Author Topic: Electric dog fence  (Read 1873 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Electric dog fence
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:15:06 PM »
Anyone have one?

My adorable little pup has learned how to climb the 4ft chain link fence in my backyard and keeps getting in the neighbors yard to play with their dog.

Was thinking about getting an electric fence with a collar and weaving it around the top of the fence instead of burying it. Will this work? Would the metal chain link fence interfere with it?

Any suggestions on how to keep the dog in the backyard?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Electric dog fence
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »
Anyone have one?

My adorable little pup has learned how to climb the 4ft chain link fence in my backyard and keeps getting in the neighbors yard to play with their dog.

Was thinking about getting an electric fence with a collar and weaving it around the top of the fence instead of burying it. Will this work? Would the metal chain link fence interfere with it?

Any suggestions on how to keep the dog in the backyard?

You should bury it. My dog has one, it works like a charm. The dog will figure it out pretty quickly so don't worry about it getting tortured.

Do that or build a bigger fence.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »
I have one. Dog learned super quickly. I think he got zapped about two times total. I have a fence now, but before I moved, he wouldn't go anywhere near the line even without the collar.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »
Is he a hunting dog ben ji?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
No hunting dog, just an adorable dog.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
In that case I've heard they are awesome.  Wish it was option for me.  If you want a good contact to talk to, sell one to you, PM me.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
It's a worthless dalmation... this should solve all of your problems. 

"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
Don't get this, doesn't work.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
we have an Invisible Fence, came with the house.   Works well when we remember to put the collar on.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »
Got one this fall.  It's awesome.  If you don't go the DIY route, get the plan from the provider where they automatically mail you batteries every so often.  It triggers your dumbass memory to change the batteries. 

Also, ask for a second set of batteries up front and change them about 50% of the way through what they tell you the battery life is.  one of my dogs burnt through the battery in like 6 weeks because she was challenging the fence very often in the training phase(sound that goes off before they turn the shock on).

My dog has gotten out three times.  All three were due to batteries being out.

I love it because it is super nice not having a fence now.  Easier to mow/maintain by not having a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) amt of trimming and looks better imo.

Also, my other dog is a hound(known for being very stubborn) and she was trained instantly upon receiving her first shock.

Also, don't worry about some ppl saying this is cruel.  I shocked my forearm before buying the thing and it feels basically they same as putting a 9v battery on your tongue.  Its enough to surprise you, but not hurt at all.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
How close can the dog get before the buzzer goes off? My backyard isnt huge and if the dog cant go within 5 feet of the fence it will prob hate its life because all it can do it sit in the middle of the yard.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »
How close can the dog get before the buzzer goes off? My backyard isnt huge and if the dog cant go within 5 feet of the fence it will prob hate its life because all it can do it sit in the middle of the yard.

3' on mine.

my fence starts with a sound that is high pitched(i can't hear it but my kids can).  It does that for a full second to let the dog get out of the 3' field.  If the dog doesn't, it gets a correction.  The biggest part of the training is getting them used to hearing that and reacting accordingly.  Was told that some dogs just keep going and cross the field before the second is up and that if that happens, they can shorten or remove the delay from sound to shock.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »
I already have a chain link fence so i'm not worried about the dog just walking right past the shock portion. I'd prefer something that has just a 1' sound/shock range so it can approach the chain link fence but not go up right next to it and start climbing on it.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
I already have a chain link fence so i'm not worried about the dog just walking right past the shock portion. I'd prefer something that has just a 1' sound/shock range so it can approach the chain link fence but not go up right next to it and start climbing on it.

May be adjustable?  I didn't ask about that.  My yard is huge, so this never really crossed my mind.  Should probably start there when calling companies or looking into the DIY ones.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:43 PM »
Yeah, you can adjust it and take out the sound. Trust me, the dog will learn that it can't go that close to the fence. They're much better at spatial recognition than humans are.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »
We had a whippet and it generally worked on him.  Problem with racing dogs is if they are running fast enough after a rabbit or something, they won't feel crap.  The dog learns within a week not to go near the flags, and then finally they just know where the boundary is. Most of the time they won't even recognize if the collar is on or not, so they'll stay the hell away regardless.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 06:14:11 PM »
the worst thing is when/if your dig figures out he can run full speed and get a very short shock and then be out of the yard.   

if you can't put the wire in the fence line, could you bury it just outside the fence line?   usually your fence isn't right on the property line.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
No hunting dog, just an adorable dog.

:love: Chicat's favorite type of dog

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »
We had a whippet and it generally worked on him.  Problem with racing dogs is if they are running fast enough after a rabbit or something, they won't feel crap.  The dog learns within a week not to go near the flags, and then finally they just know where the boundary is. Most of the time they won't even recognize if the collar is on or not, so they'll stay the hell away regardless.

This is a good post and it reflects my opinions on electric fences.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 07:12:39 PM »
Also guys the sell dummy collars.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »
some dogs don't seem to care about getting shocked if they really want what is on the other side of the electric fence (like the neighbor's dog).  something to keep in my mind.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 10:59:46 PM »
haven't used the the buried wire, but my dad has a remote collar for his dog (who can be aggressive sometimes around new people) and it works great.  1 zap and he stops in his tracks.

growing up we had a live wire running around the fence in our backyard.  it was turned off most of the time, but if they started trying to get out we'd turn it on and they'd stay away for a few months.  one time my mom's little 5lb poodle touched it (it was set for 100lb+ dogs, so pretty zappy) and he ran around in a circle for 10 minutes straight.  no joke.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »
too bad that dogs are so stupid that they need things like electric fences.

save yourself some money, just buy a tractor tire and a rope.  tie your dog to it.  much more humane than shock therapy. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 08:12:53 AM »
I think the problem is that dogs are smart enough to realize they don't necessarily have to listen if they don't want to.  Of those smart dogs some are motivated or distracted enough to do something, others are lazy or not horny enough to take action.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »
A 4 ft fence is just really short. Ben ji, are you sure that your dog is climbing the fence and not just jumping over it?