Author Topic: KSU vs. LaSalle Good, Bad, Ugly  (Read 6638 times)

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
KSU vs. LaSalle Good, Bad, Ugly
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:57:19 PM »
oscar Weber and the Wildcats squandered a golden opportunity to make a nice run in the Big Dance.

The Good

Jordan Henriquez was an incredibly great mismatch and we got a lot out of it. 12 Rebounds, 17 points, 5 Blocks, 2 turnovers, 3 fouls on 28 minutes!!!!!!

Shane Southwell was 7-10 from the field and was the obvious hot shooter of the day (obvious to all except for Angel and oscar). Put him down for 17 points, 4 rebounds, and assist, a steal, a block and 1 turnover in 38 minutes.

We only had 9 turnovers and outrebounded them by 4.

The Bad               :bang:

This was truly one of the worst coaching performances I have ever seen. We should have won the game by 20 even with Rodney and Angel having bad games. Shane was Hot, JO was hot and there were likely one or two guys on the bench that could have been hot but we will never know.

We only forced LaSalle into 8 turnovers. DJamer didn't play   :curse:.   Nino only played 2 minutes   :bawl:. Diaz none   :facepalm: and Omari none   :dubious:. When you are playing that bad in the first half you have to try different things. Different players and/or different defenses. Our bench was left on the bench and it is the most important part of this years success. We won most of our games because somebody randomly would step up and be ready to play bball. You try things and some will fail but some may work and the momentum may change.

Angel had a horrible game and played 36 (Reminder I love Angel but you can't let any member of the team play that bad and get 36 minutes when other reasonable options are available).    :sdeek:

The 2-3 Zone would have prevented LaSalles easy buckets and given JO more energy to play more minutes, which we needed from him today. More minutes and more targets. LaSalle only played 7 people (just like us) and we never went with the two post lineup.  Diaz and JO could have torn them up on offense and then played zone on defense. The rim would have been protected and we force them to shoot threes. We should have fouled out 2 or three of their players and COASTED to a victory.        :driving:

The Ugly

4 Seed at Bramlage East loses to a staggeringly inferior team and some people are waking up to the realization that we hired a really bad basketball coach.

:horrorsurprise:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: KSU vs. LaSalle Good, Bad, Ugly
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:58:28 PM »
BTW, your input is welcome here. We won't call you a squawk, unless you're a squawk!!!  :shakesfist:
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »
Pretty good post.

catzacker

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:01:21 PM »
why work on having a zone defense when you can spend time practicing jumpshots and super awesome plays?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »
Some excellent points.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »
I love you, Andrew. Please give me a great big hug :bawl:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
why work on having a zone defense when you can spend time practicing jumpshots and super awesome plays?

biggest coaching flaw of the year.  We played 99.9% of the year in man defense and or soft full court trap in to man.  I would say 100%, but I am leaving open the possibility that I missed something.

This hurt us because we did not play well at all against zone unless we just hit threes and because we never had a second option when we weren't playing well to try and break up a run.

Offline chemhawk

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »
Weber clearly outcoached his opponent in 2nd half. Clearly. 

LaSalle was unconscious in first half. Weber made some nice adjustments.  You missed too many FT to make up the ground you needed.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »

LaSalle was unconscious in first half. Weber made some nice adjustments.  You missed too many FT to make up the ground you needed.

the fact that we had to adjust to anything was baffling

Offline chemhawk

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 07:19:46 PM »

the fact that we had to adjust to anything was baffling

Yup. It happens, people go nuts.   Georgetown agrees.

Offline KSUfaithful

• Fan
  • Why hello there
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »
The white guys on Florida Gulf Coast are beasting out

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 08:28:54 PM »
Starting Spradling. Why the eff would you do that? Obviously horrible matchup against LaSalle's speed and let them get off to a quick start.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
FGCU has been playing with ridiculous offensive efficiency all year. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »

Weber's major adjustment was to stop benching his 7 footer when the only post player on La Salle is just 6'6". I'm not going to give him credit for taking 20 minutes to figure that out.

Offline Doberman_CATS!!!

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »
good, me masturbatuing in the bathroom,

bad

sutpid rough ridin' crap everywehre

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 10:15:31 PM »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:49:54 PM »
good, me masturbatuing in the bathroom,

bad

sutpid rough ridin' crap everywehre
Ya no we hava spell checker.  :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 12:56:44 AM »
with the caveat that i didn't see the game, so i don't know if some players weren't playing hard, it's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to remove a better player for a worse one without a reason.  the better player not playing well is not a reason unless there is an identifiable reason that the better player is playing poorly (like he's hurt or not playing hard). 
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
with the caveat that i didn't see the game, so i don't know if some players weren't playing hard, it's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to remove a better player for a worse one without a reason.  the better player not playing well is not a reason unless there is an identifiable reason that the better player is playing poorly (like he's hurt or not playing hard).

I am not saying that Rodney and Angel should have been benched but they played 76 minutes and JO was much more effective than them. I would love to have seen Diaz come in at 4 with JO at 5 and then Southwell play 3 for a spell.

It would mean Shane gets more of the outside shots and Diaz and JO can try to foul out a small, undeep LaSalle team. The first half looked like crap so I don't think it would have killed us to take a look at it for a couple of possessions.

Putting two Bigs out there at once multiplies the problems for a very small team. Their best big has to guard JO and then the question is who guards Diaz?

Dunk City!!!!

:dance:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
It would mean that our offense would completely self destruct.  Running a motion with two bigs that don't play motion together at the same time, for the first time in an NCAA game, would be dumb.  Especially for Diaz who doesn't seem to fully grasp the offense for the position he actually is supposed to play.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 10:41:01 AM »
am i remembering correctly that "free throws don't matter" is a goEMAW talking point? well if so, those people can eff off.

Offline FuzzyWuzzy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »
am i remembering correctly that "free throws don't matter" is a goEMAW talking point? well if so, those people can eff off.

well, the reward for improving at free throws isn't all that great.  if K-State shot 73% instead of 68% this year that would be like 1 more point per game.  still, free throws are too easy for anyone to be bad at imo

catzacker

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 10:50:26 AM »
FT % doesn't matter.  FT Rate does. 

But because oscar values a 15 footer over attacking the rim, he limits the rate at which FT's will be shot and therefore, stupidly, puts more pressure on the limited amount of times you get at the line.

catzacker

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »
ex.

Team A shoots 90% from the line but gets 10 attempts (9/10)

Team B shoots 70% from the line but gets 20 attempts (14/20)

which is more valueable?

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
If oscar's studly offense prevents us from ever taking advantage of small lineups than to hell with it.

Just run high low and the weave and actually win the game.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:22:23 PM by AndrewVonLintel »