Author Topic: Another Round Of Applause For Kansas  (Read 65419 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Another Round Of Applause For Kansas
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »
My favorite part was:

"Both K-State and KU students are paying more to fund higher education than the state of Kansas, which is not fair," said Regent Dan Lykins of Topeka.

Are you seriously telling me that college students have to pay for a bigger share of their education than the taxpayers at large? Are you rough ridin' kidding me?! What kind of society are we living in? :runaway:

I also liked:

"It's never good public policy to cut higher education," Logan said.

Did you here that GOP? NEVER.

Yeah, I mean how is it good for the taxpaying base at large to support people getting college educations? :lol:

Yes, totally agree. If taxpayers would foot more of the bill, we could send way more kids to college. That's the problem with this economy, not enough college graduates. Especially not enough liberal arts degrees.

People that did not get liberal arts degrees seem extremely butt hurt about people that do.  Not sure why.  Is it their belief that the welfare rolls are filled with liberal arts degrees?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »
My favorite part was:

"Both K-State and KU students are paying more to fund higher education than the state of Kansas, which is not fair," said Regent Dan Lykins of Topeka.

Are you seriously telling me that college students have to pay for a bigger share of their education than the taxpayers at large? Are you rough ridin' kidding me?! What kind of society are we living in? :runaway:

I also liked:

Yeah, I mean how is it good for the taxpaying base at large to support people getting college educations? :lol:

Yes, totally agree. If taxpayers would foot more of the bill, we could send way more kids to college. That's the problem with this economy, not enough college graduates. Especially not enough liberal arts degrees.

People that did not get liberal arts degrees seem extremely butt hurt about people that do.  Not sure why.  Is it their belief that the welfare rolls are filled with liberal arts degrees?

pretty sure in this specific instance it's just the word "liberal"

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »
I'm not even sure what they would consider a "liberal arts degree."  Would Econ fall in there?  Poly Sci?  Or just like Medieval History or Poetry?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »
I'm not even sure what they would consider a "liberal arts degree."  Would Econ fall in there?  Poly Sci?  Or just like Medieval History or Poetry?

Do you have a BA or a BS?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »
I want to meet a medieval history major grad.  I'd party with them

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »

B.S.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
I want to meet a medieval history major grad.  I'd party with them

i minored.  buttonwillow awaits.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
just seems hilarious to me that at the same time kansas is implementing what experts are calling like, the worst tax plan in history, they are also cutting the crap out of higher education.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
just seems hilarious to me that at the same time kansas is implementing what experts are calling like, the worst tax plan in history, they are also cutting the crap out of higher education.

Well it is pretty awesome for me considering the sales tax got raised, the standard deduction gets lowered $1,500, my property taxes are going up, the mortgage interest deducation is getting cut and my taxes are getting cut by like .7% to offset all of that.  Sounds good.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »
I'm not even sure what they would consider a "liberal arts degree."  Would Econ fall in there?

It's a social science so I think it would be classified as liberal arts. Now that you have freak schools offering Phd's in business the line has been blurred. Freak schools like Nebraska have (or at least had) it in the school of business as well.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »

B.S.

That S keeps you safe from being persecuted as a Libtard, but let's be real....KS is coming after Sciencetards as soon as they polish off the libtards, so you may want to plan accordingly.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:31 PM »
Another fun hick mouth-breather talking point is how professors only work 6 hours a week because they only teach two classes.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
Another fun hick mouth-breather talking point is how professors only work 6 hours a week because they only teach two classes.

Also they all make 100K and work 9 months.  Pretty interesting if true.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »
Kansas would have just been better off eliminating the state income tax altogether, and increasing sales taxes on things like booze and cigarettes..  A regressive tax system just squeezes the lower and middle class, and it cuts funding for a lot of basic things like infrastructure and education. 

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
My favorite part was:

I also liked:

Guess this is a fun thing to complain about if you were fortunate enough to attend and graduate from college when public schools received more government funding

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
My favorite part was:

I also liked:

Guess this is a fun thing to complain about if you were fortunate enough to attend and graduate from college when public schools received more government funding

Yet the "eff you, I got mine" platform is enough to get about 65 percent of the votes in Kansas.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
:bawl: It's not fair!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
At my first job at a publishing house there was a executive VP who made $450K per year. His major in college was Calligraphy.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2013, 01:25:10 PM »
Kansas would have just been better off eliminating the state income tax altogether, and increasing sales taxes on things like booze and cigarettes..  A regressive tax system just squeezes the lower and middle class, and it cuts funding for a lot of basic things like infrastructure and education.

Sales taxes only would really squeeze the middle and lower class and anyone else that spends most or all of their income already. 

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
At my first job at a publishing house there was a executive VP who made $450K per year. His major in college was Calligraphy.

That actually makes sense.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
:bawl: It's not fair!

"I didn't have a problem with taxpayers subsidizing my tuition but I've already graduated so eff everyone who didn't go to college when I did"

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »

Sales taxes only would really squeeze the middle and lower class and anyone else that spends most or all of their income already.

Yeah, I'm not talking about the state sales tax (which I'm pretty sure Kansas increased).  I'm talking about implementing a double externality tax which creates a disincentive for something harmful (in this case smoking/drinking) and also creates a long-term benefit for society (less smokers/alcoholics/DUI's/etc).  We already have federal taxes on things like cigarettes, but states can impose them as well.  I've always said that if Kansas really wanted to attract business and become a truly conservative state, it should just get rid of the state income tax altogether.  Washington state is a good example... they don't have a state income tax, but they tax the crap out of things like alcohol and tobacco (and they'll be taxing marijuana pretty soon too). 

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »

Well it is pretty awesome for me considering the sales tax got raised, the standard deduction gets lowered $1,500, my property taxes are going up, the mortgage interest deducation is getting cut and my taxes are getting cut by like .7% to offset all of that.  Sounds good.

idk if you would ever use a child care(daycare) provider deduction but that got nixed too.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »

idk if you would ever use a child care(daycare) provider deduction but that got nixed too.

Yeah that didn't hurt as much as it could've because we couldn't claim all of our hours, but that sucks too.  Some pro-family agenda.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
Are liberal arts the ones that make you work with jews?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite