. Next years draft is projecting as one of the best in recent memory and that was with Smart leaving in this year's garbage draft.

i'm a college basketball fan, why should i be upset that one of the best players in the game has decided that he's going to continue to play it, and that i'll get to watch him, a lot?

why should i be upset that some kid i've never met won't be made a multimillionaire over night and won't be appearing in an episode of next season's Entourage?

should i be worried he might hurt his draft stock and that some other kid i've never met could possibly take a portion of smart's millions, next year?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
I'm sure Smart weighed the decision well and got good advice. He just decided that another year playing in college with a long time friend was worth it. Good for him.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »
But Travis Ford is still our coach.
Please continue to keep him as your coach

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

I'll give Ford and his staff a lot of credit for making Smart and Forte buy the message that they were "being recruited separately". And if he can manage to recruit a player like that every few years he'll be there a while.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »
I like Ford's 2013 class and I would trade Weber for him in a heartbeat.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »

I'll give Ford and his staff a lot of credit for making Smart and Forte buy the message that they were "being recruited separately". And if he can manage to recruit a player like that every few years he'll be there a while.

Kids like smart never come around, he is like the anti Ford player.  Ford players never do the small things and have great attitudes. 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »

In what way? I'm not glad he's staying because he should be getting paid for what he does and Travis Ford should stop being so damn selfish and Coach Cal this kid. It is ridiculous that anyone would do anything but tell him he has to go when he is a guaranteed top 10 pick. Next years draft is projecting as one of the best in recent memory and that was with Smart leaving in this year's garbage draft.
With the greater disparity in the value of rookie contracts to 2nd contracts, I wonder if a player like Smart wouldn't benefit in the long run to be a mid round pick and play with a better team than to go in the top 10 to somebody like the Bobcats, Kings or Suns ( :frown:).  Finding your role on a more talented team with good players that can make you look better might be the way to a bigger 2nd contract.

Obviously, the elite guys that can dominate from day 1 like Melo or Kyrie Irving it hasn't mattered but it may benefit the tweeners and guys that need work (like Smart does on his shooting) to do it without the pressure of franchise savior on some of these poorly run franchises that need multiple saviors.

If you think this is some half baked theory of a Mike Beasley fanboi that is trying to explain away him not living up to being the 2nd overall pick you would be correct.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
Got to get to the 2nd contact first, smarts seems like a player that could flop.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
“I talked to Mike Beasley,” Pullen said to the paper. “The two weeks right before the draft deadline, Mike spent out in Kansas.  We talked and he said if he could re-do everything, he’d have stayed all four years.

“He said to think about it and not just worry about the money.  Think about the experiences you want to be part of, because once you make that decision it’s your life.  It’s a job.  It’s not fun anymore.”

http://dimemag.com/2010/06/michael-beasley-says-nba-not-nfl-is-no-fun-league/

Plus Smart is playing on a team with his best friend & he'll never get that chance again.

Glad he's sticking around for the Big 12.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »
“I talked to Mike Beasley,” Pullen said to the paper. “The two weeks right before the draft deadline, Mike spent out in Kansas.  We talked and he said if he could re-do everything, he’d have stayed all four years.

“He said to think about it and not just worry about the money.  Think about the experiences you want to be part of, because once you make that decision it’s your life.  It’s a job.  It’s not fun anymore.”

http://dimemag.com/2010/06/michael-beasley-says-nba-not-nfl-is-no-fun-league/

Plus Smart is playing on a team with his best friend & he'll never get that chance again.

Glad he's sticking around for the Big 12.

Different players/ppl.  I think Mike expected to be Jordan and was disappointed.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »
nash staying, too.  osu should be very good next year.   :curse:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »
Markel Brown staying too.

FORD!  :shakesfist:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »
Rings!!!!!

Offline sekpoke

• Cow Poke'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »
nash staying, too.  osu should be very good next year.   :curse:

Brown staying is much bigger to me than Nash. Nash is pretty hot and cold. We should be good. Time will tell.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »
marcus smart has game and i'm glad he is spending another year in college, in the big 12.  it's pretty stupid to be upset that he's staying, fwiw.  so shut up on that point.

i'm a college basketball fan, why should i be upset that one of the best players in the game has decided that he's going to continue to play it, and that i'll get to watch him, a lot?

why should i be upset that some kid i've never met won't be made a multimillionaire over night and won't be appearing in an episode of next season's Entourage?

should i be worried he might hurt his draft stock and that some other kid i've never met could possibly take a portion of smart's millions, next year?

Feel how you want, I'm not telling anyone how they should feel. All I said is that his father and his coach didn't help him make the best long-term decision for Marcus. I'm not worried either, just observing.

For the record, I appreciate his talent but I don't like watching him play. I hate floppers with every fiber of my being.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »
injury is a non-issue.

hypocrite

did i say something different before?

listen, dude, this is the internet, and i change my mind up three times a day.   :emawkid: