Author Topic: Another Round Of Applause For Kansas  (Read 65516 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Another Round Of Applause For Kansas
« Reply #600 on: November 11, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »
Book censoring has been going on for the past milinual.  During the fourth century catholics destroyed all books that did not agree with their beliefs.  Such documents described Jesus as having a wife and a child.  Jesus also had four bothers and two sisters.  This crap wasn't going to fly, so they burned any documents with this information in them.  :horrorsurprise:   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 12, 2021, 07:50:41 PM »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 13, 2021, 07:25:45 AM »
If that isn't racist thought then I don't know the definition of racist.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 13, 2021, 08:36:20 AM »
Just so dumb/lazy.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 14, 2021, 11:45:11 PM »
This mayor was almost young enough to get an MIP.

https://twitter.com/AmyReneeLeiker/status/1459922969225052164

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 25, 2022, 11:46:55 PM »
Yep, there are a lot of stupid pubs in Kansas just like most red states.  :lol:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 26, 2022, 04:40:36 PM »
During his time on the Reno County Commission, Steffen stirred controversy — he once invited a purveyor of essential oils to address commissioners about how they could be used during the pandemic, the Kansas Reflector reported last year.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article257735298.html#storylink=cpy

:lol:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 26, 2022, 06:14:46 PM »
holy crap

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 26, 2022, 06:16:32 PM »
If I know Reno County (and I do), there's a 100% chance that purveyor was his slam piece.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 26, 2022, 11:40:19 PM »
SIAP, any gE’rs from Gove County?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-trying-times-a-kansas-community-faced-down-its-fear-of-outsiders-11635004759?reflink=share_mobilewebshare

Can we get a c&p? That's behind a paywall.

Pretty long article so I can’t copy it all from the app but this will give you the general flavor:

GRINNELL, Kansas—A few weeks into the Covid-19 lockdown, a van with Colorado plates pulled up to the Hometown Grocery & Cafe in Grinnell, a town of 269 people in a county of 2,600. “I’m here to buy all of your toilet paper,” the driver said.

Through the shop window, owner Gwen Wolf could see toilet paper stacked high in the woman’s van. Many of Ms. Wolf’s regulars lived on farms far from the nearest town, and she didn’t like the idea of strangers depriving them of necessities. “I showed her the door,” recalled Ms. Wolf, a Gove County native.

Two more cars from Colorado appeared at her store and word spread fast: Outsiders were pulling off Interstate 70 and snatching up Gove County’s dwindling supply of toilet paper.

“They’re welcome to do what’s best for themselves, but not at our expense,” said Lance “L.T.” Coburn, 23 years old, who runs an automobile-restoration shop with his father.

As disease, racial unrest and political violence spread through the U.S. over the past 19 months, communities around the country found themselves grappling with the sense that the most immediate threat they faced was from other Americans, rather than foreign adversaries.

Police in Colby, Kansas, a town of 5,500 in Thomas County, about 40 miles northwest of Grinnell, received intelligence reports last year from other law-enforcement agencies that Black Lives Matter protesters from Colorado planned demonstrations in Kansas, said Colby Police Chief Ron Alexander. Similar reports reached the Gove County Sheriff’s Office.

The reports were followed by rumors, inflated in the retelling, of protesters planning to rampage through towns along I-70, fears that proved unfounded.

Callers demanded Chief Alexander take action. “They were worried we were going to end up like Minneapolis or Portland,” he recalled. The chief gave assurances that police wouldn’t tolerate violence.

Mr. Coburn was among the Gove County residents who saw local menace in distant events, and decided to do something about it.

On an early fall evening last year, eight or so people, including Mr. Coburn, decided they needed to act on their own. They held the inaugural meeting of the Gove County Emergency Response Group at a park in Gove City, population 86.

By December, their weekly meetings were drawing dozens of people, some from local volunteer fire departments and emergency services, said Andrew Todd, 30, one of the organizers.

The group’s inception coincided with a cluster of Covid-19 cases that briefly left Gove County with the highest death rate from the pandemic in the U.S. Sheriff Allan Weber, a well-loved figure, died of the disease a week before Christmas. A sheriff’s deputy contracted Covid-19 and so did everyone at the county’s emergency-operations center.

