Author Topic: Computer thread  (Read 39154 times)

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Computer thread
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 09:24:19 AM »
Had my phone plugged into my Macbook usb port, message pops up and says too much power running to computer then 2 minutes later the computer goes black. Can't turn it on, can't charge it.  Took it to the nerds at BestBuy last night and they're going to try and back up everything then they have to ship it off for a few weeks. Did I fry my computer/how mumped am I?

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »
You should be:  :runaway:

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »
I AM!

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
Thinking of upgrading my desktop which I basically just use as a file server and picture editing now.  Here are the options I'm kicking around

- Upgrade memory and HDDs of this one (boring and for poors)
- Get new Windows based desktop and possibly a NAS
- Move into a Mac desktop and NAS
- Go Macbook Air and NAS

Already have one laptop (Windows) and the point of the NAS is obviously to share pics/music/files across all devices including smart tv / xbox / etc.  Leaning towards Macbook Air given I need a good way to edit pictures and videos and the desktop I use now for that is a dog.  Concern with going Mac is sharing the edited files to all other devices and I've never had a Mac but look super neato.

Which one should I go with?  Or is there a better option all together?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2013, 07:46:47 PM »
I made my old desktop into basically a storage device. I download everything to it. Stream everything from it. Very easy to do with Windows. No idea how it interfaces with Macs. Shouldn't an issue, I'd guess. Homegroups in Windows makes things very easy though.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »
I made my old desktop into basically a storage device. I download everything to it. Stream everything from it. Very easy to do with Windows. No idea how it interfaces with Macs. Shouldn't an issue, I'd guess. Homegroups in Windows makes things very easy though.

I haven't had the best of luck consistently getting it to work but I haven't tried very hard.  I could turn the desktop into a storage device but thinking would rather go with something smaller like a NAS.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2013, 08:19:39 PM »

I haven't had the best of luck consistently getting it to work but I haven't tried very hard.  I could turn the desktop into a storage device but thinking would rather go with something smaller like a NAS.
dumbasses.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »
Thinking of upgrading my desktop which I basically just use as a file server and picture editing now.  Here are the options I'm kicking around

- Go Macbook Air and NAS

Already have one laptop (Windows) and the point of the NAS is obviously to share pics/music/files across all devices including smart tv / xbox / etc.  Leaning towards Macbook Air given I need a good way to edit pictures and videos and the desktop I use now for that is a dog.  Concern with going Mac is sharing the edited files to all other devices and I've never had a Mac but look super neato.

solid state drive
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »
I love my ssd.  It's great.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »

- Go Macbook Air and NAS

solid state drive

Could fix the RW times.  More looking for excuse to buy new hardware and hence which to buy.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »
I need to purchase a Windows Desktop after I have been using a MacBook for years.  Will be using for front desk off a server, so no need for a major graphics card but CPU, RAM, large screen needed.

Recommendations?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
Have you ever thought about just putting a virtual instance of Windows on your macbook?

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
Have you ever thought about just putting a virtual instance of Windows on your macbook?

Yeah, I have one on it.  My macbook is from 2008-2009 and is starting to slow down anyway and I still need a personal computer.  Also, the software I need to run doesn't cooperate well when Ive tested it.  I need my major software to run flawlessly and also have one or two bigger screens.  I understand you can probably get external monitor(s) for a laptop but with all these issues I just figured I'd invest in a new PC desktop.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
my suggestion is always to look through the last few days of posts in http://gizmodo.com/tag/dealzmodo or just monitor it for a few days (one post a day at 2pm CST)  they always have good rigs setup

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
We need a new laptop, not a desktop, I want to be able to move about my house computing.  Not interested in apple products; we BBS, interweb, and edit photos.

I think this should be accomplished for less than $700, give me some options and/or computers to steer clear of.  If it matters we just bought a 2TB external hard drive.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »
Only use SSD's for your OS and data that is not read/write intensive. They have limited life and usually last less than 3 years if you use them for read/write.

My suggestion for your new rig: Get a small SSD for your OS and Applications and a HDD for your data such as music, movies, documents, etc...

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »
Only use SSD's for your OS and data that is not read/write intensive. They have limited life and usually last less than 3 years if you use them for read/write.

My suggestion for your new rig: Get a small SSD for your OS and Applications and a HDD for your data such as music, movies, documents, etc...

That's just not true. Also, your suggestion contradicts your previous sentence because while it is smart to install the OS on an SSD, it will incur far more writes than a secondary drive. Reads have no measurable impact on drive life.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »

That's just not true. Also, your suggestion contradicts your previous sentence because while it is smart to install the OS on an SSD, it will incur far more writes than a secondary drive. Reads have no measurable impact on drive life.

You want the OS on a SSD because it's primarily read cycles instead write cycles. Life expectancy is far lower for SSD's than HDD's. I've got a pile of them in my office to prove it.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »
I know the benefits of an SSD. But unless you are hosting a webserver your 3 year claim is complete bullshit. That or you bought a lot of SSDs with sandforce controllers, which are crap and just unreliable. But that has nothing to do with wear on the NAND.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »
The read/write cycle degradation  of SSD is something thats becoming less and less of an issue with newer models... spend a little more on a nicer quality drive if you're very worried about it.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »
my SSD has the OS, and used to have the game i played the most on it.  it's 4 years old.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2013, 11:14:29 PM »
The read/write cycle degradation  of SSD is something thats becoming less and less of an issue with newer models... spend a little more on a nicer quality drive if you're very worried about it.

That's kind of the opposite of reality. As the manufacturing process of the NAND gets smaller and companies push to create cheaper SSDs the number of write cycles the NAND can survive gets smaller.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »
After going full SSD for a while, i've settled on doing a small 60GB or so drive for my OS and various applications and an array of HDD's for the rest. My server is set up in an array of HDD's also. To each their own though!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2013, 09:43:55 AM »
yeah the write cycle thing was a concern in the beginning, but is an absolute non-issue with today's ssds