Author Topic: KSU Booze Cats  (Read 598956 times)

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: KSU Booze Cats
« Reply #6700 on: May 23, 2024, 09:21:07 PM »
Gene isn't making any move, my brotha, so might as well hope for the tournament and a lucky run.

why not?  There is not objective measuring stick that pete hughes doesn't suck

It's because of that dipshit extension Mean Gene gave him

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: May 23, 2024, 09:26:14 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: May 24, 2024, 11:21:58 AM »
Drop to #47 in RPI on #43 in KPI.

Baseball America and D1baseball.com both have us as one of the last 4 teams in.

Sweaty weekend ahead for Hughes...

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: May 26, 2024, 08:53:22 PM »
Due to bid stealers, Baseball America now has us as the first team out.

Interestingly, their last 3 teams in all have lower RPIs than KSU (44): James Madison (45), Georgia Tech (46) and Indiana (56).

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: May 27, 2024, 11:22:44 AM »
We did it!  :ksu:

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6705 on: May 27, 2024, 11:58:02 AM »
Hell yeah
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: May 27, 2024, 08:36:57 PM »
TCU was better than us by almost every measure (KPI, RPI, beat us 3 games to 1, etc.). But, they didn't have someone on the committee and we did. We're in and they're out.

Thanks Casey Scott!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: May 27, 2024, 08:51:49 PM »
what got us in is the ungodly amount of respect that people have for hughes

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: May 27, 2024, 10:05:20 PM »
TCU was better than us by almost every measure (KPI, RPI, beat us 3 games to 1, etc.). But, they didn't have someone on the committee and we did. We're in and they're out.

Thanks Casey Scott!

Yeah this is seriously messed up.  College baseball may have the worst selection process in all of college athletics. 

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: May 28, 2024, 09:07:57 AM »

Thanks Casey Scott!

Yeah this is seriously messed up.  College baseball may have the worst selection process in all of college athletics.
It's seriously messed up that you wouldn't rig a process with zero repercussions for someone you love. Casey Scott love's his Kansas State Wildcats.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 09:11:14 AM by GregKSU1027 »
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: May 28, 2024, 09:30:05 AM »
ran all the scenarios of possible outcomes for the regional and super regional and lets just say i went ahead and booked myself a flight to omaha

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: May 28, 2024, 09:41:07 AM »
A lot of you owe Pete and apology
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: May 28, 2024, 12:17:07 PM »
A lot of you owe Pete and apology

I'm going to let Mean Gene's upcoming lifetime extension for Hughes do the talking for me

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: May 28, 2024, 10:59:56 PM »
So on a scale of oscar winning a dr pepper to Prince beating Texas, how bad is this for our baseball program?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: May 28, 2024, 11:19:34 PM »
It's very different. We've never had any success in baseball and we're never going to have any sustained success so hoping for Pete to get mumped isn't really the same as it is in football and basketball. We're always going to have the resources resembling a middling AAC program, no matter who our coach is. It's what makes Pete so frustrating is that he's really maximizing recruiting but he's underachieving once he gets the talent here. Just enjoy what we have and hope we can make an unforseen run every few years or so. This is never going to look appreciably better. The only reason why we never Iowa State'd baseball is that we literally can't drop another sport.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: May 29, 2024, 08:01:11 AM »
Counterpoint: let’s just go be really good at baseball every season

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: May 29, 2024, 08:25:14 AM »
Arguably, we're at a bigger disadvantage in baseball than any other sport - it's not fully funded (11.7 scholarships for rosters of 30+ players), it's a summer sport being played starting in February, we're still in winter when we start playing, we're in a small population state, etc.

Having said all of that, if/when baseball becomes fully funded, that'll help level the playing field.

MIR is 100 percent correct - Hughes is - by far - the best we've ever had when it comes to bringing talent in. But, he's a bad in-game coach and his teams are always incredibly sloppy/fundamentally poor.

It is what it is.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: May 29, 2024, 09:13:55 AM »
i don't disagree with any of that, although i have to say i struggle to think that heart throb rob wouldn't have appreciably more success if he was the skipper. maybe not a step change difference, but I'd bet he'd have us in the tourney at least 3 of every 5 years, comfortably, without having to bubblewatch.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: May 29, 2024, 09:30:55 AM »
can't we NIL some major studs?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: May 29, 2024, 09:49:58 AM »
CARL ICE WTF GIVE US SOME CASH

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6720 on: May 29, 2024, 09:50:44 AM »
Idea: we give Ice the gE MLB login and get him super into baseball

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: May 29, 2024, 12:19:51 PM »
It's very different. We've never had any success in baseball and we're never going to have any sustained success so hoping for Pete to get mumped isn't really the same as it is in football and basketball. We're always going to have the resources resembling a middling AAC program, no matter who our coach is. It's what makes Pete so frustrating is that he's really maximizing recruiting but he's underachieving once he gets the talent here. Just enjoy what we have and hope we can make an unforseen run every few years or so. This is never going to look appreciably better. The only reason why we never Iowa State'd baseball is that we literally can't drop another sport.
Honest question...how did OK State, Nebraska, Michigan, OU, Arkansas, Oregon State, Wichita State, etc. do it? What resources are we lacking?

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: May 29, 2024, 01:52:08 PM »
Honest question...how did OK State, Nebraska, Michigan, OU, Arkansas, Oregon State, Wichita State, etc. do it? What resources are we lacking?

Taking a shot...

OK State/OU - have good facilities plus decent in-state talent plus proximity to Texas

Nebraska - have great facilities, but really hasn't been an elite program outside of a few runs here and there

Michigan - somebody has to win the Big Ten? Same as Nebraska, not an elite program outside of a few blips

Arkansas - elite facilities (named best college baseball stadium in the country), great fans, proximity to Texas, play in the SEC, etc.

Oregon State - true outlier in that they have all the disadvantages we have and have been elite; most of success achieved under coaches who stayed for a long time

Wichita State - they cared when few programs did (80s/90s) and built (at the time) elite facilities. Since Stephenson was fired in 2013, they haven't done anything of note

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: May 29, 2024, 03:00:00 PM »

Taking a shot...

OK State/OU - have good facilities plus decent in-state talent plus proximity to Texas

Nebraska - have great facilities, but really hasn't been an elite program outside of a few runs here and there

Michigan - somebody has to win the Big Ten? Same as Nebraska, not an elite program outside of a few blips

Arkansas - elite facilities (named best college baseball stadium in the country), great fans, proximity to Texas, play in the SEC, etc.

Oregon State - true outlier in that they have all the disadvantages we have and have been elite; most of success achieved under coaches who stayed for a long time

Wichita State - they cared when few programs did (80s/90s) and built (at the time) elite facilities. Since Stephenson was fired in 2013, they haven't done anything of note
Thanks. I haven’t been to a baseball game in 20 years. I thought we had pretty decent facilities. A lot of these statements, while likely true, seem similar (to me) to the comments that catch a lot of flack for why we cant recruit coaching and playing talent in football or basketball. I hope our admin expect we make a regional more often than once per decade. Maybe KSU should allow Texas students to pay in-state tuition like many others do? We could still give Kansas residents preferential treatment.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: May 29, 2024, 03:21:56 PM »
Do they offer the same amount of scholarships as us?  I would imagine that's a big difference.