Lance ‘L.T.’ Coburn does auto repair and restoration work with his father in Quinter, Kansas.
Members of the Gove County Emergency Response Group thought that they might be needed to prevent outside agitators from exiting the freeway. “All of the worst stuff comes from I-70, that I know,” said Roger Wilson, 60, manager of a hunting preserve. “You can’t be quite as sure about who you’re dealing with.”

Mr. Coburn said he pictured group members guarding the doors of the local pharmacy to safeguard medicines. Or, they might station themselves at freeway exits, giving out a gallon or two of gasoline to those in need and pointing them down the road.

The group wasn’t a secret, but members didn’t publicize it, either.

A group of women who jokingly called themselves the Enlightened Ladies Club caught wind and were suspicious. They leaned liberal for the most part in conservative Gove County and sometimes dined together to share views. “We were anticipating some sort of vigilante group,” said Patrice Ostmeyer, who works part time at the public library.

Members of the civil-defense group said they saw themselves as reinforcements for local authorities, not as a militia. “We don’t want to be associated with that name, and that’s not what we’re doing,” Mr. Todd said.

Worried about its image, the group went public early this year, posting a mission statement at the Dairy Queen, feed stores and the Pit Stop gas station.

“Gove County Emergency Response Group works to help maintain peace in Gove County,” the flier said. “By educating citizens in our area of preparedness and self-defense; inviting citizens of all backgrounds and races to stand unified against lawlessness in times of disaster and civil unrest; and building strong relationships with law enforcement through cooperative community efforts.”

Gene Tilton grows crops and raises cattle in Quinter, Kansas.
Gene Tilton, 84, whose family arrived in the 1880s, was among those who didn’t think the community needed a self-defense group. “If the need did arise, it wouldn’t take long to rally one,” said Mr. Tilton, who grows crops and raises cattle on 10,000 acres.

Michael Machen, who has practiced medicine in Gove County for 35 years, inhabits the liberal end of the local political spectrum. He attended the wedding of L.T. Coburn’s parents, and he delivered L.T. himself. Dr. Machen hired the Coburns to restore his 1966 Ford Mustang.

“They’re good guys,” Dr. Machen, 67, said of the group members he knows. “That said, we’ve already got an emergency response team here that involves people that are real law enforcement, and emergency preparedness people that are trained to do that.”

Dr. Machen found the group’s concerns overblown. “If someone pulled off the highway and went to Dollar General and there was toilet paper, sure they’re going to buy it,” he said. “But I don’t see that as a threat to our way of life.”

Members of the Emergency Response Group were surprised by the suspicion they aroused. They scheduled a public meeting to explain themselves. One of the guests was Sheriff Shawn Mesch.

He had just been named interim sheriff when news broke of the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol. That was when he decided to find out more about the self-defense group that had cropped up on his turf.

While visiting Mr. Todd’s father-in-law’s farm to inspect a new pickup truck for registration, Sheriff Mesch accepted an invitation to attend the group’s public meeting.

Tyler Tuttle playing with his daughter Journie in Grainfield, Kansas. Mr. Tuttle said he was approached about joining the Gove County Emergency Response Team.
Downtown Grinnell, Kansas.

Woahhhhh, this is probably the first time I have known someone quoted in a WSJ article.

Over the summer my dad told me he had given permission for the pastor in Levant (Tiny town outside of colby my dad lived in as a kid and randomly goes to church at when he's out there) to hunt our land and I was like whatever. I was out there hunting this fall and saw a pickup pull up around 330pm and a guy and his son get out with some bows to go deer hunting. I walked over and chatted for a bit and confirmed that he was the pastor named Ron my dad had mentioned to me so I gave them some tips on where I had spooked some deer while pheasant hunting and we parted ways.

When I mentioned it to my dad and asked how some teeny town in BFE Kansas could afford to have a full time pastor he casually mentioned that "Ron" was the chief of police in Colby and just a pastor on the side.

So anyways I've met the chief of police in Colby KS and he is the only non family member who has permission to hunt out at the cat ranch....ole ben ji's dad is always playing the long game.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 27, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »

Woahhhhh, this is probably the first time I have known someone quoted in a WSJ article.

