Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327183 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3575 on: February 25, 2021, 08:37:53 PM »
the 10 year is maybe the best indicator of investor confidence. high and confidence is low. low and confidence is high. it's the safest investment out there because it's backed by the gov.

Long and only a part I know about a lot: the S&P has a yield of like 1.48%. big money holders who need that yield put it wherever it's safest and biggest. like insurance carriers don't normally try to make giant money off you paying your insurance and them paying you back less than that amount. they try to make a little bit there after expenses but not a ton because they wouldn't be able to sell insurance. they basically plan for that to equal out and them to have yield on the money of yours they hold. and banks hold a ton of money. checking accounts, savings accounts, CDs, any number of other things. they want that yield too because they make money on that. these giant holders aren't buying PLTR and ARK funds and crap. they need essentially guaranteed returns. when treasuries cross over what the S&P is returning that now is a huge incentive to take that safe money v. the roller coaster ride the S&P has been.

inflation is a reason treasuries would rise but has less to do with equities falling. the equity market is arguably a good place to be in a high inflation environment.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: February 25, 2021, 08:41:36 PM »
and, if your savings account return has dropped to zero and your insurance premium has risen dramatically thank treasuries for being dogshit for like the last decade.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: February 26, 2021, 11:34:04 AM »
The $GME stuff is just woof city.  I was up over $1000 yesterday early and then tried to chase it up.  By the end of the day I was down over $1000.  Rode the wave up this morning hoping it would go higher and sold out in the mid $130 range.  Good thing I sold and made back some money.

All in all I lost about $200 and sticking to my super save Bitcoin investments now.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: March 02, 2021, 10:56:41 AM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: March 02, 2021, 11:36:45 AM »
What is the expense ratio is probably the biggest question. Otherwise I like the idea.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: March 02, 2021, 01:04:44 PM »
Is buying a vacation home in the mountains a good investment? Asking for a friend.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: March 02, 2021, 01:07:35 PM »
It's an investment in gaining new friends. Anyway Wassup Fedor we should be friends.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: March 02, 2021, 02:12:21 PM »
Is buying a vacation home in the mountains a good investment? Asking for a friend.

I'm likely going to pull the trigger on this soon.  My wife and I plan to rent out all winter and go and hang with friends/work from home there in the summer which is our ideal mountain season anyways. 

It would probably take a lot of mountain trips to be worth it without rental income.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: March 02, 2021, 02:21:20 PM »
Buy the top of the market is what katkid always tells me. So go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: March 02, 2021, 02:29:43 PM »
Buy the top of the market is what katkid always tells me. So go for it!

I'm loading up on debt as an inflation hedge, at least that is what I am telling myself.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: March 02, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »
I like your style

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: March 02, 2021, 02:44:24 PM »

I'm likely going to pull the trigger on this soon.  My wife and I plan to rent out all winter and go and hang with friends/work from home there in the summer which is our ideal mountain season anyways. 

It would probably take a lot of mountain trips to be worth it without rental income.
I always feel dumb when I have a desire/idea this unoriginal but yes I am in the same boat. Rent it during ski season at hopefully enough to cover expenses (but if not, nbd). Use it as a summer home and maybe one week for skiing.

I’m sure it’s a terrible bang for your buck, but it sounds fun AF, which needs to be part of the equation for any investment imho.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: March 02, 2021, 02:46:43 PM »

I always feel dumb when I have a desire/idea this unoriginal but yes I am in the same boat. Rent it during ski season at hopefully enough to cover expenses (but if not, nbd). Use it as a summer home and maybe one week for skiing.

I’m sure it’s a terrible bang for your buck, but it sounds fun AF, which needs to be part of the equation for any investment imho.

As an unbiased observer, I think you should ABSOLUTELY do this. Please report back.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: March 02, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »
Will report back in 3-5 years :thumbs:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: March 02, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »
Will report back in 3-5 years :thumbs:

No. Do it today or tomorrow, please.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: March 02, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »

There is money to be made doing this in the right markets.  The biggest problem keeping some people from being profitable is that they try to use it every long weekend/holiday and miss out on peak rental times or constantly hook people up instead of getting revenue-producing guests.  Property management companies can charge 40% of revenue which can kill profit but it's easy enough to do without them nowadays with technology upgrades.  A free account at Airdna.co has some rough estimates for income to familiarize yourself with a market.

I have a friend who is doing pretty well in Pigeon Forge with one and we might partner at some point with multiple properties.  I like the mountains because we could get more reliable year-round cash flow between there and summer markets.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: March 02, 2021, 03:05:26 PM »
Rocket getting some of the $GME love today. Time to follow this one into the red tomorrow :driving:

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: March 02, 2021, 03:29:53 PM »

There is money to be made doing this in the right markets.  The biggest problem keeping some people from being profitable is that they try to use it every long weekend/holiday and miss out on peak rental times or constantly hook people up instead of getting revenue-producing guests.  Property management companies can charge 40% of revenue which can kill profit but it's easy enough to do without them nowadays with technology upgrades.  A free account at Airdna.co has some rough estimates for income to familiarize yourself with a market.

I have a friend who is doing pretty well in Pigeon Forge with one and we might partner at some point with multiple properties.  I like the mountains because we could get more reliable year-round cash flow between there and summer markets.
There a real estate investing thread you guys!  :shakesfist:
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: March 03, 2021, 09:45:13 PM »
Should I buy $PLTR first thing tomorrow morning?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: March 03, 2021, 10:12:23 PM »

yes

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: March 03, 2021, 10:13:59 PM »

yes

^^fiduciary advice, folks.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: March 03, 2021, 10:44:04 PM »
LOL

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: March 04, 2021, 07:46:24 AM »