Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 333355 times)

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Cocaine is a helluva drug
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1300 on: May 18, 2016, 04:13:58 PM »
If I just send you $100,000, how quickly will you turn it into a million, after your cut?

3 months (provided I can find other "investors" to fund your returns). 

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: May 18, 2016, 04:15:39 PM »
If I just send you $100,000, how quickly will you turn it into a million, after your cut?

3 months (provided I can find other "investors" to fund your returns).
:Woohoo: :Woohoo:   wait.......
 :bang: :lynchmob:(but like a pyramid and not lynchmob)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 18, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
The market always takes a dip when they announce rate hikes. I'm not quite sure why, though.

Interest rate sensitive securities drive that.

For example, let's look at a perpetual preferred 6% ($100 par) share.  The theoretical value is the dividend divided by your discount rate.  Given that a preferred isn't a riskless security like a Treasury, we need to add a spread to the risk free rate.  So the 10 Year US Treasury currently yields 1.85%.  Let's add an arbitrary 300 basis point spread for a risk premium.  So 6/0.0485=$123.71 (theoretical value, not what it is actually trading at).  Now, let's imagine that the Fed hikes rates by 1% and the 10 year goes to 2.85%.  Keeping the same spread, that preferred's theoretical value is now 6/0.0585=$102.56.

REITs, preferreds, some dividend payers are extremely sensitive to interest rate changes.

Fixed income buyers also get hit as yields and prices are inversely related.

this is nardfrog in damage control mode

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:32 PM »

Hardly, volatility is good.  It allows you to buy things "on sale".

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 18, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »
invest 10-15% of your salary every year and no more. if you have leftover money, do not invest it but instead immediately spend it on life experience types of things and not things like super nice cars and new couches.

Gets delivered on Monday  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: May 18, 2016, 04:23:35 PM »
I don't have the knowledge to invest wisely in the stock market. I'm just getting into real estate investment. Under contract right now as a matter of fact, so hopefully all goes well. If my numbers are correct, my ROI will be better than anything else I can do.

Plus, for now it's the only way I know how to make other people's money work for me.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 18, 2016, 05:45:03 PM »
You are nervous about the market, but you are currently purchasing real estate with other investors' money?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 18, 2016, 06:06:02 PM »
In a real estate bubble too :frown:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 18, 2016, 06:30:55 PM »
You are nervous about the market, but you are currently purchasing real estate with other investors' money?
I didn't say nervous about the market, I said I don't know enough about it to get the returns I want.

I have a much better idea of what to look for in real estate.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 18, 2016, 06:34:22 PM »
In a real estate bubble too :frown:
There's speculation that agrees with you, but real estate is often local. And if the property cash flows, what is the concern if the value drops? The only concern then is if jobs are leaving the area, thus reducing renters. Flippers can get burned in a fast crash though.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 18, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
I didn't say nervous about the market, I said I don't know enough about it to get the returns I want.

That's probably fair, I guess I'm just thinking your venture actually sounds way more complex. If you just buy a few good ETFs on Vanguard that generally track the market, then you can  just sit back and expect it to grow somewhere around 7% annually.

If you're talking about learning to pick stocks , though, then at best you probably have about as good of odds as you'd get at the craps tables.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 18, 2016, 07:00:42 PM »

That's probably fair, I guess I'm just thinking your venture actually sounds way more complex. If you just buy a few good ETFs on Vanguard that generally track the market, then you can  just sit back and expect it to grow somewhere around 7% annually.

If you're talking about learning to pick stocks , though, then at best you probably have about as good of odds as you'd get at the craps tables.
Keep in mind I've been casually reading about real estate for several years and more recently reading more extensively. I have a very detailed analysis I've built and I expect over 20% ROI (based upon my down payment) on the property I'm in the process of buying. I could let a property manager take care of it and get 15%.

Properties like that aren't available everywhere all the time, but they are there. Some better than that. But to me, that's far more enticing than what the stock market can offer, particularly since I neglected equity entirely.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 18, 2016, 07:03:49 PM »
I should also mention that the tax benefits on real estate are sick. Essentially I will pay almost nothing on my profits. If my projections are accurate of course. If I'm paying taxes on it, then I'm doing better than I expect

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 18, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »
I should also mention that the tax benefits on real estate are sick. Essentially I will pay almost nothing on my profits. If my projections are accurate of course. If I'm paying taxes on it, then I'm doing better than I expect

can you explain this?  I thought you paid capital gains on investment properties, but I know almost nothing about tax law.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 18, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »

Hardly, volatility is good.  It allows you to buy things "on sale".

I meant damage control from the whole smashing thing.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 18, 2016, 07:19:15 PM »

can you explain this?  I thought you paid capital gains on investment properties, but I know almost nothing about tax law.
You pay capital gains on the sale. Unless you do a 1031 exchange, but that's another story.

If you have a rental, you get to deduct depreciation, expenses, and mortgage interest. Even though it will most likely appreciate over the long term. Depreciation on non commercial property is the nice round number of 1/27.5 of the property. I can't say for certain if that is purchase cost or appraised cost, but it's substantial either way,

In the end, the cash flow you have is usually offset by the deductions, thus very low (if any) taxes on the profits.

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 19, 2016, 09:14:50 AM »

I meant damage control from the whole smashing thing.

No.  I might have some updates for that thread after this weekend tho.

The Big Train

« Reply #1317 on: June 15, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »
Bitcoin is down $33 today and falling fast, get out those pocket books guys :Woot:

Exchange rate when I posted this was 1 Bitcoin = $408.

Right now it's 1 Bitcoin = $729.   :kstategrad:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 16, 2016, 12:36:27 AM »
I've read quite a bit about bitcoin, and it still makes absolutely no sense to me.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 16, 2016, 06:37:32 AM »
I've read quite a bit about bitcoin, and it still makes absolutely no sense to me.
It has value because people say it has value. Exact same thing as the American dollar. That's the bottom line

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 16, 2016, 09:50:34 AM »
It has value because people say it has value. Exact same thing as the American dollar. That's the bottom line

Yea, but the American dollar is backed by a government worth Trillions and Trillions. That seems a significant difference to me.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 16, 2016, 09:54:47 AM »
I'd like some advice on saving/investing a little more money compared to paying more towards my mortgage.
We currently do both of these things but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to put more $ towards one or the other.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 16, 2016, 10:01:43 AM »
What's your interest rate? 

What's your effective tax rate?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 16, 2016, 10:09:40 AM »

3.5% and I think 25%

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 16, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »

3.5% and I think 25%

We're in the highest tax bracket and I still think we only paid like ~12% effective tax rate.  You should max out your 401k contribution first ($18k/yr I think).  That should, IMO, be you and your wife's first priority.  At 3.5% you will always have a better idea than paying down your house.  Good job on that interest rate, BTW.   :cheers:  Probably max out 401k's, then max out a Roth IRA after that (no tax benefits today though), then really it's kinda no man's land and you could play the stock market if you're risk averse or pay down the house or buy a rental property or something.