Over the summer my dad told me he had given permission for the pastor in Levant (Tiny town outside of colby my dad lived in as a kid and randomly goes to church at when he's out there) to hunt our land and I was like whatever. I was out there hunting this fall and saw a pickup pull up around 330pm and a guy and his son get out with some bows to go deer hunting. I walked over and chatted for a bit and confirmed that he was the pastor named Ron my dad had mentioned to me so I gave them some tips on where I had spooked some deer while pheasant hunting and we parted ways.

When I mentioned it to my dad and asked how some teeny town in BFE Kansas could afford to have a full time pastor he casually mentioned that "Ron" was the chief of police in Colby and just a pastor on the side.

So anyways I've met the chief of police in Colby KS and he is the only non family member who has permission to hunt out at the cat ranch....ole ben ji's dad is always playing the long game.
[/quote]
Great stuff, ben ji. I've always thought that Levant is a cool name for a place. I enjoy all of those western KS / eastern CO place names.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 28, 2022, 07:26:38 PM »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 28, 2022, 07:38:22 PM »
One mutual friend on FB  :lol:

same!  :emawkid:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 28, 2022, 07:40:26 PM »
Lucifer just mumped up… He sent his agents of darkness to come try and trip me up, they searched all my belongings and repeatedly told me not to go to the White House. Why do I have a Ruger 1911 magazine with three bullets but not the 1911? Idk God said to… they hope I throw them away… I’m telling you that Satan just tripped up His own game…. There will be a miracle happening at the White House. I believe Joe Biden is the AntiChrist now and he will suffer a fatal head wound. I’ll deal that blow in Christ’s name. Bro…. This is getting deep. And I’m going to do it with bullets and no gun…. and the Agents of Darkness are the ones who tripped up their own game by making a big deal about the bullets. I bet there Father the Devil is pissed off really bad now…. Secret Service Agent Greg Lucifer won’t even take my phone calls. He is rough ridin' terrified because He knows I’m coming for him to deal a grievous blow in Christ name. I’m going to take back their slogan…. I’m fighting for the Souls of this Great Nation.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 28, 2022, 07:52:46 PM »
Sigh of relief after I saw I misread this guy's "cut off the head" as "cut the head off."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 29, 2022, 11:39:58 AM »
Lucifer just mumped up… He sent his agents of darkness to come try and trip me up, they searched all my belongings and repeatedly told me not to go to the White House. Why do I have a Ruger 1911 magazine with three bullets but not the 1911? Idk God said to… they hope I throw them away… I’m telling you that Satan just tripped up His own game…. There will be a miracle happening at the White House. I believe Joe Biden is the AntiChrist now and he will suffer a fatal head wound. I’ll deal that blow in Christ’s name. Bro…. This is getting deep. And I’m going to do it with bullets and no gun…. and the Agents of Darkness are the ones who tripped up their own game by making a big deal about the bullets. I bet there Father the Devil is pissed off really bad now…. Secret Service Agent Greg Lucifer won’t even take my phone calls. He is rough ridin' terrified because He knows I’m coming for him to deal a grievous blow in Christ name. I’m going to take back their slogan…. I’m fighting for the Souls of this Great Nation.
This guy sounds like he is more clinically psychotic than a threat to the nation's security. Hope he gets the help that he needs. (Although mental health services are chronically underfunded in KS and that could be a really challenge.)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 07, 2022, 08:47:06 PM »
ks senate fails to override the veto of the redistricting gerrymander.  davids lives (for now).  and maybe riley still has a chance at not being stuck in the western ks district.

https://twitter.com/Ptsbrian/status/1490836714511736837
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 08, 2022, 12:16:19 AM »
ks senate fails to override the veto of the redistricting gerrymander.  davids lives (for now).  and maybe riley still has a chance at not being stuck in the western ks district.

https://twitter.com/Ptsbrian/status/1490836714511736837

That map is really gross. Shameful.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 08, 2022, 05:57:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/erin__melton/status/1490714098627235849?s=21

Good ole Virgil peck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile