Author Topic: Hypothetical Coaching Search  (Read 14858 times)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical Coaching Search
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
Hawks, is there somebody Bill would recommend?   His coaching tree doesn't have a guy that comes to mind.

He does have Doc alongside on the bench...nah, Bill won't make that recommendation.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »
Izzo would get a serious look.

He would not leave MSU for KU.

Yes he would.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2013, 11:08:03 PM »
I might roll the dice with Pastner instead of any of the former players if it was my call after Buzz, Brad and Sean said no.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:13 PM »
Izzo would laugh in KU's (or anyone else's) face.

Agree on Miller and Buzz.  Pastner needs a F4 or success at some High-Major stop and he would be near top of the list.  I would take him now (as KU), but I'm not sure they would.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 11:11:54 PM »

Yes he would.

MSU can give Izzo everything that KU could dream of and does so already.  Plus, it's home.  Izzo would laugh in KU's fat face.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »

Yes he would.
that would be like getting Boehiem to leave Syracuse  or JT3  to leave GT.  Izzo won't leave while Jud  is still alive.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:52 PM »
there just aren't many good young coaches at the bcs level that you are pretty sure would succeed at Kansas. Buzz and Miller are about the only ones. Which kind of highlights how lucky they got with Self.

KU would have ended up with Izzo, Calipari, or Crean if it wasn't Self.  Quit acting like our program was on the brink of collapse or something.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2013, 11:13:37 PM »
:shakesfist:
there just aren't many good young coaches at the bcs level that you :shakesfist: are pretty sure would succeed at Kansas. Buzz and Miller are about the only ones. Which kind of highlights how lucky they got with Self.

KU would have ended up with Izzo, Calipari, or Crean if it wasn't Self.  Quit acting like our program was on the brink of collapse or something.

One of these things is not like the others.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »
there just aren't many good young coaches at the bcs level that you are pretty sure would succeed at Kansas. Buzz and Miller are about the only ones. Which kind of highlights how lucky they got with Self.

This is spot on.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »

Yes he would.

Izzo turned down ridiculous money from the NBA to stay at MSU.  I know you're fishing, but both of us know that he wouldn't.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »
there just aren't many good young coaches at the bcs level that you :shakesfist: are pretty sure would succeed at Kansas. Buzz and Miller are about the only ones. Which kind of highlights how lucky they got with Self.

roy + bill is a lightning strike.  no one is saying ku would be texas tech at this point, but none of those other coaches would have the sustained level of success bill and roy has had.

don't be rough ridin' stupid ben, you know this is true (you also know izzo would never go to ku).
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2013, 11:17:30 PM »
 don't  forget  Kentucky had to hire BCG once upon a time -  guys who already  have  it  good  don't  always want  the  pressure  of a  Blue  Blood

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Hypothetical Coaching Search
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2013, 11:17:41 PM »

do you think your options today would equal that list? I don't. (I don't think ku was on the brink of collapse,either, but I don't think you would have gotten izzo or have been as successful with crean.)

I mean you got a top five coach nationally, you have to acknowledge a little luck being involved.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »
Side Note: I always heard Brad Stevens would listen to Indiana, but not really anywhere else.  I'm sure he'd listen to other schools, but realistically, with where Butler is now headed as a member of the Big East, I think the odds of him ever leaving a God-like existence and sitting on piles of Fox TV money over the next thirty years is probably about the same as me flying to the moon on a unicorn.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2013, 11:18:21 PM »
You guys just don't understand how good of a job KU really is.  We signed Self after he had tons of success at Illinois.  Izzo was actively interested in the KU job back when Roy left.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2013, 11:20:09 PM »
Weber?
I said this earlier in the year and Chings ripped my head off for it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2013, 11:22:12 PM »
You guys just don't understand how good of a job KU really is.  We signed Self after he had tons of success at Illinois.  Izzo was actively interested in the KU job back when Roy left.

Miller now has arguably accomplished more than Self had when hired by ku.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »

he's been a coach at MSU for 30 years.  you are a functional Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

ku probably has a shot at coach k or jim bohiem in your world as well right?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »

1) That was a decade ago, before the Big Ten hit the jackpot and now has revenues that are out of this world (MSU has the highest operating margin and revenue of any program in the nation, I believe...)

2) Izzo is a lot older now.  It's much less likely to pull an old guy away.

KU will get a good coach, but a lot of the elites are going to have a harder time because most schools (except us) are keeping their good coaches, and a lot of the really good ones with KU acceptable resumes are already in great and/or elite jobs and probably don't want to take that risk.

KU was a CLEAR step up from Illinois.  MSU and KU, given what Izzo has built, is not that much of a step up.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2013, 11:28:03 PM »

Miller now has arguably accomplished more than Self had when hired by ku.

Given how down the Pac-12 is, and how good a program Arizona is, Miller is going to be hard pressed to leave that job any time soon.

catzacker

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »
Great thread.

You can take Smart and Miller off the list. KU boosters hate both of them (and the feeling is mutual w/ Smart).

Buzz Williams and Tad Boyle are the most logical suggestions so far, imo.

Maybe Stevens.

Why do they hate Miller?   Because of their game with Zona in '10 where it got kind of chippy?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »
Izzo stays where he is.

Offline YoungEMAWney1

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2013, 11:55:04 PM »
My boss's dad is a huge MSU alum, played football there, the story goes that Izzo's only thing left to do in bball is the NBA.  He told me point blank, Izzo would never leave, I brought this up when Self was flirting with OSU.  My boss's dad and Izzo are close friends, apparently.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2013, 12:05:53 AM »

1) That was a decade ago, before the Big Ten hit the jackpot and now has revenues that are out of this world (MSU has the highest operating margin and revenue of any program in the nation, I believe...)

2) Izzo is a lot older now.  It's much less likely to pull an old guy away.

KU will get a good coach, but a lot of the elites are going to have a harder time because most schools (except us) are keeping their good coaches, and a lot of the really good ones with KU acceptable resumes are already in great and/or elite jobs and probably don't want to take that risk.

KU was a CLEAR step up from Illinois.  MSU and KU, given what Izzo has built, is not that much of a step up.

All good points.  I still think that if KU offered Izzo $6+ million a year, we could get him.  It wouldn't be easy, though.