Author Topic: Petro on coach ratings.  (Read 5312 times)

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Petro on coach ratings.
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
[If you're reading this thread intending to whine about Petro, please go here.]

Petro revisited his Big 12 coach ratings today.  IIRC, they were:

1.  Self

2.  Barnes

3.  Jeff Capel
4.  Mike Anderson

5.  Frank Martin (up from 7th earlier this year)
6.  Mark Turgeon
7.  Scott Drew
8.  Travis Ford

9.  Jeff Bz
10-12 McDermott, Doc, Pat Knight

Said that if Frank wins tomorrow, he probably rises to 3rd.  Drew can also move up by winning. 

Said that the rankings are based on a combination of previous accomplishments and outlook for the future.  According to these standards, the rankings seem pretty solid.  Anderson does have the Big 12 tourney trophy and the E8 last year, as well as some tourney success at UAB, so I think it's fair to keep him above Frank until Frank reaches the E8, although I think Frank's got a better outlook for the future, so it might be better to have those guys as tied right now.

I would probably rank Mike and Frank 3rd right now, with Capel down by Ford.  Sure, Capel reached the E8 last year, but his program currently seems to disintegrating.  If looking to the future is part of the rankings, OU's future for the next couple of years, at least, looks pretty cloudy.   

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Petro on coach ratings.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:26:34 PM »
Self #1?  :lol:

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
Barnes not in the bottom half?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Other than that, I'm ok with this list.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
Sounds like Capel is losing Mason-Griffin, Warren, and Gallon next year in addition to Crocker graduating.

Eeesh. Bummer Sooner

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:32:59 PM »
LOL at #1,2,3,4,5,7.  Petro is a total booger-eating Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  Though I would like to know where he would rank oscar Weber on this list. 

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »
Sounds like Capel is losing Mason-Griffin, Warren, and Gallon next year in addition to Crocker graduating.

Eeesh. Bummer Sooner

Where is TMG going???

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »

Eeesh. Bummer Sooner

Where is TMG going???

pro

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
Capel has to be the worst.  Can't recall a coach having his entire program disintegrate like this and still keep his job...

Well, maybe Wooldridge.

Offline ToupeeFearsTheBeard

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 12:46:38 PM »
Doc has to be ATLEAST top 3

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 12:46:49 PM »
Barnes not in the bottom half?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Other than that, I'm ok with this list.

Barnes has been to a final four and an elite eight.  No one else besides Self has.  That's why hes there.  Also has won conference championships.

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 12:51:35 PM »
Hmm, based on accomplishments alone, that's a decent list, but future outlook (measured in part by likelihood of being fired) should look something like this:

1. Frank
2. Self
3. Anderson
4. Drew
5. Barnes
6. Turgeon
7. Ford
8. Bzzz
9. Knight
10. Doc
11. Capel
12. McNeck
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
This run is great, but I don't think any more of Frank as a coach if he wins tomorrow, and wouldn't have thought any less of him if he lost to BYU.  It just annoys me that someone would think he's magically better than 2 coaches because of one game.

catzacker

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 12:57:52 PM »
This run is great, but I don't think any more of Frank as a coach if he wins tomorrow, and wouldn't have thought any less of him if he lost to BYU.  It just annoys me that someone would think he's magically better than 2 coaches because of one game.

this. frank doens't have a long enough track record or accomplished enough for people to be outraged at Petro's list.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »

Yeah.  If I were ranking coaches from scratch, I would pretty much rely on chances of future success...which in and of itself depends somewhat on what they've accomplished in the past.  In that context, the result tomorrow doesn't matter much.  A run to the Final Four would add a bit.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 01:16:51 PM »
LOL at Capel being third.  32-32 in conference with two seasons of no post-season play at a school that had been to either the NCAA or NIT in each of the 23 years prior to his arrival.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 01:19:33 PM »
i d0n't think he sh0uld include past acc0mplishments 0utside 0f the b12 actually.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »
Average big 12 finish?

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 01:31:41 PM »
LOL at Capel being third.  32-32 in conference with two seasons of no post-season play at a school that had been to either the NCAA or NIT in each of the 23 years prior to his arrival.

This.  Capel is too high.  Only real complaint.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:25 PM »

Agreed.  It's purely idoitic to rank a coach based on one game.   Capel is a better coach than Frank, but if we beat Xavier, Frank is a better coach than Capel.   :confused:

What sucks is that this ruhtarded logic is coming from Petro, who I think is the best in the biz in KC talk radio.  I could see this asshattery coming from Kietz, but Petro?  wtF?

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 01:39:05 PM »
At least Frank is being paid like a middle of the pack Big XII coach now.  He's no longer in Doc and McNeck's world.

catzacker

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »
Few things:

- The original rankings were as of January 2010.  
- He's basing his rankings by what they've done and what he thinks they'll do.  Therefore, he gives weight to Capel as a recruiter because, on his own, he got multiple McD AA's over his tenure, but also admitted that this year's on the court results for Capel has him questioning his ranking.
- The rankings are fluid.

Lastly, who gives a sh*t.  We're all happy with Frank, but realize that he needs to keep recruiting (the '10 and '11 classes are underwhelming, imo).

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
I WONDER IF PATROS HAND IS STINGING FROM THIS GIANT SLAP IN THE FACE HE HAS JUST DELIVERED TO OUR OWN FRANCIS MARTIN.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »
This run is great, but I don't think any more of Frank as a coach if he wins tomorrow, and wouldn't have thought any less of him if he lost to BYU.  It just annoys me that someone would think he's magically better than 2 coaches because of one game.

Petro has been touting tomorrow as a "must win" for Frank all week. It's a hilariously stupid talking point, but he's riding that pony to its grave.

According to him, if we lose to Xavier, this season will be a disappointment and Frank "really didn't do that great of a coaching job"; if we win, the season is already an overachievement and success regardless of how far we go after that.

Like I said: hilariously stupid.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 02:30:35 PM »
I know one person who is happy about this; Kevin Kietzman.  After weeks of absorbing the wrath of GPC, Petro today has taken over the mantle.

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »
I don't recall petro giving us much love if any ever (to include FB). Dude is a Syracuse-loving, Bill Self fellacio-giving jackass... Hey Soren, nice list - remind me again which coach got Big 12 COY again? Considering this was as of Jan, I wonder if the #1 changed at all after uk bowing out early...
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.