Author Topic: Another Round Of Applause For Kansas  (Read 64499 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Another Round Of Applause For Kansas
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »
:bawl: It's not fair!

"I didn't have a problem with taxpayers subsidizing my tuition but I've already graduated so eff everyone who didn't go to college when I did"

I also went to school when the higher education tuition bubble was less inflated than it is today, and back when most graduates could still land a decent job. :grin:

But seriously, you ought to tell the BoR that instead of passing on the cost to you, maybe the university ought to shut down some of its more worthless departments.

LoL.  Is this more liberal arts butthurt or so you have a reason?  We could start by noting the building was built with private donations.

What building? I don't know about "butthurt", seems like these are pretty worthless departments that could save some money.

It is the biggest minor on campus, it has its building construction and maintenance completely paid for by outside sources and it only has like 3 tenure track positions.  It is a net revenue generator.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:32 AM »
Didn't Wefald have a degree in something like Feudal Japanese History?
When I toured K-State as a hs senior i met with Weefer and he made me read his ~30ish page paper over Custer's Last Stand.

I was a history major fwiw.  Probably would have been better served with a hard science degree, but majoring in history (and posting on gE) helped me get used to writing, which has served me well so far.

Where can I read this paper?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »
When I toured K-State as a hs senior i met with Weefer and he made me read his ~30ish page paper over Custer's Last Stand.

I was a history major fwiw.  Probably would have been better served with a hard science degree, but majoring in history (and posting on gE) helped me get used to writing, which has served me well so far.

I think I have a copy in my mom's basement (next to my bed).  Will check.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »
:users:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
Hi Guise,

Kansas has been phasing out its funding of higher education for like 4 decades.  Welcome to the party, cluemasters. 

K-State is losing $6 million out of its $700 million operating budget.  Calm down. 

#thankssam
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
I guess I might as well put this here:

The KBOR asked for plans from all of the administrators from KBOR universities in response to the budget cuts.  Kansas State's was the only one rejected because Shultz was the only administrator who was going to continue to freeze faculty salaries and not budget a 2% bump in '14 like every other school.  The KBOR was signing off on these plans, because K-State and every other school was asking permission for tuition increases. 

As stated previously, the faculty is pretty pissed at Kirk.  I don't think they are vote of no confidence pissed, but between 2025, the growth of administrative staff and salary without faculty retention efforts I think Kirk is hunting for a new landing spot.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Another Round Of Applause For Kansas
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
Kansas would have just been better off eliminating the state income tax altogether, and increasing sales taxes on things like booze and cigarettes..  A regressive tax system just squeezes the lower and middle class, and it cuts funding for a lot of basic things like infrastructure and education.

Sales taxes only would really squeeze the middle and lower class and anyone else that spends most or all of their income already.

Yeah, I'm not talking about the state sales tax (which I'm pretty sure Kansas increased).  I'm talking about implementing a double externality tax which creates a disincentive for something harmful (in this case smoking/drinking) and also creates a long-term benefit for society (less smokers/alcoholics/DUI's/etc).  We already have federal taxes on things like cigarettes, but states can impose them as well.  I've always said that if Kansas really wanted to attract business and become a truly conservative state, it should just get rid of the state income tax altogether.  Washington state is a good example... they don't have a state income tax, but they tax the crap out of things like alcohol and tobacco (and they'll be taxing marijuana pretty soon too).

Freedom hater

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »

Actually it's in my room.

At my mom's house.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »

Actually it's in my room.

At my mom's house.

Please bring as auction item. 

T-Y

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
actually i definitely will if i can find it on friday night.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
Guys, the BOE voted yesterday that evolution should be included in the science curriculum in KS.  Given their past stance, it seems that the gE PI'ing we have been giving the state is starting to work.

'grats, gE.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »

I can't be there on Friday so I'll just enter a big of $10 right here.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »

The KBOR asked for plans from all of the administrators from KBOR universities in response to the budget cuts.  Kansas State's was the only one rejected because Shultz was the only administrator who was going to continue to freeze faculty salaries and not budget a 2% bump in '14 like every other school.  The KBOR was signing off on these plans, because K-State and every other school was asking permission for tuition increases. 

As stated previously, the faculty is pretty pissed at Kirk.  I don't think they are vote of no confidence pissed, but between 2025, the growth of administrative staff and salary without faculty retention efforts I think Kirk is hunting for a new landing spot.

So who is more pissed, the underlings that actually do work, or the 100 plus profs who are making $150K plus a year?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »

So who is more pissed, the underlings that actually do work, or the 100 plus profs who are making $150K plus a year?

Are you implying that university professors don't do real work?  Could you butthurt conservatives just provide a list of all the jobs that are legit, and the ones that are called jobs, but don't really qualify as actual jobs?   TIA.

Where did I say any job wasn't legit?   You are perpetually pissed off about everything all the time.   You are in a perpetual state of butthurt about everything, always.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »

I think that question answers itself.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »

I can't be there on Friday so I'll just enter a big of $10 right here.
I can't be there on Friday either.  If I can find it Friday (in kc), I'll bring it to Manhattan Saturday.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Another Round Of Applause For Kansas
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
A society is best served by having an educated citizenry. Why anyone would ever make drastic cuts to public education baffles me. As a whole, who do you think is doing better? The states whose public education systems have consistently ranked in the Top 10 over the last few decades, or the states finishing in the bottom 10? Because if you think there's no difference, just walk around Louisiana for a while.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
Haven't read it all yet, but national attention!

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/rogue-state-how-far-right-fanatics-hijacked-kansas-20130612

The title sounds like it will be a fair and thoughtful article. I can't wait to read it!

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »
Haven't read it all yet, but national attention!

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/rogue-state-how-far-right-fanatics-hijacked-kansas-20130612

The title sounds like it will be a fair and thoughtful article. I can't wait to read it!

I don't understand how that can be two ways.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2013, 07:18:45 PM »
Got into it pretty good with some visiting Kansas relatives about what a jackass Brownback is being on higher education (amongst other things).    I just want to make sure it's not the $150K plus tenured prof types who aren't raising a stink about the salaries. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile