Author Topic: Computer thread  (Read 38845 times)

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Computer thread
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Build your own computer.  As long as you can follow directions and have a better understanding of technology than an octogenarian, it's pretty simple.  You can get something more powerful than a prebuilt for a fraction of the price and it won't come pre-loaded with a bunch of garbage programs.
this just isn't true anymore

Yes it is.  If all you want is a laptop for work/school the difference won't be huge, but it is most definitely true if you want a high end PC.  I spent $1000 on parts and built something that would cost $4000 if you bought it premade from Dell.  Even if you don't need something that powerful, a $400 custom built computer is going to be better than a $400 premade computer.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
It seems like it would be kind of hard to build your own laptop.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 09:00:56 PM »
It seems like it would be kind of hard to build your own laptop.

It is more difficult than building a desktop, but it's not terribly hard.  However, if you want a laptop and don't have some experience building computers, you should get a premade.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »
Build your own computer.  As long as you can follow directions and have a better understanding of technology than an octogenarian, it's pretty simple.  You can get something more powerful than a prebuilt for a fraction of the price and it won't come pre-loaded with a bunch of garbage programs.

Yes it is.  If all you want is a laptop for work/school the difference won't be huge, but it is most definitely true if you want a high end PC.  I spent $1000 on parts and built something that would cost $4000 if you bought it premade from Dell.  Even if you don't need something that powerful, a $400 custom built computer is going to be better than a $400 premade computer.
does the op, who's having trouble with YouTube, seem to you like the type who'd be in the market for a $4000 rig?  these salient points of yours keep getting better.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 09:37:02 PM »
wheres a good place to look for barebone laptop cases?  I've always wondered how you ensure that you'll have enough space in the final product for all the parts you've assembled

The Big Train

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
Yeah I have to have a laptop for work, not too worried about price, not going to pay a bunch extra for extra features I don't need.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »

does the op, who's having trouble with YouTube, seem to you like the type who'd be in the market for a $4000 rig?  these salient points of yours keep getting better.

That post had nothing to do with the OP, it was refuting you saying that it isn't more cost-effective to build your own computer.

If all you need is something basic and you don't know how to build a computer, buying a premade is probably a better choice.  But still, if all you need is something basic and you want to learn how to build one, you're going to get something better that will last longer for the same price.  You can pay $400 for a premade where half the cost is labor and half the cost is overpriced parts, or you can buy $400 worth of reasonably priced parts from newegg.com and spend a couple hours putting them together.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:09 PM »
Don't own a computer anymore, just have an iPad. Really fits my go with the flow, fly by the seat if your pants personality.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »
Don't own a computer anymore, just have an iPad. Really fits my go with the flow, fly by the seat if your pants personality.

That sounds horrible. I own 4 different tablets and I could never imagine getting rid of my computer.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »

That sounds horrible. I own 4 different tablets and I could never imagine getting rid of my computer.

Well I work on one all day, I guess it's not totally convenient but I pretty much just BBS from home so I don't need a computer. If I needed to use a computer I'd just drive to work I guess. Hasn't happened yet.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 11:20:05 PM »
Building your own and "saving tons of money" is a bullshit lie.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 11:33:28 PM »

ONLY A REALLY OLD PERSON DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO BUILD A COMPUTER!!!  Shut up idiot.

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 07:02:38 AM »
I recommend HP over Dell for completely unbiased reasons.    :grin:

Besides, Dell is about to go belly up.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »
Building your own and "saving tons of money" is a bullshit lie.

If you are wanting to play games on your computer, it's not. If you don't play PC games, then yeah.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 09:54:28 AM »

Well I work on one all day, I guess it's not totally convenient but I pretty much just BBS from home so I don't need a computer. If I needed to use a computer I'd just drive to work I guess. Hasn't happened yet.

In this camp, iPad does everything I need it to do from my couch.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »

In this camp, iPad does everything I need it to do from my couch.

:cheers:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »
iPad does not do everything I need. Must have a laptop.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »
Tablets are great for games and music. I'm a hardcore surfer and I need a laptop.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:47 AM »
tablets really aren't great for games. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 10:54:55 AM »

Ever tried playing Temple Run OZ on a PC?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »
I guess we all have different needs for our home computing experiences and that's what makes us all special and I'm just glad we are all best friends  :cheers:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »

ya, it runs great.  also, my point was that while a tablet to play temple run oz on may be the extent of your gaming needs, the reality is that the shelf life of a tablet game is very short lived.  tablets are acceptable for tablet games, that's it.  the world of games extends far beyond what a tablet can offer.

it's really odd you can't understand that.  maybe you're a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »

ya, it runs great.  also, my point was that while a tablet to play temple run oz on may be the extent of your gaming needs, the reality is that the shelf life of a tablet game is very short lived.  tablets are acceptable for tablet games, that's it.  the world of games extends far beyond what a tablet can offer.

it's really odd you can't understand that.  maybe you're a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Nice try, Mr. Clams. I have been tested numerous times and I am several points away from being Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). I am well into the Dull Normal range.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »
Pocket Tanks is the bomb on my iPad.
@mikec2w

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »

That post had nothing to do with the OP, it was refuting you saying that it isn't more cost-effective to build your own computer.

If all you need is something basic and you don't know how to build a computer, buying a premade is probably a better choice.  But still, if all you need is something basic and you want to learn how to build one, you're going to get something better that will last longer for the same price.  You can pay $400 for a premade where half the cost is labor and half the cost is overpriced parts, or you can buy $400 worth of reasonably priced parts from newegg.com and spend a couple hours putting them together.

You seriously think the common user that can't get Youtube to work on their current laptop should be building their own laptop? The market for barebones laptop parts is pretty much nonexistent. Your options are extremely slim. MSI and... If you're going the route of getting one where you have to install the processor, graphics, wireless, etc. then it's an even crazier suggestion.

OP needs to stick to buying a name brand laptop with warranty. If you seriously consider a Macbook you might try to get your current laptop to last as long as possible. Rumors flying about when the new iPad/Macbook's will be released this year. New Mac's should have the Haswell chip. Might as well wait for those if you're buying this year.