Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 333467 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3225 on: January 27, 2021, 10:18:55 PM »
I also think characterizing it as teetering on the verge of filing for bankruptcy is not really accurate.

i agree with that.  i don't think they are going to go bankrupt in 2021.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: January 28, 2021, 06:38:46 AM »
when this unwinds, i think it's going to do so very fast.  which is probably good for the longs, maybe they'll be able to get out with something.

https://twitter.com/LDrogen/status/1354768591250481155
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: January 28, 2021, 06:46:21 AM »
It's a day trader's wet dream right now. Load up. Cash out initial investment. Keep letting it ride up and cash out profit daily.

:)

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: January 28, 2021, 07:26:47 AM »
“It makes you feel vulnerable,” Mr. Left, 50, founder of Citron Research, said in an interview. “We live in a world where we’re all exposed and people don’t understand boundaries.”

I feel sorry for your family but not you...........

Citron Research’s Andrew Left wrote in a Tuesday post on Twitter that he plans to host a livestream discussing five reasons those buying GameStop (ticker: GME) stock at recent levels “are the suckers at this poker game.”

“Stock back to $20 fast,” he wrote. “We understand short interest better than you and will explain.”

Had a large short interest at this time.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3230 on: January 28, 2021, 07:34:17 AM »
Oh my. Y'all getting dragged today if you're still in the game.

https://twitter.com/RampCapitalLLC/status/1354780260924063746

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: January 28, 2021, 07:39:33 AM »
You aren’t going to believe this but that’s not the only trading platform
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3232 on: January 28, 2021, 07:41:58 AM »
I had no idea.  :Wha:

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: January 28, 2021, 07:47:11 AM »
Can someone explain to me why short selling provides any valuable service to a market?  With put options readily available, why should shorts be allowed to exist?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: January 28, 2021, 07:50:53 AM »
Can someone explain to me why short selling provides any valuable service to a market?  With put options readily available, why should shorts be allowed to exist?

Why does gambling? Or anything else that is basically passive income that is the stock market. Kind of the natural result of the way it works (right now) iyam.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: January 28, 2021, 07:59:02 AM »
i can't access the article here, but i suspect that the thesis expressed in these tweets is correct.  most of the paper gains will not be realized and those that are realized will mostly not have been funded by losses from the funds that were originally shorting the stock.

Yes, some hedge funds lost money, and a lot of retail investors are up, for now. But they can't access those gains until they sell. When they sell, the price of GameStop will fall, and the retail investors who bought late will lose money because there's no fundamental reason for other people to buy in at such a high price.

And why should we assume the net losses on this price roller coaster will accrue to institutional investors? Some shorts got popped with the run-up in GameStop, but a fading, money-losing business with a sudden market cap over $20 billion for no good reason is surely attractive to new short sellers, who will gain as the new retail buyers lose.

If GameStop is overvalued by $20 billion right now, that's $20 billion of losses waiting to accrue, largely to ordinary investors who got caught up in a fad. And while some of the traders have gotten cheered for buying at the top by their internet friends, this is far from a desirable democratization of Wall Street — this is just a new way for regular people to lose their shirts.

I think the difference here is this feeling of "regular" people being able to manipulate the stock vs the real or perceived manipulation of the "forces of wall street" like a hedge fund.

It will definitely blow up in the face of a lot of people, but it will also make some people silly stupid rich. This is basically 2020's version of yuppies. They'll learn their lessons eventually, but I do find it really funny to see the panic and glee of everything going on. What will break it is when they do decide to sell out and those who are too slow on their apps end up selling the stock for a loss and get bitter at those who made said killing and leave the game.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: January 28, 2021, 08:20:50 AM »

I don't know the answer to the question but I'm a put option man myself when I do dabble.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: January 28, 2021, 08:24:49 AM »
Grudge/revenge has played into this also.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: January 28, 2021, 08:27:07 AM »

Why does gambling? Or anything else that is basically passive income that is the stock market. Kind of the natural result of the way it works (right now) iyam.
Gambling is illegal in many places and most passive income from the market is basically like a return from a business loan.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: January 28, 2021, 08:47:02 AM »

Gambling is illegal in many places and most passive income from the market is basically like a return from a business loan.

I don't disagree with the premises of any of that, just this goes back to where value comes from, and while I play the boring long con of the market like most low info guys, to me true value comes from the labor and work put into something. So to answer pete's question about what value short selling provides, the answer is none, same with any form of gambling, which shorting in a lot of ways is. I'm not debating whether it should be legal or not, just any of this stuff is not value driven growth or wealth (very obviously), but it sure as crap happens all over the place, not just these robinhooders.

The original premise of a stock market, where people own shares in a company to help infuse it with extra capital to go and grow and then they pay you, the owner for pushing money into them, a dividend or you sell at a higher price, of course it passive income like a loan, you did after all "loan" them money to go build their business and you aren't doing the work, they are. I am just saying you aren't providing value, the business, who does the work is, and the stock market simply at this point has been perverted so much it doesn't reflect what true value is, (see Tesla)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3240 on: January 28, 2021, 09:12:53 AM »
Isn't the real lesson here that the big guys don't like it when you mess with their profit machines and they will shut you down.  The government will help.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: January 28, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »
Yes that is precisely the lesson
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: January 28, 2021, 09:49:35 AM »
Isn't the real lesson here that the big guys don't like it when you mess with their profit machines and they will shut you down.  The government will help.

This is the lesson I am taking away from all of this.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: January 28, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
Who is shutting down who and who is benefitting from it?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 28, 2021, 10:19:12 AM »
Spoke to my brother who apparently is in for a few grand at an avg price of $277/each. He seems content to basically lose it all to stick it to the man. So, there's part of your answer.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: January 28, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #3246 on: January 28, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »
Seems like most of the brokerages doing the same? Merrill, for example:

Game Stop (GME) and AMC Entertainment Holdings (AMC) are now blocked for opening transactions

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: January 28, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »
Spoke to my brother who apparently is in for a few grand at an avg price of $277/each. He seems content to basically lose it all to stick it to the man. So, there's part of your answer.

I'm not sure how taking a loss would be sticking it to the man.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: January 28, 2021, 10:53:51 AM »
Maybe someone can provide a “shorting for dummies” to make sure we’re all on the same page.

Cause I fundamentally don’t understand how the big guys can be actively hurt by a stock being up over the course of a week.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: January 28, 2021, 10:55:54 AM »
Maybe someone can provide a “shorting for dummies” to make sure we’re all on the same page.

Cause I fundamentally don’t understand how the big guys can be actively hurt by a stock being up over the course of a week.

This helped me a lot. It's one of those things that when I read about it's understandable but I can never retain the knowledge.

https://twitter.com/_jimmykelly/status/1354600999835607041?s=19
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite