Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 333251 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #4425 on: July 27, 2023, 08:47:47 AM »
Pronounced “Tweet, tweet, tweet”.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: July 27, 2023, 09:25:21 AM »
 :D

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: July 28, 2023, 08:21:50 AM »
So what's your lottery strategy? Say like 300m. I feel like the main thing I would need is cash management and tax advice. I could maybe even cover cash management. Would I even really care that much about taxes with that much money? I guess most rich people do. The thought of paying people 1-3% or more annually of that much money and to not beat the market sounds awful, but you prob almost have to at that level.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: July 28, 2023, 08:44:23 AM »
I’d probably start with a trusts and estates attorney to deal with tax/security issues.

If I had $300m I’d put like $50 million into Vanguard or maybe even a robo investor and use just those gains & dividends for my daily expenses (general rule is it should reliably get you about $2 million/year in perpetuity).

The rest I’d split between a charitable trust to donate to crap, trusts for the kids, and probably the biggest bucket (maybe $100m-$150m) for potential big expenses or business ventures. I’d have someone help me with that last bucket but probably not the others outside of setting it up.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: July 28, 2023, 09:01:01 AM »
I’d probably start with a trusts and estates attorney to deal with tax/security issues.

If I had $300m I’d put like $50 million into Vanguard or maybe even a robo investor and use just those gains & dividends for my daily expenses (general rule is it should reliably get you about $2 million/year in perpetuity).

The rest I’d split between a charitable trust to donate to crap, trusts for the kids, and probably the biggest bucket (maybe $100m-$150m) for potential big expenses or business ventures. I’d have someone help me with that last bucket but probably not the others outside of setting it up.

This is where I am. I left out the trust part because that would be obvious. I would def open up several accounts to split the investments. They would all be various index funds but at different brokers. I guess I would prob also buy treasuries direct. A big chunk would be charities and that would prob be my favorite thing. Deciding where the annual dividends or earnings on those accounts and delivering the check would be fun. I'd prob do that anonymous though, but the process would be fun.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: July 28, 2023, 10:38:58 AM »
prolly the traditional 80% in land, 20% in cows.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: July 28, 2023, 11:07:28 AM »
100% NIL

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: July 28, 2023, 11:40:52 AM »
So what's your lottery strategy? Say like 300m. I feel like the main thing I would need is cash management and tax advice. I could maybe even cover cash management. Would I even really care that much about taxes with that much money? I guess most rich people do. The thought of paying people 1-3% or more annually of that much money and to not beat the market sounds awful, but you prob almost have to at that level.

I'd buy Twitter and turn it into a $44 billion company.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: July 28, 2023, 05:54:23 PM »
I would probably start paying for sex
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: July 28, 2023, 06:29:53 PM »
prolly the traditional 80% in land, 20% in cows.
There is one thing they aren't making more of....land.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: August 03, 2023, 08:02:04 AM »
can't remember if we've discussed the changes to 529s or not but the new rule about being able to roll them into an IRA for your kid if they don't use it for school or approved school adjace stuff is pretty damn nice. other than I worry lil sd will get wise to it and be like "rough ridin' jackpot, I'm not going to college (does a burnout in his car)"

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: August 03, 2023, 08:16:21 AM »
can't remember if we've discussed the changes to 529s or not but the new rule about being able to roll them into an IRA for your kid if they don't use it for school or approved school adjace stuff is pretty damn nice. other than I worry lil sd will get wise to it and be like "rough ridin' jackpot, I'm not going to college (does a burnout in his car)"

Saw this. Great deal, but if Lil SF says eff it, no college, SF is moving to the beach.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: August 03, 2023, 08:35:06 AM »
Literally will buy a challenger and burnout. I don’t think not telling him will be that hard.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: August 03, 2023, 12:52:37 PM »

Post the rule, COWARD

This sounds like a rule tailor-made for my daily struggle of wanting to take full advantage of compounding while being increasingly convinced my boy is not college material.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: August 03, 2023, 12:57:04 PM »
Rather than wait around I did my own research and it looks like there will be a lifetime limit of $35k, which is not the kind of retirement I had in mind.

Edit: Per the Journal of Accountancy.com:

*The lifetime maximum a 529 beneficiary can transfer under the rule is $35,000;
*The 529 account must have existed for at least 15 years;
*No contributions or earnings on contributions from the last five years can be transferred;
*The transfers are subject to annual Roth IRA contribution limits (but there is no upper income constraint).

How am I supposed to exploit a law like that? LAME
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 01:02:13 PM by catastrophe »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4440 on: August 03, 2023, 01:08:30 PM »
Rather than wait around I did my own research and it looks like there will be a lifetime limit of $35k, which is not the kind of retirement I had in mind.

Edit: Per the Journal of Accountancy.com:

*The lifetime maximum a 529 beneficiary can transfer under the rule is $35,000;
*The 529 account must have existed for at least 15 years;
*No contributions or earnings on contributions from the last five years can be transferred;
*The transfers are subject to annual Roth IRA contribution limits (but there is no upper income constraint).

How am I supposed to exploit a law like that? LAME

Sounds like you made the mistake of not being born filthy rich. Couldn't be me!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: August 03, 2023, 09:41:25 PM »
what's the rule on starting one of these 529s, finding out 18 years later that you don't have kid and then rolling it into your own ira?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: August 03, 2023, 09:46:31 PM »
The kid turned out to be not yours, or the kid never existed in the first place?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: August 03, 2023, 09:54:49 PM »
i'm open to either.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: August 03, 2023, 09:58:01 PM »
what's the rule on starting one of these 529s, finding out 18 years later that you don't have kid and then rolling it into your own ira?

I assume you can just handle it like the old columbia house music club bills and write "DECEASED" across the front of the invoice real big and send it back and be home free.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: August 03, 2023, 10:01:00 PM »
You can transfer the funds to another child's 529 tax free.  Just keep having a new kid every 17 years
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: August 03, 2023, 10:02:42 PM »
You can transfer the funds to another child's 529 tax free.  Just keep having a new kid every 17 years

"kid"

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: August 03, 2023, 10:11:09 PM »
1. The $35k lifetime limit

2. You are still limited in how much you can contribute to the IRA depending on how much you make annually. Get that pretend kid a pretend job and you’re probably ok.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: December 25, 2023, 11:44:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/FortuneMagazine/status/1736312242562294260
Looks like those genX'ers should have watched less MTV and put more into retirement instead of spending all their money on Compact Discs.