Author Topic: Let's talk about the Big 12  (Read 17285 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about the Big 12
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
Lol.  Sure thing, bruh

aren't you supposed to be a lawyer?  even if you aren't any good at it, you should at least know this.

That's why I'm laughing at you.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
aren't you supposed to be a lawyer?  even if you aren't any good at it, you should at least know this.

because you're a bad lawyer?  or just a dishonest poster?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2013, 05:22:32 PM »

because you're a bad lawyer?  or just a dishonest poster?

Because you don't know crap about the law, but think you do.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2013, 05:34:10 PM »
I know stuff about the law. For one, don't break it.
emaw

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »

i don't know a great deal about the law, but i do know this.  it's rough ridin' basic.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »

i don't know a great deal about the law, but i do know this.  it's rough ridin' basic.

It's basic that signed waiver is frequently not enforceable?  I guess if frequently means "under certain rare circumstances" but no one would think that means "frequently"

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2013, 06:23:16 PM »
SYS getting clown suited, what's new?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »
It's basic that signed waiver is frequently not enforceable?  I guess if frequently means "under certain rare circumstances" but no one would think that means "frequently"

so your whole song and dance is about the word choice "frequently"?  fine, replace frequently with "in a number of circumstances".

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »

so your whole song and dance is about the word choice "frequently"?  fine, replace frequently with "in a number of circumstances".

Tremendous back pedal. 

Yes, once in awhile a signed document will be unenforceable.  Fraud, duress, etc.  not likely to apply when an athlete knowingly waives liability against the school for playing what he knows is a dangerous sport.  Hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »
"Contracts were made to be broken." 

(pretty sure I learned this in 5th grade)

:gocho:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »
"Contracts were made to be broken." 

(pretty sure I learned this in 5th grade)

:gocho:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
Tremendous back pedal. 

not at all, you ascribed meaning to my post that was not intended.  a reasonable reading of my post would have considered that i did not access to the proportion of contracts which were unenforcable due to one circumstance or another.  and thus, it would be likely that i was not attempting to describe a value (even a relative value) of that proportion, but rather express that there are ample different reasons by which a contract might be unenforceable.

that'd be a non butthurt reading.

Fraud, duress, etc., not likely to apply when an athlete knowingly waives liability against the school for playing what he knows is a dangerous sport.  Hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

well, there are lawsuits springing up all over around the issue, so i think we're going to find out before too long.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »
Lol, ok

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2013, 02:12:55 PM »
Huggs is Huggsing a lot of guys.

Jeff Goodman ?@GoodmanCBS 4m
Bob Huggins starting to clean house a bit. Three guys transferring from West Va. -- Aaron Brown, Volodymyr Gerun and Jabarie Hinds.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
the Master

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
The Big 12, final home of those found wanting in the big 10.  :cool:

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »
The Big 12, final home of those found wanting in the big 10.  :cool:

Iowa State and West Virginia for sure.  :driving:

Offline owl borland

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • I thought hurricane season was over
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9147684/very-early-top-25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball

Looks like Jason King thinks we'll be at least top 4 in Big 12 next year...With the league being even weaker next season, i like our chances to compete  to repeat.  :emawkid:
GIFSoup

Don't forget your power towel. Bring it to every game

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
Adding to beems's thoughts about football's growth maybe peaking, the NCAA tournament may have international growth opportunity while football probably won't. People play basketball all over the world, while youth football is basically played in Florida, Texas, and American suburbs. The NBA is doing a pretty good job overseas, and it would be interesting if ncaa basketball could somehow sell itself overseas as the "future stars" of the Asian and European leagues. I'm sure they've tried, but still.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9147684/very-early-top-25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball

Looks like Jason King thinks we'll be at least top 4 in Big 12 next year...With the league being even weaker next season, i like our chances to compete  to repeat.  :emawkid:

Putting Baylor in the top 25 is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. This reminds me that I was going to research the last NIT champion to lose their leading scorer and then finish the next season in the top 25.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:21:49 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »

Putting Baylor in the top 25 is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. This reminds me that I was going to research the last NIT champion to lose their leading scorer and then finish the next season in the top 25.

I stopped looking at the 2000 season because its way too time consuming for me to do this, when ESPN has paid researchers for such things. There were only 3 NIT Champions since 2000 that finished the next season ranked; 2011 Wichita State, 2002 Memphis, and 2000 Wake Forest. Of those 3 only 2011 Wichita State lost their leading scorer and that was JT Durley who averaged a whopping 11 PPG. Given history, it's a long shot for Baylor or any other NIT Champion to finish in the top 25 the next season, seems nearly impossible when losing a player who led not just the team, but the conference in the following
Free Throw Attempts
Free Throw Makes
Three Point Attempts
Three Point Makes
Field Goal Attempts
Field Goal Makes
Minutes

We haven't even talked about the possibility of losing Austin and or Jefferson to the NBA.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »
The NBA is doing a pretty good job overseas, and it would be interesting if ncaa basketball could somehow sell itself overseas as the "future stars" of the Asian and European leagues. I'm sure they've tried, but still.

people in other countries have little to no idea that ncaa bball exists.  universities don't play sports, at least not high-level sports, in most other countries so the idea isn't intuitive.  i've tried to explain my interest in american collegiate athletics to foreigners and they look at me like i'm a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »
The NBA is doing a pretty good job overseas, and it would be interesting if ncaa basketball could somehow sell itself overseas as the "future stars" of the Asian and European leagues. I'm sure they've tried, but still.

people in other countries have little to no idea that ncaa bball exists.  universities don't play sports, at least not high-level sports, in most other countries so the idea isn't intuitive.  i've tried to explain my interest in american collegiate athletics to foreigners and they look at me like i'm a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

well, maybe someday.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2013, 12:08:23 AM »
I would think March Madness would be very easy for people overseas to catch onto. The NCAA just needs to do a better job making their presence felt.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2013, 12:10:12 AM »

I stopped looking at the 2000 season because its way too time consuming for me to do this, when ESPN has paid researchers for such things. There were only 3 NIT Champions since 2000 that finished the next season ranked; 2011 Wichita State, 2002 Memphis, and 2000 Wake Forest. Of those 3 only 2011 Wichita State lost their leading scorer and that was JT Durley who averaged a whopping 11 PPG. Given history, it's a long shot for Baylor or any other NIT Champion to finish in the top 25 the next season, seems nearly impossible when losing a player who led not just the team, but the conference in the following
Free Throw Attempts
Free Throw Makes
Three Point Attempts
Three Point Makes
Field Goal Attempts
Field Goal Makes
Minutes

We haven't even talked about the possibility of losing Austin and or Jefferson to the NBA.

Looking at only NIT champions is a pretty small sample size. NIT champs is also pretty meaningless, nobody cares about those games, so I'm positive there have been some pretty shitty teams win the whole damn thing. I'm sure there have been plenty of NIT participants who have ended the next year in the rankings. Too lazy to look it up.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang